Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sophistication is best synonymous with this one
San Francisco 84 30.11%
Boston 91 32.62%
Philadelphia 35 12.54%
Washington 69 24.73%
Voters: 279. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 07:52 AM

857 posts, read 1,366,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Directly from your article:

Last I checked, half ain't most, and New York, Los Angeles, Chicago and Pittsburgh ain't suburbs of Philadelphia. Furthermore, if you look again at the map I posted (giving you the benefit of the doubt that you even bothered to a first time), the counties shaded in blue are those that Philadelphia had a net positive migration with between 2009 and 2010. There are about as many of them as there are red counties.

And click on any core metropolitan county on this interactive map, and chances are you'll see a bright red ring around each of them, indicating a net negative migration from the core county to the fringe counties. It's Philadelphia, New York, Boston, Baltimore, Washington DC, Miami, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis, Minneapolis, Dallas, Denver Los Angeles, and many more. Hell, the only core county I could find that defies this trend is Fulton County, GA (Atlanta).

Not only have I discredited you, but you own source discredited you too. Give up. You lose.
Oops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 09:46 PM

7 posts, read 11,656 times
Default guys, let's face it...DC is a company town with only supplicants making it tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Right! This list is hilarious! As Caymon mention, no city does state dinners, embassy parties and recpetions, Smithsonian endowment parties, museum functions, political gatherings, President's Kennedy Center Honors, White House Correspondence dinners, etc.. like DC. DC's haterism is at an all time high.
I need to get a reprieve from people thinking high-gloss = high standard of living. DC is always going to be in a defensive stance because it is not risk-taking and adventure that drives DC, but security, gamesmanship, and militarism. San Francisco, Boston, and Philadelphia are creative centers with life and chance at the forefront. DC is a cynical BMW dog and pony show with no heart.

No matter how abrasive these DC posters become, they will never come up with an argument that isn't based on corporate real estate development patterns and federal state power displays as their city's raison d'etre. Time to call a spade a spade people...

Old 05-17-2013, 12:55 PM

607 posts, read 1,373,160 times
DC
San Francisco
Boston
Philly

Not gonna try to argue my points.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:55 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noculture View Post
I need to get a reprieve from people thinking high-gloss = high standard of living. DC is always going to be in a defensive stance because it is not risk-taking and adventure that drives DC, but security, gamesmanship, and militarism. San Francisco, Boston, and Philadelphia are creative centers with life and chance at the forefront. DC is a cynical BMW dog and pony show with no heart.

No matter how abrasive these DC posters become, they will never come up with an argument that isn't based on corporate real estate development patterns and federal state power displays as their city's raison d'etre. Time to call a spade a spade people...
but what about fugazi? wasn't that fun? dischord records still exists.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:29 PM

34 posts, read 59,691 times
1. San Francisco
2. Boston
3. Philly
4. Washington

Old 05-22-2017, 08:31 PM

311 posts, read 314,004 times
Based on the OP's criteria I would say Washington, San Fran or Boston then Philly though it's definitely debatable. I think "sophistication" can be a good thing but I don't think having greater levels of it necessarily makes a city better. Regardless, all these cities have their fair share.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:10 AM

149 posts, read 153,887 times
Give me the lesser sophisticated cities. The ones that are sophisticated are full of self-important types. Yuck.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:43 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,288,838 times
In order 1. San Francisco 2. D.C 3. Boston 4. Philly People seem to forget that Boston has more blue collar types than D.C does. Most of D.C's blue collar community is the poorer areas of S.E. Also I don't see how anybody could say Philly is anything but last.

Old 05-23-2017, 05:27 PM

149 posts, read 153,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
In order 1. San Francisco 2. D.C 3. Boston 4. Philly People seem to forget that Boston has more blue collar types than D.C does. Most of D.C's blue collar community is the poorer areas of S.E. Also I don't see how anybody could say Philly is anything but last.

A very good thing. Philly's down to earth Quaker vibe is my kinda city. Similar in Chicago too.

Folks in DC, Boston and SF tend to be quite shallow and try to keep up with the Jones's.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:31 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,596,784 times
I think this conversation begins to veer into classism when we start equating sophistication with wealth and educational levels --it's much more nuanced than that, and neither is a prerequisite for being a sophisticated person.

Even if we're going down the path of using education and wealth as a proxy for sophistication, I think many forget that even in these "sophistication" hubs, there is a far bigger working-class community than folks tend to acknowledge.

Even in the super white-collar DC area, only a bare majority are in jobs requiring formal education. SF, Boston, and Philly all rank very high at a national level, but still majorities of each of their metro workforces would not be considered white-collar: http://www.bizjournals.com/bizjourna...07101735926574
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City