Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 07:49 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,596,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
I did not predict a thing. The experts at Bloomberg Report did. Go to the sight. They projected the populations. Not me and give population as Dallas/Ft Worth.
[The list is the worlds cities ranked by density.]
They give populations for 2025 too. I merely gave the 3 cities here.
Most Crowded in 2025: Global Cities - Bloomberg Best (and Worst)
It's "site", not "sight", but ok. Dallas and Fort Worth are two different cities, so nope. We're talking about CITIES here, not MSA's. Besides, the DFW MSA is already bigger than the Houston MSA, and this thread is about Houston and Chicago. Not Dallas.

Thanks for that, Bloomberg. Next?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 08:06 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,279,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
It's "site", not "sight", but ok. Dallas and Fort Worth are two different cities, so nope. We're talking about CITIES here, not MSA's. Besides, the DFW MSA is already bigger than the Houston MSA, and this thread is about Houston and Chicago. Not Dallas.

Thanks for that, Bloomberg. Next?
Sorry the experts do not back your opinions? They do project for 2025 population increases. I merely saw they predicted Dallas/Ft Worth surpassing Houston so maybe rubbed it in to give it too ? We are adults here?
You missed I used DON'T where I should have used DOESN'T. I since went back and fixed it after you pasted my original one back with the mistake.... you missing that one?

Old 11-09-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Sorry the experts do not back your opinions? They do project for 2025 population increases. I merely saw they predicted Dallas/Ft Worth surpassing Houston so maybe rubbed it in to give it too ? We are adults here?
You missed I used DON'T where I should have used DOESN'T. I since went back and fixed it after you pasted my original one back with the mistake.... you missing that one?
How very astute of you. Now you might want to work on your reading comprehension. I'll say it one more time:

A. Dallas and Fort Worth are two... different... cities. Houston is a singular city.

B. This thread is about Houston and Chicago. Dallas has nothing to do with anything here.

C. We all know that the DFW MSA is already bigger than the Houston MSA. Neither you, nor Bloomberg is telling anybody anything new or relevant here. AGAIN, this thread is about cities, not MSA's.

I'm really not sure why you keep bringing this stuff up. It has no relevance to anything being discussed here. And once again, what's with all the excessive question marks? You sure are an inquisitive one.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:34 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
How very astute of you. Now you might want to work on your reading comprehension. I'll say it one more time:

A. Dallas and Fort Worth are two... different... cities. Houston is a singular city.

B. This thread is about Houston and Chicago. Dallas has nothing to do with anything here.

C. We all know that the DFW MSA is already bigger than the Houston MSA. Neither you, nor Bloomberg is telling anybody anything new or relevant here. AGAIN, this thread is about cities, not MSA's.

I'm really not sure why you keep bringing this stuff up. It has no relevance to anything being discussed here. And once again, what's with all the excessive question marks? You sure are an inquisitive one.
Don't disagree but wondering why the fact that Dallas and Ft Worth are two different cities is significant? It's not like city limits are that significant considering Houston proper is half the size of Rhode Island. Houston annexed its population to a huge degree, Chicago has a fraction of the land area. Dallas and Ft Worth are clearly part of the same metro and that's the important metric.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:34 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
C'mon - cook county alone has more people than Harris County.. Adding more counties like DuPage and Lake are going to thin out the density numbers for Chicago..

Remember Cook county

5.2 million people in 945 sq miles of land area for a density of 5535 ppsm. Cherry pick any 945 sq miles in any number of counties connected to Houston and see if you can find a similar profile as what is in Cook county.. Any which way you slice it you probably wont get anything more than 3500ppsm.. Good luck finding that - even Houston's city proper's density only goes to 3662ppsm which is less than Cook county let alone Chicago city proper.
All you're pointing out in this post is that Chicago's core is denser, which I have already acknowledged, so I'm not sure why you're set on trying to prove something no one is disagreeing with in the first place.

As for my point, it's simple mathematics, and I can't make it any clearer than I already have.

Did you ever state whether you had been to Houston?

Old 11-09-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Don't disagree but wondering why the fact that Dallas and Ft Worth are two different cities is significant?
Um, because they are two different cities? What's the confusion?

Quote:
It's not like city limits are that significant considering Houston proper is half the size of Rhode Island. Houston annexed its population to a huge degree, Chicago has a fraction of the land area. Dallas and Ft Worth are clearly part of the same metro and that's the important metric.
Let's use this logic for a sec, and pretend that Dallas and Fort Worth (which BTW don't even touch each other) are one singular city. That city would have a land area of 735 square miles. Admittedly, Houston's area is huge. Too huge in my opinion, as I have already stated multiple times in this thread... but I'm not the one who drew the lines. However, the Dal-Worth pretend-city would still be much bigger in area than Houston. Not to mention a really bizarre shape.

Now, why is this important to the topic of the thread?

EDIT: Yes, MSA is a "more important metric" when discussing certain topics within a certain context, but not this one. This thread is clearly about city population, NOT metro population. It's also not about Dallas or Fort Worth. Or the DFW metroplex.

Last edited by Bobloblawslawblog; 11-09-2014 at 09:11 PM..

Old 11-09-2014, 09:14 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,279,693 times
Perhaps someone has some expert information on HOUSTON overtaking CHICAGO ?
Like some [statistics published by professionals] in Houston's favor?
Instead of getting mad at me ....for expert opinions saying CHICAGO maintains a 2 to 1 lead in 2025 over Houston. Seems it was even worst for some. That the Bloomberg sight even claims DALLAS/FT WORTH OVERTAKES HOUSTON?
They sure didn't like that one?

Old 11-09-2014, 09:17 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,979,768 times
Quote:
Don't disagree but wondering why the fact that Dallas and Ft Worth are two different cities is significant? It's not like city limits are that significant considering Houston proper is half the size of Rhode Island. Houston annexed its population to a huge degree, Chicago has a fraction of the land area. Dallas and Ft Worth are clearly part of the same metro and that's the important metric.
This is true. I can imagine what Chicago's city population would be if it covered the same land area as Houston going from 227 sq miles to 599 sq miles. (excluding non land areas such as water)

Old 11-09-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Perhaps someone has some expert information on HOUSTON overtaking CHICAGO ?
Like some [statistics published by professionals] in Houston's favor?
Instead of getting mad at me ....for expert opinions saying CHICAGO maintains a 2 to 1 lead in 2025 over Houston. Seems it was even worst for some. That the Bloomberg sight even claims DALLAS/FT WORTH OVERTAKES HOUSTON?
They sure didn't like that one?
I'm assuming it's me who you're referring to as being "mad" at you, and I'm not. I'm more amused than anything, and confused as to why you keep bringing Dallas into a thread that has nothing to do with Dallas (homer, perhaps?), and repeating yourself like a tape-loop, my colorful and inquisitive little admirer.

Here's some friendly advice for getting an "expert opinion" on which city will be bigger in 20 years:

Go to the nearest fortune teller, drop a dime or two, and have Madame Mystic bust out the old crystal ball... because that's about as close to accurate as anybody is going to get when predicting an outcome that is two decades into the future.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:16 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,528,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Have you ever been to Houston? I somehow doubt it.
You wouldn't even be attempting your faux argument here if you'd ever been in both cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City