Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better chance of making a comeback
Cleveland 38 37.25%
St Louis 64 62.75%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 12:22 PM

188 posts, read 376,155 times

Advertisements

I've been to both cities quite a few times and visited most of bigger major cities in the US at least once so I think I should contribute:

1) Economy:
The gross metropolitan product (GMP) output of St. Louis ($133 Billion) is higher than that of Cleveland ($106 Billion). Historically, St. Louis has had a much more diversified economy. It has always been a major transportation hub as one of the largest inland ports and railroad hub. It was also a major airline hub as home base of Trans World Airlines and McDonnel Douglas back in the day and may become one again with the massive expansion of Southwest here in the last few years. Defense, airplane, and car manufacturing still have a major presences in this area. Recently, St. Louis has also become a banking hub as home to Wells Fargo Advisors, Scottrade, and Edward Jones. St. Louis also home to a major agricultural/food industry as home to Monsanto and Nestle/Purina. Interestingly, energy is a major part of the St. Louis economy as home to Peabody, the largest coal company in the world. Almost all of the sand used in the fracking boom is also mined from around the St. Louis area.

Notably, one of Cleveland's great strengths is the medical institution of the Cleveland Clinic (ranked #4). However, St. Louis has another one of the world's great medical centers in Barnes-Jewish Hospital (ranked #6). Medical technology and biotech are both major contributiors to the economy of both cities.

http://usmayors.org/metroeconomies/0712/FullReport.pdf
Wall Street Jobs Move to Smaller Cities - WSJ.com

2) Demographics:
The St. Louis has a metro population of around 2.9 million while Cleveland has around 2.1 million. St. Louis metro has been slowly growing over time and has never declined while Cleveland has had some declines.

3) Transportation:
I think St. Louis wins this hands down with its light rail system. RTA has a daily ridership of 11k, while St. Louis Metrolink has a daily ridership of 52k.

4) Downtowns:
Cleveland's downtown has recovered very well in recent years while St. Louis still has a ways to go. St. Louis has multiple hubs of activity in its neighborhoods, which I consider to be much stronger than the downtown. The culture is different here in that people rarely go downtown for things other than work or sports events. With the increase in residential units downtown, I hope that changes going forward.

5) Education:
WashU (#14) is ranked higher than Case Western (#37), and WashU's med school (#6) was ranked as high as #2 not so long ago. Both cities could benefit a lot from a major flagship state school located within the city. Imagine how game changing it would be if Mizzou (34k students) was located in St. Louis or Ohio State (56k students) was located in Cleveland? Unfortunately, that will never happen.

6) Cultural centers:
I think both Cleveland and St. Louis have great cultural and sports institutions that continue to provide a lot of strength. However, I think Cleveland tends to be eclipsed by the other major surrounding metros like Detroit or Pittsburgh. St. Louis is seen as a major center halfway up Illinois, into Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, Oklahoma, and through Kansas and thus has a much bigger "catchment basin" Its only competition historically has been with Chicago, which historically has also been a competitor city of Cleveland. Chicago won both battles.

St. Louis is much much older than most cities in the interior (STL was 73 years old when Chicago was founded) and was imagined by its founders as THE major inland city of the US, something akin to a Paris or Berlin of North America. While it hasn't quite lived up to those expectations, I still see a lot of potental for this city going forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 03:23 AM

13 posts, read 28,972 times
Agreed. While St. Louis's growth has been slow, it has been steady and is picking up speed. While the bulk of the growth is still in the suburbs, there are now 500 people moving into downtown STL each year. In the last decade, downtown has added up to 15,000 people and the occupancy rate of available housing is more than 80%. More developments are starting, to keep up with demand. Add to that the many recent announcements of new companies and jobs coming to town. A technology campus in a once degraded part of the city is attracting several companies that are bringing hundreds, if not thousands of jobs, and that is only one project. Charter communications just announced it is building a massive call center on the north side that will employ up to 800 full time workers. St. Louis has taken a lot of licks over the years, so it's nice to see this grand old city start to move up again.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:38 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,962,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestMark View Post
Agreed. While St. Louis's growth has been slow, it has been steady and is picking up speed. While the bulk of the growth is still in the suburbs, there are now 500 people moving into downtown STL each year. In the last decade, downtown has added up to 15,000 people and the occupancy rate of available housing is more than 80%. More developments are starting, to keep up with demand. Add to that the many recent announcements of new companies and jobs coming to town. A technology campus in a once degraded part of the city is attracting several companies that are bringing hundreds, if not thousands of jobs, and that is only one project. Charter communications just announced it is building a massive call center on the north side that will employ up to 800 full time workers. St. Louis has taken a lot of licks over the years, so it's nice to see this grand old city start to move up again.
New call center on the Northside? I can't imagine where that's going to be.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:36 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,939,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
I'd argue St. Louis. Cleveland as a whole seems to have been hit a lot harder than STL by the Rust Belt effect.
St. Louis has seen the largest decline of population than any other city (-62%) so I don't know why you would think Cleveland has been hit a lot harder than STL by the rust belt "effect".

Old 06-07-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanHamez View Post
I've been to both cities quite a few times and visited most of bigger major cities in the US at least once so I think I should contribute:

1) Economy:
The gross metropolitan product (GMP) output of St. Louis ($133 Billion) is higher than that of Cleveland ($106 Billion). Historically, St. Louis has had a much more diversified economy. It has always been a major transportation hub as one of the largest inland ports and railroad hub. It was also a major airline hub as home base of Trans World Airlines and McDonnel Douglas back in the day and may become one again with the massive expansion of Southwest here in the last few years. Defense, airplane, and car manufacturing still have a major presences in this area. Recently, St. Louis has also become a banking hub as home to Wells Fargo Advisors, Scottrade, and Edward Jones. St. Louis also home to a major agricultural/food industry as home to Monsanto and Nestle/Purina. Interestingly, energy is a major part of the St. Louis economy as home to Peabody, the largest coal company in the world. Almost all of the sand used in the fracking boom is also mined from around the St. Louis area.

Notably, one of Cleveland's great strengths is the medical institution of the Cleveland Clinic (ranked #4). However, St. Louis has another one of the world's great medical centers in Barnes-Jewish Hospital (ranked #6). Medical technology and biotech are both major contributiors to the economy of both cities.

http://usmayors.org/metroeconomies/0712/FullReport.pdf
Wall Street Jobs Move to Smaller Cities - WSJ.com

2) Demographics:
The St. Louis has a metro population of around 2.9 million while Cleveland has around 2.1 million. St. Louis metro has been slowly growing over time and has never declined while Cleveland has had some declines.

3) Transportation:
I think St. Louis wins this hands down with its light rail system. RTA has a daily ridership of 11k, while St. Louis Metrolink has a daily ridership of 52k.

4) Downtowns:
Cleveland's downtown has recovered very well in recent years while St. Louis still has a ways to go. St. Louis has multiple hubs of activity in its neighborhoods, which I consider to be much stronger than the downtown. The culture is different here in that people rarely go downtown for things other than work or sports events. With the increase in residential units downtown, I hope that changes going forward.

5) Education:
WashU (#14) is ranked higher than Case Western (#37), and WashU's med school (#6) was ranked as high as #2 not so long ago. Both cities could benefit a lot from a major flagship state school located within the city. Imagine how game changing it would be if Mizzou (34k students) was located in St. Louis or Ohio State (56k students) was located in Cleveland? Unfortunately, that will never happen.

6) Cultural centers:
I think both Cleveland and St. Louis have great cultural and sports institutions that continue to provide a lot of strength. However, I think Cleveland tends to be eclipsed by the other major surrounding metros like Detroit or Pittsburgh. St. Louis is seen as a major center halfway up Illinois, into Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, Oklahoma, and through Kansas and thus has a much bigger "catchment basin" Its only competition historically has been with Chicago, which historically has also been a competitor city of Cleveland. Chicago won both battles.

St. Louis is much much older than most cities in the interior (STL was 73 years old when Chicago was founded) and was imagined by its founders as THE major inland city of the US, something akin to a Paris or Berlin of North America. While it hasn't quite lived up to those expectations, I still see a lot of potental for this city going forward.
Couple of quick points: St. Louis metro is about 2.7 millinoin; Cleveland is 2.1 with Akron 900k-1,000,000 adjacent to it. Also, the 2010 census did show Cleveland metro decline; the first metro pop. decline in its history.

Also, do you really believe that only 11,000 people use the RTA daily in Cleveland? Does St. Louis also have heavy rail and bus-rapid transit?

Old 06-07-2013, 04:46 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,962,208 times
I didn't vote because I love them both.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:09 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
St. Louis has seen the largest decline of population than any other city (-62%) so I don't know why you would think Cleveland has been hit a lot harder than STL by the rust belt "effect".
Cleveland aside, you seem to be assuming, or def implying at least, St. Louis's percentage based (different implications than raw numbers obviously) population loss can be attributed just to the "rust belt effect," which is certainly not the case. Furthermore, the population primarily just went right next door to the separate St. Louis county, the metro has never lost population.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:52 PM

13 posts, read 28,972 times
Charter's call center will be located in Bridgeton, on the north side of the metro.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
Cleveland aside, you seem to be assuming, or def implying at least, St. Louis's percentage based (different implications than raw numbers obviously) population loss can be attributed just to the "rust belt effect," which is certainly not the case. Furthermore, the population primarily just went right next door to the separate St. Louis county, the metro has never lost population.
Same deal with Cleveland, except a small decline with 2010. In fact, rust belt city metros really haven't declined at all (Chicago, Detroit etc.) so I'm not sure what the rust belt effect is then. Please define or maybe the poster who used the term can.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:08 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,183,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestMark View Post
Humor me....I'm a stats guy:

If downtown's population grew by 15K from 2000 to 2010, and currently it's growing by about 0.5K per year, then it's projected to grow by 5K from 2010 to 2020? That's a major slowdown in activity......is that what you meant to imply? It kind of goes against the notion that St. Louis' growth is "picking up speed".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City