Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2014, 07:52 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,166,721 times

Advertisements

Sure try 2455 Dunstan Rd Houston, TX

Also this is being built next to it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 08:18 PM

Here's a few more.

City Centre (West Houston)

Willowick Park U/C

Azalea Court U/C

Old 05-06-2014, 08:19 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
^ These are not bad and more urban than other stuff but I wouldn't call it very very urban. The second one looks somewhat suburban (within the context of a metro area). That one doesn't really show any walkability. The first picture shows walkability the best.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:20 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
^^^ not to nitpick but honestly all these images look more like faux new urbanist development in TODs and suburbs than urban development. The street interface looks awful - this looks like development in Reston VA not a city

Old 05-06-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
^^^ not to nitpick but honestly all these images look more like faux new urbanist development in TODs and suburbs than urban development. The street interface looks awful - this looks like development in Reston VA not a city
Yeah, though the first one looks alright - but the second one is awful - not sure why that was shown. That's not walkable at all or at least it doesn't show it. The last one does remind me of something in northern VA as you state. Kind of like "let's plop this development of 500 units down with 10 cafes and a few bars and call it walkable." It may be but once you get outside of that - there's no connection to anything. I guess at least it's a start?

Old 05-06-2014, 08:27 PM

Yeah it's a start, nothing glamous of course. But just demonstrating some of the urban projects going on in Houston. My gripe just like other Houstonains is the lack of retail. This does help Houston in the long run as we progress and densify in the coming years.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Yeah it's a start, nothing glamous of course. But just demonstrating some of the urban projects going on in Houston. My gripe just like other Houstonains is the lack of retail. This does help Houston in the long run as we progress and densify in the coming years.
It is a start - even if they look a little suburban - it's better than some stuff but they will hopefully learn over time on how to do this stuff. You first have to sell people on the idea of walkability and urbanity. It's not for everyone, but if you can demonstrate to people how it can be awesome then people sometimes do change how they think of that.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:39 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,297,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yeah, though the first one looks alright - but the second one is awful - not sure why that was shown. That's not walkable at all or at least it doesn't show it. The last one does remind me of something in northern VA as you state. Kind of like "let's plop this development of 500 units down with 10 cafes and a few bars and call it walkable." It may be but once you get outside of that - there's no connection to anything. I guess at least it's a start?
I think it's pretty obvious that Houston lacks any sort of urban cohesion. There are a few tiny sparks of urbanity that are quickly extinguished in the vast sea of SFHs, strip malls, surface lots and multi-lane highways. But yes it's a start, and maybe in 100 years if it continues to move in the right direction it will look more like LA than Phoenix.

I don't mean to be overly critical, but it is what it is. I am sure that in many other ways Houston has much to offer (people wouldn't be moving there in droves otherwise).

Old 05-06-2014, 08:49 PM

409 posts, read 587,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Sure try 2455 Dunstan Rd Houston, TX
I'm not seeing urbanity here. It looks like any older suburb in the Sunbelt.

The neighborhood seems to be mostly parking lots and strip malls, with a handful of apartment buildings. I see basically no pedestrians, and nothing without attached parking.

Again, looks like an older suburb of LA to me. Could be Northern Orange County, or some place in LA County around 20 miles from downtown.

What's really scary about the fact you chose this address is that it's right next to University of Houston. So this is actually a university district, not even a typical neighborhood. Any random university town will have more walkable retail.

I would say this neighborhood could one day be semi-urban, but it would probably take 50-100 years minimum, and even then, it would still be pretty auto-oriented and not very desirable for anyone used to older cities.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard111 View Post
I'm not seeing urbanity here. It looks like any older suburb in the Sunbelt.
Yeah it looks like an older suburb in a larger metro area that has a few new developments. Not that city-like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City