Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2014, 02:16 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,909,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staygully View Post
Visiting and living is not the same. I visited Newark, Paterson and Camden and didn't feel unsafe. I'm sure that those innocent people also didnt feel unsafe when they got killed.
Of course it's different, but most people who live in normal areas of town are the same way. I've never met anybody who's been mugged, robbed, etc. I have never had anything remotely close to bad happening to me. One time a homeless guy told me to **** off because I didn't give him money but that's about it. I have also been in some sketchy areas.

I've had a few friends had their cars broken into, but just a few. As far as personal violent crime - I know nobody who's been a victim of an actual violent crime and this is counting some of my friends who are 40+ years old and grew up here. If you aren't part of a gang or dealing in drugs, the chances of you being a victim of one of these crimes goes drastically down. Not to say that it can't happen because it does but it's far less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 02:16 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
Visiting and living is not the same. I visited Newark, Paterson and Camden and didn't feel unsafe. I'm sure that those innocent people also didnt feel unsafe when they got killed.
I think that there are some specific nabe's that would be wise to steer clear of but I'm pretty sure the vast majority of Chicagoans don't feel unsafe where they live. To equate the experience of living in Chicago to living in Baghdad or Kabul is ridiculous imo.

Old 05-04-2014, 02:19 PM

124 posts, read 149,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I think that there are some specific nabe's that would be wise to steer clear of but I'm pretty sure the vast majority of Chicagoans don't feel unsafe where they live. To equate the experience of living in Chicago to living in Baghdad or Kabul is ridiculous imo.

Tell it to the families of all the murder victims in Chiraq.

Old 05-04-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Yeah, pretty much. As I've shown before (in previous threads), over 75% of the homicides that have happened in town have happened where only 30% of people live (and these areas' daytime populations do not grow, especially when you consider the CBD, tourist areas of town, and other hot areas of town where people travel to for food from other areas). The areas where the other 70% live are usually pretty safe or if they aren't 100% safe from violent crime, they aren't necessarily dangerous either where you wouldn't want to venture outside.

If you were able to ease the gang problem, you'd see an even bigger drop in violent crime. Big time. Luckily the state and city has finally started to use the RICO laws that dismantled the mob decades ago on gangs. Then there's the whole Heroin Highway problem with suburban kids, but that also has big ties to gangs.

Old 05-04-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
[/b]

Tell it to the families of all the murder victims.
C'mon man - people are killed anywhere and everywhere.. innocent people too.. In specific areas of Chicago it is higher than many places but murder is a fact of life and can happen in the most 'dangerous' of places but also the 'safest' places too!

Anyway, book a trip to Kabul or Baghdad for a 'visit' - i'm sure you'd instantly realize that it would have been better to book a trip to Chicago!

Old 05-04-2014, 02:22 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,030,165 times
Houston will pass Chicago if it continues at its current rate of growth...but it's impossible to predict population trends. Chicago could take off again and continue to be in the top 3.

Old 05-04-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
C'mon man - people are killed anywhere and everywhere.. innocent people too.. In specific areas of Chicago it is higher than many places but murder is a fact of life and can happen in the most 'dangerous' of places but also the 'safest' places too!

Anyway, book a trip to Kabul or Baghdad for a 'visit' - i'm sure you'd instantly realize that it would have been better to book a trip to Chicago!
But to downplay/deny or justify the killings is just plain ignorant, as our friend here does.

Old 05-04-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Houston will pass Chicago if it continues at its current rate of growth...but it's impossible to predict population trends. Chicago could take off again and continue to be in the top 3.
If Houston does overtake Chicago in population I hope there is a lot more densification and urbanization so that the number 3 city proper in the U.S feels like number 3 and not like number 14

Old 05-04-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
But to downplay/deny or justify the killings is just plain ignorant, as our friend here does.
No, you are misinterpreting what I'm saying big time. I'm not downplaying homicides - they're all unfortunate. What I am saying is that the whole city is not dangerous like some people automatically assume. Most of the city is pretty safe to very safe. Data backs this up while there are obvious areas of town you want to stay away from and I was also saying how even the dangerous areas of town are almost all safer than they were even 10-15 years ago.

Anybody who thinks most of the city of Chicago is safe is not familiar with it at all. There are OBVIOUSLY very dangerous areas. Anybody who denies that too is stupid.

Old 05-04-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
No, you are misinterpreting what I'm saying big time. I'm not downplaying homicides - they're all unfortunate. What I am saying is that the whole city is not dangerous like some people automatically assume. Most of the city is pretty safe to very safe. Data backs this up while there are obvious areas of town you want to stay away from and I was also saying how even the dangerous areas of town are almost all safer than they were even 10-15 years ago.

Anybody who thinks most of the city of Chicago is safe is not familiar with it at all. There are OBVIOUSLY very dangerous areas. Anybody who denies that too is stupid.
You just like to ignore facts. Either way, Houston is a much better city, and in a good position to take Chiraq over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City