Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2013, 08:42 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
And Atlanta has cool places like Little Five Points, Old Forth Ward, Grant Park, East Atlanta Village, etc.
As well as Decatur, Virginia Highland, Midtown, Buckhead, Atlantic Station, Buford Highway, Peachtree Street, Inman Park, etc., etc.

And Philly also have University City, South Street, Bella Vista, Queen Village, Fairmount/Art Museum, Ben Franklin Parkway, Spruce Hill, Germantown, etc., etc.

Point being to everybody: Both cities have nice and cool places for singles, young couples, and newcomers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 08:44 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
As well as Decatur, Virginia Highland, Midtown, Buckhead, Atlantic Station, Buford Highway, Peachtree Street, Inman Park, etc., etc.

And Philly also have University City, South Street, Bella Vista, Queen Village, Fairmount/Art Museum, Ben Franklin Parkway, Spruce Hill, Germantown, etc., etc.

Point being to everybody: Both cities have nice and cool places for singles, young couples, and newcomers.
Exactly.

I like both cities. I really enjoy Atlanta and feel as though I'd have no problem settling into Philly (aside from the winter weather).

Old 12-07-2013, 08:55 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times
Quote:
Exactly.

I like both cities. I really enjoy Atlanta and feel as though I'd have no problem settling into Philly (aside from the winter weather).
Definitely. I have a feeling that I might really like both cities whenever I visit them, especially since I'm that type of person who take cities for what they are and that's one of the reasons why I loved visiting LA because it felt very different from the East Coast. Sometimes, you appreciate places better the more you travel. At my age, it's always nice to get out and travel. This definitely rings true with my GF since she loves to go wherever the wind takes her lol

Old 12-08-2013, 11:35 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times
I don't know actually man, none of the places in Atlanta you listed excite me. I'm more excited by the beautiful architecture of Chestnut Hill and the historical monuments in Center City. I've been in Atlanta before, and the coolest thing about it was looking at the downtown lights while on the expressway

Old 12-08-2013, 11:38 AM

82 posts, read 128,324 times
I think I would choose Philadelphia because I tend to dislike the south. However, I have not spent major time in either city. Hope I could help a little.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:43 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Definitely. I have a feeling that I might really like both cities whenever I visit them, especially since I'm that type of person who take cities for what they are and that's one of the reasons why I loved visiting LA because it felt very different from the East Coast. Sometimes, you appreciate places better the more you travel. At my age, it's always nice to get out and travel. This definitely rings true with my GF since she loves to go wherever the wind takes her lol
I feel exactly the same way. The best part about traveling is that all cities have their own feel and vibe, even in this era of standardization.

Living preferences may be a different story, but it's fun to challenge your comfort zone and see what life is like in different places.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:54 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I don't know actually man, none of the places in Atlanta you listed excite me. I'm more excited by the beautiful architecture of Chestnut Hill and the historical monuments in Center City. I've been in Atlanta before, and the coolest thing about it was looking at the downtown lights while on the expressway
Have you actually been to those neighborhoods in Atlanta? I seriously doubt it if you think driving through town on the connector is the coolest thing about the city. No those neighborhoods don't have architecture as historic as that in Philly but as pre-war streetcar suburbs that have seen a lot of revitalization and investment over the past several years, they are widely considered to be cool and interesting neighborhoods in their own right.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 12-08-2013 at 01:04 PM..

Old 06-06-2014, 06:39 AM

3 posts, read 2,980 times
Had to create a new account. However, I would like for summers (or anyone) to explain why philly is tiers ahead of Atlanta citywise. The argument seemed to be predicated on size, but then I mentioned that Charlotte, Columbus and Jacksonville were larger than Miami and DC. This is why it is quite misleading to compare city limit population.

All a measurement of a city limit is how many people reside in a city. Now, of course, this impacts life in that city. However, in cities like Atlanta they daytime population is heavily influenced by metro number. Metro Philly and Atlanta are about the same size and same tier. Why is this so hard to stomach?

Are we really going to say Philly is a tier above Atl because more people sleep within the city limits and in Atlanta they sleep in the immediate suburbs? It makes no sense to me.whether or not these people reside in or out out of the city limits, I'd say their daily workings causally involve/economically impact the city to the same extent.

Would anyone agree that Atlanta and Philly are practically the same size?

Old 06-06-2014, 08:02 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,858,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meep2 View Post
Had to create a new account. However, I would like for summers (or anyone) to explain why philly is tiers ahead of Atlanta citywise. The argument seemed to be predicated on size, but then I mentioned that Charlotte, Columbus and Jacksonville were larger than Miami and DC. This is why it is quite misleading to compare city limit population.

All a measurement of a city limit is how many people reside in a city. Now, of course, this impacts life in that city. However, in cities like Atlanta they daytime population is heavily influenced by metro number. Metro Philly and Atlanta are about the same size and same tier. Why is this so hard to stomach?

Are we really going to say Philly is a tier above Atl because more people sleep within the city limits and in Atlanta they sleep in the immediate suburbs? It makes no sense to me.whether or not these people reside in or out out of the city limits, I'd say their daily workings causally involve/economically impact the city to the same extent.

Would anyone agree that Atlanta and Philly are practically the same size?
I visited Philadelphia in my youth; I loved it! First time on the East Coast. The vibe was great. I knew that I was in the city. Philadelphia, is much more of what I consider to be a city: the built environment, the pace, attitude, the vibe, culture, etc.

Atlanta is a different beast. I live in Atlanta, btw. I'm a family man, wife and three children. Therefore, my perspective is different. I'm much more into family things. If an event involves lots of people drinking, I'm not there. It can be said that I'm missing out on a lot that Atlanta offers. However, we do take advantage of other offings here. It's different here. That said, I think that it boils down to ones preference.

About the Southeast. I was in a cave Tuesday of this week! We went to Ruby Falls and Rock City. Touristy yes! Cool, nonetheless! The terrain here in the Southeast is a beast! I mean that in a good way!

Yes, Atlanta and Philadelphia are the same size.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:41 AM

32,104 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Have you actually been to those neighborhoods in Atlanta? I seriously doubt it if you think driving through town on the connector is the coolest thing about the city. No those neighborhoods don't have architecture as historic as that in Philly but as pre-war streetcar suburbs that have seen a lot of revitalization and investment over the past several years, they are widely considered to be cool and interesting neighborhoods in their own right.
I think that's the coolest thing about the city. Gimme 85 Southbound coming from Buckhead late at night with some Ouktast pumping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City