Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2014, 01:38 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,407,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownsFinest View Post
Chicago has a very large land area to develop on for decades to come. People that say Chicago is hurting and losing population, but that's not true, at least not today and for the forseen future. We going thru a little development boom that hopefully attracts more people to Chicago of all aspects.
It will be interesting to see if the net in-migration to Chicago will be sufficient to offset the homicide rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 01:43 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,333,568 times
Quote:
Love him or hate him Rambo Emanuel gets things done! He demands action and has really helped get development and construction back on track fast. Went last night downtown and it's impressive to see the amount of construction projects going on in just a small area. Not only downtown but areas like Logan square, west loop, south loop are all experiencing a small boom, in Chicago terms.
Chicago has far less development planned than most major U.S. cities, including Houston.

If you look at the Census data permits on new housing units, Houston is one of the leaders nationally, and Chicago is nowhere close.

So far this year, Houston has permitted over 48,000 units, including over 18,000 5+ unit buildings.

So far this year, Chicago has permitted over 11,000 units, including over 5,000 5+ unit buildings.

http://www.census.gov/construction/b...t3yu201409.txt

Old 11-03-2014, 01:53 PM

178 posts, read 175,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
It will be interesting to see if the net in-migration to Chicago will be sufficient to offset the homicide rate.
I hope that it helps as development are needing proposed in even "bad" parts of the city.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Chicago has far less development planned than most major U.S. cities, including Houston.

If you look at the Census data permits on new housing units, Houston is one of the leaders nationally, and Chicago is nowhere close.

So far this year, Houston has permitted over 48,000 units, including over 18,000 5+ unit buildings.

So far this year, Chicago has permitted over 11,000 units, including over 5,000 5+ unit buildings.

http://www.census.gov/construction/b...t3yu201409.txt
I never been a fan and put too much credence in this because this changes everyday and the permit issue thing is werid here. Not saying it's not true or a decent guide, but the best guide is the human eye and I haven't seen a development boom like this in a long time.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:04 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,333,568 times
Quote:
I never been a fan and put too much credence in this because this changes everyday and the permit issue thing is werid here. Not saying it's not true or a decent guide, but the best guide is the human eye and I haven't seen a development boom like this in a long time.
So you are telling us to ignore the official data on building permits registered with the City of Chicago, and just trust you on this one...

The worst guide is the human eye. Obviously you cannot hope to have your eyeballs on every single development plot in every metro area in the U.S., so your personal visual observations are completely useless.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
So you are telling us to ignore the official data on building permits registered with the City of Chicago, and just trust you on this one...

The worst guide is the human eye. Obviously you cannot hope to have your eyeballs on every single development plot in every metro area in the U.S., so your personal visual observations are completely useless.
Of course not just saying Chicago was hit hard by the recssion where development came to nearly a halt and that's not the case anymore. There is renewed energy and excitement in the air and I'm seeing lots of construction not just downtown but in the neighborhoods, I drive around the city for a living so yes on my case my eye tells me a lot. Also like I stated earlier this is the infancy of what I believe will be a good size boom in construction and development. This is all part of a master plan of the mayor to continue growing Chicago and putting it the forefront as a leading city, where Chicago belongs. It's an exciting time to be in Chicago no doubt about it. Seems like every week new project proposals are being approved.

Last edited by chitownsFinest; 11-03-2014 at 03:12 PM..

Old 11-03-2014, 03:03 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,995,483 times
Houston's population growth will slow down eventually both city and metro. Chicago will continue to have steady growth for the decades to come.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Houston's population growth will slow down eventually both city and metro. Chicago will continue to have steady growth for the decades to come.
Yes I agree Chicago is at a slower pace right now but it the long run should grow substantially

Old 11-03-2014, 04:56 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,279,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Sometimes you just have to chuckle .....and the word troll comes to mind??? For replies aimed for strife and shock value to disrupt interesting.... if not intelligent debate???

Old 11-03-2014, 06:36 PM

16 posts, read 16,370 times
Houston's growth is largely tied to the jobs boom there. When oil begins to fall and we find other energy sources to power our cars, which is already happening, then the jobs in Houston will begin to dry up and its rapid growth will slow.

Chicago metro gained over a million people in the 1990's, I haven't seen Houston do that in a 10 year span yet. It would take Chicago shrinking and Houston growing even faster for this to happen any time soon, if at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City