Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York City vs San Francisco
New York 310 56.36%
San Francisco 240 43.64%
Voters: 550. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 09:39 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,175,298 times

Advertisements

It's just an ego boost, though it does indicate a city's power--Moscow is Russia's premier city, after all. Although Wyoming crushes everyone, per capita wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2014, 11:19 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
I've promised myself that I will never live somewhere that isn't Miami, New York, Tokyo, London, Hong Kong, Singapore, or Seoul ever again. After living my life near Washington DC for two years, I never understood how miserable I was until I left that toy-city/second-rate/second-class city.

New York by far. Only place in the United States I would leave Southeast Florida for, ever. Only places not named Miami or New York I personally view favorably are Chicago and Los Angeles, two other cities I really admire.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:28 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
idk perhaps, but Hudson County vs the Oakland Area(Oakland, Berkeley, Emeryville, Piedmont, Alameda, San Leando, Albany & Kensington) is actually a better comparison imo.
I would think either Hudson County versus Oakland (about the same size) or Newark versus Oakland (second city versus second city, though Newark is about half the size and population of Oakland). Possibly East Bay versus Northern New Jersey?

Old 12-12-2014, 11:30 AM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
I've promised myself that I will never live somewhere that isn't Miami, New York, Tokyo, London, Hong Kong, Singapore, or Seoul ever again. After living my life near Washington DC for two years, I never understood how miserable I was until I left that toy-city/second-rate/second-class city.

New York by far. Only place in the United States I would leave Southeast Florida for, ever. Only places not named Miami or New York I personally view favorably are Chicago and Los Angeles, two other cities I really admire.
How does Miami fit into that though? Also, there are a lot of great megacities you're leaving off your list.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
How does Miami fit into that though? Also, there are a lot of great megacities you're leaving off your list.
I live in Miami, it is where I am now from a residency point of view. The question was which one between San Francisco and New York, and I gave a reasoning that I would only leave Miami for New York, if I ever had to leave.

Yeah I know there are a lot of great megacities in the world that I didn't list, there are even a lot of great cities in the United States to live in (San Francisco is one of them) but I wouldn't personally live in them unless I absolutely had to or something.

I have a small but solid list, if I have to leave Miami (which I do in a few months for graduate school in the U.K.) those would be the places I would leave it for. Nothing more, hopefully ever.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:39 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,656,133 times
NYC is more of a place people live because they have to, whereas SF is more of a place people live because they want to.

Go from there.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:43 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
NYC is more of a place people live because they have to, whereas SF is more of a place people live because they want to.

Go from there.
It's the opposite for me.

Old 12-12-2014, 11:44 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
I live in Miami, it is where I am now from a residency point of view. The question was which one between San Francisco and New York, and I gave a reasoning that I would only leave Miami for New York, if I ever had to leave.

Yeah I know there are a lot of great megacities in the world that I didn't list, there are even a lot of great cities in the United States to live in (San Francisco is one of them) but I wouldn't live in them.

I have a small but solid list, if I have to leave Miami (which I do in a few months for graduate school in the U.K.) those would be the places I would leave it for. Nothing more, hopefully ever.
What caused you to live in Miami?

Old 12-12-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
What caused you to live in Miami?
I hated life in Washington DC.

I hated almost everything about it after the first four months to six months of being there. It was not worth living in. I could not get used to the climate, would suffer from skin disruptions and rash most of the winter months, would have to spend much of my time indoors due to that and miss long stretches of time at work. I mean I wouldn't care about climate so much if I felt like I lived somewhere that counter-balanced the depression with things going for it, Washington DC did not fit the bill for that. In spring and autumn, my eyes, throat, nose, and ears would be inflamed, as Washington has to be one of the worst places to live in if you have allergies. I hated how violent the city was, only city I have ever lived in where I felt like I was on the verge of being robbed every single time I got on Metro, and eventually it led up to not ever using public transit again after I actually WAS robbed on Metro and just having to use the car for everything. The parking situation is a piece of (expletive), the Capital Beltway and major road networks in Northern Virginia were essentially surface parking lots, the city is small and almost entirely chain ridden right in it's mother-effin core. Washington is expensive as hell for what you get, which isn't much. The only thing the place has going for it, in my personal opinion, is the high paying government jobs and since the scale-back in federal funding, a good amount of those jobs (especially for the Military Industrial Complex) have been cut and replaced with lower paying construction jobs. Technically Washington DC area is experiencing a "annual job growth" but the reason it's Real GDP has actually declined in the past year is because the jobs that were cut are FAR more productive than the ones that replaced them. This in general has created a log-jam in the area, you never know if you're going to be layed off or what type of work you'll have to transition into. While it's boosters will tell you the "economy is diverse, we are more than just the government" that is close to a lie. While other industries exist in Washington DC, almost all of those industries are tied to the government in one way or another, so when government cuts back, hiring freezes occur in these industries as well, or at best, slow to moderate growth in those industries. Including mine, which is coding and programming.

I quit work and moved to Miami, it is more affordable (especially as I moved to Miami without a job) and the pace, people, location is far more tolerable than Washington DC. Miami is FAR out of the realm of my family (my mother, father, brothers, uncles, aunts, cousins) and given that we are a devout "family peoples," and I personally am not all that much, it was realistically the one place in America far far FAR away from the Bay Area or Houston where I could live my life in peace. As a city, it does not appeal to anyone else in my family at all, which means I can expect the intrusion to be minimal, as they wont see me as often and unlike the standards they would have for me if I lived in the Bay Area or Houston (where I would have to make a copy of my house key and give it to them all for them to be able to come over unannounced anytime they wanted). In comparison, while Miami has it's issues too, as a city, and lots of them (severe issues if I may add), in the time period I left Washington DC for Miami, Miami came out looking like a way better option. Miami is an excellent place for bird watchers (which I am, it's my hobby), people that like recreational water activities (which I do), and people that want to live a more introverted and closed off life as compared to Washington DC or places in TX, CA, IL, so on.

To be extra honest with you, I don't know whether Washington DC is Northeastern or Southern or what culturally, but I will tell you this much, I did not like what I saw there on an everyday basis. I actually have never warmed up to anywhere in the Northeast Corridor except New York, which is a massive city, literally with every walk of life to water down whatever Northeastern influences that have irritated me so much.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 12-12-2014 at 12:11 PM..

Old 12-12-2014, 12:24 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post

Go from there.
Seems like the complete opposite to me.

The Bay Area has a singular economic focus, so if you are employed in that economy, you pretty much have to live there. Note that the highest prices in the region are in boring sprawly suburbs close to the tech employment centers.

In contrast, there is no singular economic base in the NYC region, nor are the most expensive areas necessarily concentrated near employment centers, indicating that people aren't choosing their residence strictly based on employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City