Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: South Florida vs Southern Californian beaches
Southern California 21 27.63%
South Florida 55 72.37%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 11:17 PM

409 posts, read 484,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
You have no idea what you are saying. This isn't the east coast. California is all about microclimates. It's not static like Florida which has one temperature in summer (damn hot n sticky). In So Cal you can pick your climate or temperature range. You can choose to live in spots that are consistently warmer or cooler, all the time, not occasionally.
It is true about micro-climates. I grew up in Seal Beach and when I was old enough to drive, I would go to the beach in Laguna because it was warmer and the water was warmer and clearer. It was only about a half hour south, but there was a big difference.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:25 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,473,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
Los Angeles average monthly temperatures:

July: 73.3
August: 74.3
September: 73.1

Every other month either in the 60's or 50's.

Monthly Temperature Averages & Records

San Deigo average monthly tempratures:

July: 71.0
August: 72.6
September: 71.4

Every other month either in the 60's or 50's.

Climate Information for San Diego*-*California*-*West*-*United States*-*Climate Zone

I guess you know less than you think. So I will hold off on putting the effort to look up water temperatures.
Los Angeles Average summer temp averages about 85 - 95 with many days climbing above the 100 mark

San Diego averages average summer temp is 75 - 85 with some days over the 90 mark

Those averages are low since its held back since now its hotter than it was years ago. I believe it is wrong since here in L.A. this past summer the daily highs were on average, 85-95 and daily lows were at 65-75. I'm not sure about San Diego but I would imagine it was around 10 degrees less hot.

Saying that LA and San Diego averaging in the 70's in summer is wrong.

I spent most of my time in Orange County (by Knotts) and the average high for..

June - high/low - 80/63
July - high/low - 84/65
August - high/low - 92/71
September - high/low - 93/69
October - high/low - 84/62

Weather History for Fullerton, CA | Weather Underground

you can change moth to see the history, and temps.

Also the beach I most frequently went to was Huntington Beach The water temperature averaged low to mid 70's and the August - September daily high/low was 90-75/70-65 with humid weather of dew points in the 70's everyday

Weather History for Weather Station KCAHUNTI4 | Weather Underground

scroll down to see history.

Last edited by L.A.-Mex; 06-18-2013 at 11:33 PM..

Old 06-18-2013, 11:26 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about averages. Or data collected at the airport. California has wildly varying temperature in short distances. 10 degree swings in a 3 mile distance, 20-25 degree differences in 10-15 miles. You can't scientifically tell me what LA or San Diego weather is unless you are much more specific.
You're still missing the point that in San Diego, there is still a normal temperature then there are the extremes. Can it reach 100 in July? Sure, but it's rare. Thus making it an extreme. The normal July temperature for SD is 76 at its usual highest according to the data in the link.

Lily4:
"It is true about micro-climates. I grew up in Seal Beach and when I was old enough to drive, I would go to the beach in Laguna because it was warmer and the water was warmer and clearer. It was only about a half hour south, but there was a big difference."

Those are also two different cities a half hour apart. There's still an average temp per day for both Seal Beach and Laguna Beach. There is an average temp per day for each city or town everywhere. We're not swing there's an average Southern California temperature, it goes by cities or towns or however scientists prefer to classify it.

If I drive a half hour to a NJ beach, it will be about 10 degrees cooler because of the ocean. In NJ, it's always about 10 degrees colder at the coast no matter the time of year.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Yes, thank you.
the hottest water temp averages are for august and september

Old 06-18-2013, 11:31 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times
Quote:
You're still missing the point that in San Diego, there is still a normal temperature then there are the extremes. Can it reach 100 in July? Sure, but it's rare. Thus making it an extreme. The normal July temperature for SD is 76 at its usual highest according to the data in the link.

Lily4:
"It is true about micro-climates. I grew up in Seal Beach and when I was old enough to drive, I would go to the beach in Laguna because it was warmer and the water was warmer and clearer. It was only about a half hour south, but there was a big difference."

Those are also two different cities a half hour apart. There's still an average temp per day for both Seal Beach and Laguna Beach. There is an average temp per day for each city or town everywhere. We're not swing there's an average Southern California temperature, it goes by cities or towns or however scientists prefer to classify it.

If I drive a half hour to a NJ beach, it will be about 10 degrees cooler because of the ocean. In NJ, it's always about 10 degrees colder at the coast no matter the time of year.
I completely understand what you are saying, but you have no clue what I'm telling you. That average you see for San Diego doesn't mean anything. If you haven't lived on the west coast you have no idea. It's not like the east coast....

Old 06-18-2013, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Those stats are getting outdated as global warming becomes increasingly present.
That's what these people don't understand.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:32 PM

669 posts, read 915,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
What have I pulled out of my rear? As Sav and I said, I live here and have experienced the weather, you do not live here, nor have you. I have lived in San Diego for a total of 7 years. Yes there are many days on the coast with SSTs in the 60sF and days in the 70sF, but most of summer is warmer than the 71-72F stats you posted for the coast (many days in the 80sF) with SSTs in the 70sF. Those stats are getting outdated as global warming becomes increasingly present.
Global Warming Solutions, Is It Real? - National Geographic

Quote:
Signs that the Earth is warming are recorded all over the globe. The easiest way to see increasing temperatures is through the thermometer records kept over the past century and a half. Around the world, the Earth's average temperature has risen more than 1 degree Fahrenheit (0.8 degrees Celsius) over the last century, and about twice that in parts of the Arctic.
Please stop posting now if you want just to avoid further embarrassment.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
the hottest water temp averages are for august and september
Look, this is getting kind of annoying now. No matter how any of you guys spin it, SoCal has pretty cold water. It is usually in the upper 60s. Can it be in the 70s? Of course. It's not a perfect science. But usually, the water is 60-something, especially the further north you go. In Florida, the water is between 80 and 90 with 70s and maybe even 60s in places during the cooler months. The beach weather in Florida is overall better than it is in SoCal. You can go to the beach in December in CA, but you will freeze your butt off in the water and maybe even on the beach if not properly dressed. In southern Florida, you can go to the beach year round comfortably. Florid is practically the Caribbean in its southern parts. This is why Florida is beating CA 36 to 12 currently.

I don't care that the water temperature can reach 73. They can fluctuate dramatically everywhere but there is a usual temp and a not so usual temp. All you need to do to prove this is google it and find a reputable water temperature table.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:35 PM

Quote:
I completely understand what you are saying, but you have no clue what I'm telling you. That average you see for San Diego doesn't mean anything. If you haven't lived on the west coast you have no idea. It's not like the east coast....
Is it normal for a July SD day to be over 100, anywhere? How about under 60? A normal day, most days out of the month, not a day here or there?

Old 06-18-2013, 11:36 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times
Quote:
Look, this is getting kind of annoying now. No matter how any of you guys spin it, SoCal has pretty cold water. It is usually in the upper 60s. Can it be in the 70s? Of course. It's not a perfect science. But usually, the water is 60-something, especially the further north you go. In Florida, the water is between 80 and 90 with 70s and maybe even 60s in places during the cooler months. The beach weather in Florida is overall better than it is in SoCal. You can go to the beach in December in CA, but you will freeze your butt off in the water and maybe even on the beach if not properly dressed. In southern Florida, you can go to the beach year round comfortably. Florid is practically the Caribbean in its southern parts. This is why Florida is beating CA 36 to 12 currently.

I don't care that the water temperature can reach 73. They can fluctuate dramatically everywhere but there is a usual temp and a not so usual temp. All you need to do to prove this is google it and find a reputable water temperature table.

Nice give up....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City