Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2014, 01:50 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard111 View Post
In other words, you refuse to answer the question, because you know you're making up stuff. And that pic could be in any new urbanist suburb anywhere.

Again, please tell us one of these urban neighborhoods in Houston you're referring to, so we can see for ourselves on Google maps. Just one neighborhood, please. At least give us an intersection of claimed urbanity.
I'm not making anything up for one. I didn't post pics because it would be against the rules. I told you I only focused on the inner loop which is everything inside loop 610. While that could be new urbanist anywhere, the point is that it is walkable, and increases the density for the area which was H'ton's main point. It is you who took it to meaning like Houston was trying to build like Chicago when that wasn't his point.
Again, for the fourth time, look at the inner loop and most of the developments inside the loop. If you're acting like Houston's core is building this:

http://www.nhdbuzz.com/BuzzAdmin/art...ARDENS2008.jpg

you're wrong.

These are the townhomes that are going up (from flickr, not my photo).
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5284/5...851bcfa4_b.jpg

And these are the SFH and townhome neighborhoods that are going up.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Li...4a8397e0e51885

Here's another pic of the townhome development going up with the shared driveway but is adding density to the area. Wish the sidewalks were wider though.
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7696...z_DEr5cj0g!2e0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 01:57 PM

409 posts, read 587,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I'm not making anything up for one. I didn't post pics because it would be against the rules. I told you I only focused on the inner loop which is everything inside loop 610.
I never asked you to post pics.

You refuse to tell me a neighborhood where this supposed urban development is occurring, because you know it isn't true.

Just give us one intersection, please.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:08 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,960,126 times
Yes, the city of Houston's leaders (the mayor, Parker) have set the timetable close to the next census when they annex in the area surrounding Exxon-Mobil's new campus and some additional extra territorial jurisdiction (which has 1.6 million people).

This will happen by 2020, they plan on annexing a bunch, areas with large populations already.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard111 View Post
I never asked you to post pics.

You refuse to tell me a neighborhood where this supposed urban development is occurring, because you know it isn't true.

Just give us one intersection, please.

If you want one, try Kirby and Westheimer. And yes, it is true.

Or here.
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7518...Na9moHuORg!2e0

Now I know the problems with the CVS. But you stated that Houston isn't building anything urban and that is false.

Quote:
And you are extremely unfamiliar with Houston if you think there are no townhomes or parking in Houston.
When did I say there are no townhomes or parking in Houston? Next time, don't put words in my mouth.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:11 PM

112 posts, read 136,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Yes, the city of Houston's leaders (the mayor, Parker) have set the timetable close to the next census when they annex in the area surrounding Exxon-Mobil's new campus and some additional extra territorial jurisdiction (which has 1.6 million people).

This will happen by 2020, they plan on annexing a bunch, areas with large populations already.
Are you saying Houston is poised to become the second largest city in the country?

Old 05-05-2014, 02:12 PM

I thought Houston said after they do annex the Exxon area that they are done annexing. At least that's what I read on another site.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:16 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:

adding 1.6 existing

is LA in danger of being passed - would Houston become the second largest US city mostly on technicality?

interesting

would assume at 1.6 million it must be somewhere in the 200-250 sq mile range for the add (basically adding the land area of Chicago or a combined Philly/Boston/SF, crazy)

Probably makes fiscal sense though

Old 05-05-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
adding 1.6 existing

is LA in danger of being passed - would Houston become the second largest US city mostly on technicality?

interesting

would assume at 1.6 million it must be somewhere in the 200-250 sq mile range for the add
I don't think he meant all of it. Just some of the ETJ.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:23 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,960,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuggah View Post
Are you saying Houston is poised to become the second largest city in the country?
No, only third.

The city will only annex areas near the Exxon-Mobil campus, so about 300,000-400,000 people, no where close to Los Angeles' size. After that annexation, the remainder of it's extra-territorial jurisdiction will be left to the suburbs to either incorporate or annex on their own right. Parker only wants the financial benefits of the tax base (both civic and corporate) of the Exxon-Mobil employees.

Yeah, kidphilly, it'll probably be 200 square miles give or take.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:28 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,206,613 times
Quote:
No, only third.

The city will only annex areas near the Exxon-Mobil campus, so about 300,000-400,000 people, no where close to Los Angeles' size. After that annexation, the remainder of it's extra-territorial jurisdiction will be left to the suburbs to either incorporate or annex on their own right. Parker only wants the financial benefits of the tax base (both civic and corporate) of the Exxon-Mobil employees.

Yeah, kidphilly, it'll probably be 200 square miles give or take.
Houston is already half the size of Rhode Island by land area. Does it really need another 200 square miles? ETA: If that happens then it will officially pass up Jacksonville as the most sprawling city in the lower 48.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...cities_by_area

Last edited by Bluefox; 05-05-2014 at 02:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City