Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Toronto vs. Houston
Toronto 105 64.02%
Houston 59 35.98%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 01:55 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
I'd love to see that as well. But ethnic diverse is really a broad topic. There is more to ethnic diversity than just politicians, execs and CEO's. Yes, it's good to see minorities in positions of power, but you are also forgetting things like minorities excelling in media, the arts, sports, business, healthcare, a comparative income disparity between minorities/whites in certain areas, cultural events, and so on.
No Im not forgetting.Why cannot there be all of that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 02:07 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,711,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
No Im not forgetting.Why cannot there be all of that?
Well there are a number of things: total population and minority population numbers, minority population percentages, minority population percentages in certain census areas, previous and current immigration/emigration patterns, immigration/emigration history, Canadian history, language (specifically in Quebec), patterns in growth rates in various areas, birth rates etc. That's just off the top, but there is a lot reasons as to why things are the way they are not only in Canada but in the U.S. and every other country in the world.

Old 09-20-2013, 04:48 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,362,871 times
I picked Houston just because I might be able to quickly adapt there than Toronto (weather, culture, etc.)

Old 09-20-2013, 05:31 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
I'd love to see that as well. But ethnic diverse is really a broad topic. There is more to ethnic diversity than just politicians, execs and CEO's. Yes, it's good to see minorities in positions of power, but you are also forgetting things like minorities excelling in media, the arts, sports, business, healthcare, a comparative income disparity between minorities/whites in certain areas, and so on.

That tells me Egypt, Congo and South Africa are ethnically diverse based on criteria used from the results of the study.
Great post! There are more and more visible minorities excelling in all fields in Toronto... Just like any place integration doesn't just happen but I for one notice even in the last ten years in my workplace an increasing number of minorities joining the company and working in good paying jobs.. Government agencies are also doing a great job in this regard and other industries are coming on board..I don't work for government and my CEO is Chinese!

Canada doesn't and Toronto specifically doesn't have the benefit of long standing minorities in the country... Up until the 1960's our country was oppressively white - a few decades versus centuries makes a difference. I know you are a black male and you are smart and so i'm pretty sure you will do well in your life - and we are the safest largest major metro by far on the continent... I think this says much for overall prosperity and SOL across the spectrum...but we do need to make greater strides in representation of visible minorities in leadership roles...lord knows we have our issues but we aren't the only one's lol even though some would have us believe otherwise..

Last edited by fusion2; 09-20-2013 at 05:57 PM..

Old 09-20-2013, 05:54 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,711,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Great post! There are more and more visible minorities excelling in all fields in Toronto... Just like any place integration doesn't just happen but I for one notice even in the last ten years in my workplace an increasing number of minorities joining the company and working in good paying jobs.. Government agencies are also doing a great job in this regard and other industries are coming on board..I don't work for government and my CEO is Chinese!

Canada doesn't and Toronto specifically doesn't have the benefit of long standing minorities in the country... Up until the 1960's our country was oppressively white - a few decades versus centuries makes a difference. I know you are a black male and you are smart and so i'm pretty sure you will do well in your life - and hey we are the safest largest major metro by far on the continent... I think this says much for overall prosperity and SOL...
Agreed. For example, you look at Toronto's most watched news channel CP24 and many of the newer news anchors and meteorologists are all South Asian or Black, or Asian etc. Barely any whites.

In my office whites are the minority as well. I am in the public sector, but I feel like there are much more minorities than there are supposed to be when I look at around lol. But we all get along and everyone is totally cool.

And every Olympics it seems there are more minorities marching in Canadian jackets at the opening ceremonies.

These are only a few examples.

This definitely says a lot of the standard of living in Toronto and the safety of the city.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Agreed. For example, you look at Toronto's most watched news channel CP24 and many of the newer news anchors and meteorologists are all South Asian or Black, or Asian etc. Barely any whites.

In my office whites are the minority as well. I am in the public sector, but I feel like there are much more minorities than there are supposed to be when I look at around lol. But we all get along and everyone is totally cool.

And every Olympics it seems there are more minorities marching in Canadian jackets at the opening ceremonies.

These are only a few examples.

This definitely says a lot of the standard of living in Toronto and the safety of the city.
Yeah - I do agree with the "Anti Toronto" about under representation in leadership roles though...but this is simply going to take time! We both agree that more and more visible minorities are entering the workforce in good paying jobs which means in a pretty decent period of time they WILL move up the ladder to leadership roles.. Toronto is 50 percent vis mins and in a few decades will be over 60 percent - I see big changes coming along in the workplace and ever increasing prosperity and representation at all levels...Things are moving along very fast in the dynamic place called Toronto..

Old 09-20-2013, 06:04 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:

Canada doesn't and Toronto specifically doesn't have the benefit of long standing minorities in the country... Up until the 1960's our country was oppressively white - a few decades versus centuries makes a difference. I know you are a black male and you are smart and so i'm pretty sure you will do well in your life - and we are the safest largest major metro by far on the continent... I think this says much for overall prosperity and SOL across the spectrum...but we do need to make greater strides in representation of visible minorities in leadership roles...lord knows we have our issues but we aren't the only one's lol even though some would have us believe otherwise..
What do you mean by oppressively white?

Old 09-20-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
What do you mean by oppressively white?
Perhaps a better term is "overwhelmingly" white.. until we liberalized immigration policy - the country was pretty white bread. Oppressive wasn't a very good word to use..

Old 09-20-2013, 06:09 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:
Perhaps a better term is "overwhelmingly" white.. until we liberalized immigration policy - the country was pretty white bread. Oppressive wasn't a very good word to use..
That's what I thought you meant.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
That's what I thought you meant.
Yeah thanks for pointing it out - particularly in context - actually a very bad choice of words
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City