Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 08:09 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,510,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Collectively, SoFla has more than Chicago. Mag Mile may have the scale size, but metro to metro Miami goes toe to toe with Chicago.
I'm not sure if SoFL has more, but I'd be more inclined to say it does too myself just because of it's destination for tourist.

However, I know you don't believe that any one district in Miami can go toe to toe with the Magnificent Mile, do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 10:15 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,908,718 times
Miami metro area has alot of Highend shopping centers and Highend outlet centers

Bal Harbour is 100 percent upscale.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
Well aside from the three that were taken out in the original post: New York, Los Angeles, & Chicago. I have to say the Sunbelt cities hold this fortress off so well. Shopping & fashion that is extremely prevalent in the Sunbelt more so & as an inclusion I would add in Boston & Washington to it too.

I personally would say Miami & Las Vegas up next, then Bay Area & Dallas, afterwards in this group Boston, Houston, Atlanta, Phoenix, Washington, & San Diego. I'm actually surprised San Diego hasn't been mentioned at all yet.

I haven't been to Seattle but I would expect it to be in that group.

From my personal experience of where I've seen the largest concentration of high end stores & at more recurring frequency.

San diego is loosing there Saks at fashion Valley mall

Old 11-04-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Sorry, the Mag Mile in Chicago is definitely not second tier.
It is compared to the upscale offerings Miami Vegas NY and LA

Old 11-04-2012, 10:27 AM

If this thread is only about upscale walking districts then this is a waste of a thread. Because Most US cities have Upscale inclosed malls..

Old 11-04-2012, 10:35 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
You can't believe my surprise when the first time I came back from Japan, I was walking around SoHo and see Uniqlo.

I wouldn't consider it upscale, though. It's kind of H&M-level.

Uniqlo seems all the rage - rampant rumors now here of one opening on 16th and Chestnut in the vacated chapter 11 Daffys - Never been inside a Uniqlo and if its H&M like would rather have C21 than another H&M as a replacement for Daffys - the Other rumor is a Nordstrom Rack in this space which to me I would personally prefer, shoe pairing counter and all...

Old 11-04-2012, 10:53 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
I'm not talking about J.Crew and Sephora. I'm talking about true high end shopping (Ermenegildo Zegna, Billy Reid, Balenciaga, Bottega Veneta, et al.)

The United States only has a handful of these districts, Palm Beach, Beverly Hills, Union Square, Uptown Houston, Buckhead, Upper East Side, Magnificent Mile, so on and so fourth.

So, my question is simply: Which ones are the best?

And to make it debate worthy, take away Los Angeles, Chicago, and New York. Now, let the debate begin.

Of those not removed to me probably SF (Union Sq) and Boston (Newbury) area would be my personal choices with NYC and Chicago removed.

On high end malls there are so many

One piece of particularly good news to me. Philly an area that has the largest retail sq footage mall in the country (with no shortage of high end) has it's (KOP) Macy's about to be taken over in sales from the DT store. Of further significance is Macy's is likely to expand the retail space in the CC location adding three additional floors in an amazing old Dept Store on Market.

The current Macy's (Truly a grand store)

Opera Company of Philadelphia "Hallelujah!" Random Act of Culture - YouTube

Also PREIT is finishing the pruchase of the complete Gallery and has just PR'ed the 300 million renovation to turn the urban mall inside out. And more rumors of a DT Nordstrom and Boscovs (East Coast Macys like Dept store). Philly has come a long way on retail since it hit rock bottom in probably 1985-90. Not Union Sq or Newbury though but getting much better.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:00 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

Anyway, one of the recent additions is hip budget Japanese retailer Uniqlo. I think they also have a location(s) in NYC. Here's a pic of their SF pop-up store on Post. Their new store is on Powell.
There is a Uniqlo coming Center City Philadelphia as well.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:05 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
Here's my list in order.

Top Teir
New York
Los Angeles
Miami
Las Vegas

Second Tier
Chicago
Dallas
San Francisco

Third Tier
Boston
Washington
Atlanta
Houston

Fourth Tier
Phoenix
San Diego
Philadelphia
Detroit
Orlando
IDK about this list... what are we looking at? Just city or are we looking at metro? If on the metro level Philadelphia would certainly be second tier. Have you heard of King of Prussia?

Old 11-04-2012, 12:55 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
There is a Uniqlo coming Center City Philadelphia as well.
Well that's certainly conceivable because according to reports online they are planning to expand to 20-30 US stores but so far they have 3 stores in Manhattan, 1 in Paramus and 1 in San Francisco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City