Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more cultural and iconic?
Chicago 113 31.04%
Los Angeles 251 68.96%
Voters: 364. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 03:45 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,420,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I have never heard of Melrose or Robertson either, and Rodeo Dr. only rings a slight bell...
Are you serious? Rodeo Drive is the most famous retail street in the U.S. outside of Manhattan.

Honestly, it's a short street and isn't super interesting, but it's unquestionably globally renowned. Rodeo Drive is absolutely iconic as a retail street.

And Melrose is more famous than any retail street in Chicago too. Referenced on Melrose Place, LA Ink, Entourage, etc. Definitely not my types of shows, but you can't argue it isn't famous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 03:50 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,420,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disposable2 View Post
LOL what? You're just making stuff up now
No, it's definitely true. I lived in SM for about a year (around '06) and it has been a problem. The Pier attracts an unsavory crowd. There have been gang shootings on and near the Pier.

That's why the SM crowd doesn't go there. Too many tourists in the day, and gangbanger wanna-bes at night.

It is absolutely iconic, though.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:55 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
I've seen the Santa Monica pier in plenty of films and music videos, can't really recall much of Navy Pier. Before going to Chicago I had never heard of Navy Pier but knew of Santa Monica Pier, Santa Monica Boulevard, and Coney Island...not really a pier but... kind of like that. Chicago just isn't in the media all that much. Growing up outside the midwest entirely, the biggest Chicago was ever in the media for was by far Michael Jordan and the Bulls. I knew about all of these things probably when I was 10, but probably couldn't tell you what Chicago even looked like, most definitely had an idea of NYC and LA though. I remember the first time I went to Chicago I was really thrown back at it as I just had no concept of it to go off of. The first times in NYC and LA, even SF, Vegas and Miami, I had quite a few preconceived notions of what it would be like. Of course at this time, Millenium Park did not exist.

Last edited by grapico; 11-11-2013 at 04:06 PM..

Old 11-11-2013, 04:00 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disposable2 View Post
Bro I didn't even know what the mag mile or millennium park was til I heard it on CD, outside of the Midwest I doubt most people have heard of those either, isn't this about which city is more iconic/famous? So with that in mind Rodeo Dr >>> Mag mile Griffith Park >> Millennium park, hell now that I think about it Mag Mile is not even more iconic than Melrose or Robertson either.
The Magnificent Mile and Millennium Park are pretty awesome. If you ever see them for yourself, I bet you'll be impressed.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:12 PM

281 posts, read 472,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
The Magnificent Mile and Millennium Park are pretty awesome. If you ever see them for yourself, I bet you'll be impressed.
I'm sure I would enjoy it but iconic it's not

Old 11-11-2013, 04:13 PM

I'm still not sure Chicago is such a name brand city nationally and thus, iconic. From personal experience, many people outside Chicago and midwest (wrongly) do not view it that highly. Out of the people I grew up with in h.s. and college (100s of people), I know of nobody but myself who moved to Chicago...where as I know quite a few people (in multiples) who moved to NYC, DC, Boston, Atlanta, LA, SF, Seattle, San Diego, Miami, Austin, Portland. While I think many of these people might have certainly enjoyed Chicago, there is a general ignorance about it, thus I can't really put it high up being "iconic" for most anything. I think Obama in 2008 might have changed this perception though and put Chicago in more of a spotlight...

Actually I take that back, I do know one other person but that was b/c they went to Northwestern, but I know they left right after that.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:21 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I'm still not sure Chicago is such a name brand city nationally and thus, iconic. From personal experience, many people outside Chicago and midwest (wrongly) do not view it that highly. Out of the people I grew up with in h.s. and college (100s of people), I know of nobody but myself who moved to Chicago...where as I know quite a few people (in multiples) who moved to NYC, DC, Boston, Atlanta, LA, SF, Seattle, San Diego, Miami, Austin, Portland. While I think many of these people might have certainly enjoyed Chicago, there is a general ignorance about it, thus I can't really put it high up being "iconic" for most anything. I think Obama in 2008 might have changed this perception though and put Chicago in more of a spotlight...

Actually I take that back, I do know one other person but that was b/c they went to Northwestern, but I know they left right after that.
I grew up on the West Coast, and I have to agree. Chicago is not one of those cities that jumps out in the American imagination -- there is a general ignorance about it. This is a real shame. I have been to almost every major US city, and Chicago is my favorite. The only city that offers more is NYC, but Chicago is even better IMO. Los Angeles is more iconic, but LA is kind of a let down to be honest. You always hear about it, but once you see it, you think .. meh. Chicago on the other hand .... it's just such an awesome place with some of the nation's best museums, waterfront, architecture, food scene, shopping, etc. -- in the Midwest of all places.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:33 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Am I the only one who hasn't heard of Rodeo Drive? I have heard of the Magnificent Mile though. Haven't been to either.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:40 PM

I take it you've never seen the Beverly Hillbillies, Beverly Hills 90210, Melrose Place, Beverly Hills Cop I/II/III, Beverly Hills Ninja, Pretty Woman, countless movies set in L.A. and also have never flipped to E! or any fashion show for more than 5 minutes, or seen Joan Rivers talk more than 30 seconds. Rodeo drive is *Extremely* well known allover the world.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:45 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiVegas View Post
No, it's definitely true. I lived in SM for about a year (around '06) and it has been a problem. The Pier attracts an unsavory crowd. There have been gang shootings on and near the Pier.

That's why the SM crowd doesn't go there. Too many tourists in the day, and gangbanger wanna-bes at night.

It is absolutely iconic, though.
It's definately not true. This is 2013 not 06. Many touristy spots around the world are avoided by locals, that's nothing new. An unsavory crowd is completely and absolutely false.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City