Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better chance of making a comeback
Cleveland 38 37.25%
St Louis 64 62.75%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 11:44 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,254,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
Why are you typing in bold? Is it part of your PR bit? As for what I highlighted, huh? Cleveland's metro is just over 2 million people (lazy wicki search shows 2,068,283), and shrinking slightly. St. Louis is just under 2.8 (2,795,794) and growing slightly. Just under 3 would not be considerably larger than St. Louis, it'd be about the same size, but what are you using exactly?
Cleveland-Akron, OH CMSA - 2,911,683 ( Ranked 15th largest )

St. Louis, MO-IL MSA - 2,563,801 ( Ranked 18th largest )

Greater Cleveland and environs has over 400,000 more inhabitants, that's quite a sizable difference.

Source:

The 48 Metropolitan Areas With a Population Above One Million, Ranked - Geography

Wikipedia shows Cleveland and environs being even larger at ...

The larger Cleveland-Akron-Canton Combined Statistical Area is the 15th-largest Combined Statistical Area in the United States, and includes the above counties plus Ashtabula County, Carroll County, Erie County, Huron County, Portage County, Stark County, Summit County, and Tuscarawas County, with a population of 3,515,646.[2]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 12:04 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,674,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post

Greater Cleveland and environs has over 400,000 more inhabitants, that's quite a sizable difference.

Source:

The 48 Metropolitan Areas With a Population Above One Million, Ranked - Geography

The larger Cleveland-Akron-Canton Combined Statistical Area is the 15th-largest Combined Statistical Area in the United States, and includes the above counties plus Ashtabula County, Carroll County, Erie County, Huron County, Portage County, Stark County, Summit County, and Tuscarawas County, with a population of 3,515,646.[2]
Is this a joke? You use CMSA and/or CSA numbers for Cleveland and 1998 MSA number for St. Louis??? Wow, talk about shady posting...

MSA numbers: (which is what we were talking about, not CSA or CMSA) as of July 1, 2012 (no we aren't going to use numbers from 98 for St. Louis), as estimated by the US Census Bureau:

St. Louis 2,795,794
Cleveland 2,063,535

Unbelievable...

Old 06-09-2013, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Is this a joke? You use CMSA and/or CSA numbers for Cleveland and 1998 MSA number for St. Louis??? Wow, talk about shady posting...

MSA numbers: (which is what we were talking about, not CSA or CMSA) as of July 1, 2012 (no we aren't going to use numbers from 98 for St. Louis), as estimated by the US Census Bureau:

St. Louis 2,795,794
Cleveland 2,063,535

Unbelievable...

What an idiot! I posted my source by including the link where the information for both Cleveland and St. Louis was listed.

Invest in some new eye glasses, there's nothing "shady" at all about the information I provided.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIndependent View Post
St. Louis' pull covers about half of MO, a big chunk of Southern IL, and maybe some of AR. That city has little to Zero importance in KS, OK, and TN.
He has that under his section about culture, so in some areas such as sports I can certainly see what he's saying (Memphis is home to the St. Louis Cardinals minor league affiliate, so there is certainly a connection for TN), if that's what he had in mind...

Old 06-09-2013, 12:15 AM

Quote:
What an idiot! I posted my source by including the link where the information for both Cleveland and St. Louis was listed.

Invest in some new eye glasses, there's nothing "shady" at all about the information I provided.

Is this a joke? Did you read my post? Or your own source? Your number for St. Louis is from 1998!!! And you don't even use the same metric for both cities! Hoiw dumb do you think people are? I gave present MSA numbers, this is pathetic... Thanks for quoting my post that shows you out though!

Old 06-09-2013, 12:17 AM

Quote:

Source:

Quote:

St. Louis 2,795,794
Cleveland 2,063,535

Unbelievable...
Quote:

Saving this in case you try to edit it later. You or either dishonest, or not very...

Old 06-09-2013, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Is this a joke? Did you read my post? Or your own source? Your number for St. Louis is from 1998!!! And you don't even use the same metric for both cities! Hoiw dumb do you think people are? I gave present MSA numbers, this is pathetic...

While fault finding, please consider the actual "link" that I provided. It's not as if I typed in my own statistics for each city on that website .... ah, DUHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

It clearly shows that Cleveland is still a larger MSA and CMSA ... but then this thread is actually about which city is poised to make a stronger comeback.

Again, I'll place my wagers on Cleveland. Its amenities, location and future are infinitely better.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:26 AM

Quote:
While fault finding, please consider the actual "link" that I provided. It's not as if I typed in my own statistics for each city on that website .... ah, DUHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

It clearly shows that Cleveland is still a larger MSA and CMSA ... but then this thread is actually about which city is poised to make a stronger comeback.

Again, I'll place my wagers on Cleveland. Its amenities, location and future are infinitely better.
I did read your link, the source of the fault, (did you actually read all of it?) since I noticed that your numbers didn't match the current US Census Bureau numbers, which is why I asked what you were using in the first place, and I found that St. Louis's number was MSA (what we were talking about) and Cleveland's was CMSA; furthermore, your numbers were from 1998.

The numbers I posted are up to date MSA numbers from the Census Bureau, this is not complicated. Are you making that wager in 1998 also by chance?

Old 06-09-2013, 12:35 AM

Quote:
I did read your link, the source of the fault, (did you actually read all of it?) since I noticed that your numbers didn't match the current US Census Bureau numbers, which is why I asked what you were using in the first place, and I found that St. Louis's number was MSA (what we were talking about) and Cleveland's was CMSA; furthermore, your numbers were from 1998.

The numbers I posted are up to date MSA numbers from the Census Bureau, this is not complicated.
Oh, Gawd!!! Don't have a tantrum over this. Blame Google! I typed in my search query for 2013 population figures for Cleveland's MSA / CMSA - my search return was the link I provided. St. Louis was also on that list of 48 cities with metro populations over 1 million.

This thread pertains primarily to which city will stage a stronger come-back - Again, I believe that Cleveland will emerge in a much stronger position than St. Louis. In Cleveland, we're much better aligned to major shipping channels, we are closer to other major cities and the amenities in our region are arguably much more substantial than in the St. Louis area. Our setting on a GREAT LAKE provides infinite possibilities ... far greater than those that exist on the banks of the muddy Mississippi River.

Before you even try to go there ... our Cuyahoga River doesn't catch fire anymore! LOL

Old 06-09-2013, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Oh, Gawd!!! Don't have a tantrum over this. Blame Google! I typed in my search query for 2013 population figures for Cleveland's MSA / CMSA - my search return was the link I provided. St. Louis was also on that list of 48 cities with metro populations over 1 million.

This thread is pertains primarily to which city will stage a stronger come-back - Again, I believe that Cleveland will emerge in a much stronger position than St. Louis. In Cleveland, we're much better aligned to major shipping channels, we are closer to other major cities and the amenities in our region are arguably much more substantial than in the St. Louis area. Our setting on a GREAT LAKE provides infinite possibilities ... far greater than those that exist on the banks of the muddy Mississippi River.

Before you even try to go there ... our Cuyahoga River doesn't catch fire anymore! LOL
Reading your source is considered unnecessary to you? You used numbers that were clearly incorrect, (out of date and different metrics) you were asked about the numbers and decided to call me an idiot, say I need glasses to read your source (which you of course did not), say "duuuhhhh", etc. I think you've quite clearly shown everyone your abilities for forming arguments in this thread, your character, and how well you check your information. You sir are a very, very poor spokesman for Cleveland...

Judging from your other posts as well, I'd let others speak for Cleveland if I were you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City