Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Toronto vs. Houston
Toronto 105 64.02%
Houston 59 35.98%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 03:40 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,792,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
There are 7 (out of 308) Aboriginals in the Parliament of Canada, which equals about 2.3%. The Aboriginal population in Canada is 3.8%.
"...seven elected members of Parliament with first nations, Inuit or Métis heritage..."
Record number of aboriginal MPs heading to Ottawa - The Globe and Mail

As for Blacks there are 2 (out of 308, not 313), which results in a

Overall not only does Canada have a under-representation of minorities, but the U.S. does as well:

"Despite the level of diversity in the 113th Congress, the makeup of the House and Senate still did not reflect the portion of the United States that is minority or female, according to Census Bureau data.
Only 15 percent of both chambers of the 113th Congress were minorities, and 85 percent were white. Nationwide, more than a third of Americans identified themselves as being a minority at that time, and non-Hispanic whites made up only 63.4 percent of the population, according to the Census Bureau.
Women, meantime, made up only 18 percent of the membership of the House and Senate. Nationwide, women made up about 51 percent of the American population, according to the Census."
113th Congress - Details and Information

Within both countries, not everything will be perfect as there is under-presentation on both sides of the border
No doubt about it but the difference is a noticeable gap in Canada.Maybe you think im trying to gloss over these things in the U.S. ,but Im not.I know firs hand what it like because I too am a minority.

In our largest cities we have had (presently also)minority mayors and even governors.every major race is represented in American both houses as well as presidential cabinet positions.We have had black and hispanic Supreme Court Justices as well going back 30 years.

I was in a cab the other day.The Cab driver and I were talking and I ask him where was he from?He told me Haiti.I begin to tell him how I have many friends in Montreal from Haitian background.Some now live in Atlanta.
He tells me he has a sister in law that lives there.I can't remember why or how it came up, he says:"Obama has no idea what him being President means.The gravity of what he has done will not come to him really until he gets out of office for years afterwards".

I asked him to elaborate.He was basically saying how his people back in Haiti and his other minority and ethnic cab drivers really believe they are AMERICANS.That they are invested in the future of this country.They feel apart because they SEE that there are no LIMITS put on them.

The importance is being visible.Visible minorities in positions of extreme power give hope to those who are not at the top yet.It gives the impression that "hey.if the Pres. is black then maybe I can be too.
Does not mean there is more or less racism ,just means there is opportunity but with some "hiccups" along the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I think that one guy is Jamaican mon.
I thought the same thing actually.lol

Old 09-23-2013, 03:52 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,712,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
No doubt about it but the difference is a noticeable gap in Canada.Maybe you think im trying to gloss over these things in the U.S. ,but Im not.I know firs hand what it like because I too am a minority.

In our largest cities we have had (presently also)minority mayors and even governors.every major race is represented in American both houses as well as presidential cabinet positions.We have had black and hispanic Supreme Court Justices as well going back 30 years.

I was in a cab the other day.The Cab driver and I were talking and I ask him where was he from?He told me Haiti.I begin to tell him how I have many friends in Montreal from Haitian background.Some now live in Atlanta.
He tells me he has a sister in law that lives there.I can't remember why or how it came up, he says:"Obama has no idea what him being President means.The gravity of what he has done will not come to him really until he gets out of office for years afterwards".

I asked him to elaborate.He was basically saying how his people back in Haiti and his other minority and ethnic cab drivers really believe they are AMERICANS.That they are invested in the future of this country.They feel apart because they SEE that there are no LIMITS put on them.

The importance is being visible.Visible minorities in positions of extreme power give hope to those who are not at the top yet.It gives the impression that "hey.if the Pres. is black then maybe I can be too.
Does not mean there is more or less racism ,just means there is opportunity but with some "hiccups" along the way.
I'm fully aware of this. Numerous American cities have minority governors, mayors etc. But again there has been a much longer presence and greater amount of minorities in the United States then there has in Canada. I'm certainly sure this has played a role in the way things are. I'm not saying it's OK or making excuses for Canada but this is something that cannot be ignored. Different historical patterns in two different countries.

We can't expect the gap to be as close to the United States in percentages when minorities are "newer" in Canada and in far less percentages and population.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
I'm fully aware of this. Numerous American cities have minority governors, mayors etc. But again there has been a much longer presence and greater amount of minorities in the United States then there has in Canada. I'm certainly sure this has played a role in the way things are. I'm not saying it's OK or making excuses for Canada but this is something that cannot be ignored. Different historical patterns in two different countries.

We can't expect the gap to be as close to the United States in percentages when minorities are "newer" in Canada and in far less percentages and population.
I dont see it,Im sorry but it does sound like an excuse.Blacks have been free in Canada since 1850's at least.
The first black millionaire was in Canada almost 30-40 years before there was one in America.

The numbers may have not been there as high but blacks and have been a part of society in Canada for a much longer time.Even if blacks have been in the U.S. longer,they had been slaves.
PROPERTY!Not human beings under the law.All the way up until really the 1960's blacks were treated unequal by oppressive laws of separate but equal.It was never equal though.In Canda did you guys ever have such laws?

Do you know right after the war blacks had become Governors and senators all across the South?This gave rise to the KKK and the Jim Crow laws that prevented blacks from voting and assembly.They(we)still have manage to move forward (with some stumbles included).

I just don't buy it.I believe like in the U.S.,blacks have been complacent.Its not until things reach a fever pitch do they(we) get motivated.I.E. civil rights demonstrations and the non-violent movement and bus boycotts.
In Canada they are buying your complacent by making you believe just because they are diverse,everything is gravy.
I see this attitude in many of my Black Canadian friends.Just "happy to be there"."People are nice"."No overt racism like in the U.S.The list goes on and on of what I hear.Then when one of them has to move here to a place like Atlanta,D.C.,Houston or Chicago they see with their eyes what they don't see at home.It becomes real eye opener.

My friend in Canada who used to be marketing for Toronto One tells me all the time about the setbacks.
He is the whitest black guy you will ever meet.If he notices it then I know something is off.
Im not just taking his word for it either.But the stats with the things I saw , felt,and read each time I was in Toronto gave me the impression that he was not far off at all.

Again.Im not sayings its all good in the U.S.A. CLEARLY there are problems but you guys seem like you just bought the whole picture of Kool-Aid and drunk all of it down!

Old 09-24-2013, 06:27 AM

Quote:
I dont see it,Im sorry but it does sound like an excuse.Blacks have been free in Canada since 1850's at least.
The first black millionaire was in Canada almost 30-40 years before there was one in America.

The numbers may have not been there as high but blacks and have been a part of society in Canada for a much longer time.Even if blacks have been in the U.S. longer,they had been slaves.
PROPERTY!Not human beings under the law.All the way up until really the 1960's blacks were treated unequal by oppressive laws of separate but equal.It was never equal though.In Canada did you guys ever have such laws?

Do you know right after the war blacks had become Governors and senators all across the South?This gave rise to the KKK and the Jim Crow laws that prevented blacks from voting and assembly.They(we)still have manage to move forward (with some stumbles included).

I just don't buy it.I believe like in the U.S.,blacks have been complacent.Its not until things reach a fever pitch do they(we) get motivated.I.E. civil rights demonstrations and the non-violent movement and bus boycotts.
In Canada they are buying your complacent by making you believe just because they are diverse,everything is gravy.
I see this attitude in many of my Black Canadian friends.Just "happy to be there"."People are nice"."No overt racism like in the U.S.The list goes on and on of what I hear.Then when one of them has to move here to a place like Atlanta,D.C.,Houston or Chicago they see with their eyes what they don't see at home.It becomes real eye opener.

My friend in Canada who used to be marketing for Toronto One tells me all the time about the setbacks.
He is the whitest black guy you will ever meet.If he notices it then I know something is off.
Im not just taking his word for it either.But the stats with the things I saw , felt,and read each time I was in Toronto gave me the impression that he was not far off at all.

Again.Im not sayings its all good in the U.S.A. CLEARLY there are problems but you guys seem like you just bought the whole picture of Kool-Aid and drunk all of it down!

I guess you are not seeing the point I'm making. And Atlanta, DC, Chicago, Baltimore etc are cities with long black historical populations and in high numbers. How can we act like this doesn't play a role? What city in Canada has at least a 20% black population? How about 15%? Canada as a country is barely 3% black today. Cities like Buffalo, Detroit and Baltimore with high percentages of blacks currently have black mayors. These cities all also have high black populations. Of course there will be less racism towards blacks when these cities are already black everywhere you go. But at the same there will probably be some racism towards whites or other races. I don't know.

The more black people, the higher in numbers, the greater the amount of blacks in history of a country or a city the higher a chance you will see them in high roles like mayors, governors etc. This is regardless of slavery as slavery was abolished in various U.S. states in various years.

I don't know how else to explain it. Canada and the United States are different and have different historical patterns. You cannot expect black history in both have countries to be the same regardless of when slavery was in place.

Just look at other countries with low black populations like Australia and even the UK. The United States in comparison as said before has much more history for black people, higher percentages, higher populated cities, states, etc and for a longer time. Regardless of slavery this definitely plays apart in why things the way they are in certain countries.

With that said yes Canada still has been able to have black MPs, governor general, etc. But not to the same extent as the United States dude to different histories. You have to take this into considerations and look at ratios, percentages, population statistics, history and other stats that play a role. Slavery and when it was abolished is one thing, but all that other stuff I just named is another and is just as important. Anyone that doesn't think these things don't play a role is not looking at the big picture....at all. Again look at the UK and Australia ion comparison. These countries you can somewhat make similar comparisons to Canada in Black population history and politics. Not the 310 million people country that is nearly 15% black with nearly 40 million black people in total.

And besides this thread is Houston vs Toronto. Not Canadian blacks vs US blacks. You are getting waaay off topic. Bring it back.

Last edited by mrjun18; 09-24-2013 at 06:49 AM..

Old 09-24-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
I guess you are not seeing the point I'm making. And Atlanta, DC, Chicago, Baltimore etc are cities with long black historical populations and in high numbers. How can we act like this doesn't play a role? What city in Canada has at least a 20% black population? How about 15%? Canada as a country is barely 3% black today. Cities like Buffalo, Detroit and Baltimore with high percentages of blacks currently have black mayors. These cities all also have high black populations. Of course there will be less racism towards blacks when these cities are already black everywhere you go. But at the same there will probably be some racism towards whites or other races. I don't know.

The more black people, the higher in numbers, the greater the amount of blacks in history of a country or a city the higher a chance you will see them in high roles like mayors, governors etc. This is regardless of slavery as slavery was abolished in various U.S. states in various years.

I don't know how else to explain it. Canada and the United States are different and have different historical patterns. You cannot expect black history in both have countries to be the same regardless of when slavery was in place.

Just look at other countries with low black populations like Australia and even the UK. The United States in comparison as said before has much more history for black people, higher percentages, higher populated cities, states, etc and for a longer time. Regardless of slavery this definitely plays apart in why things the way they are in certain countries.

With that said yes Canada still has been able to have black MPs, governor general, etc. But not to the same extent as the United States dude to different histories. You have to take this into considerations and look at ratios, percentages, population statistics, history and other stats that play a role. Slavery and when it was abolished is one thing, but all that other stuff I just named is another and is just as important. Anyone that doesn't think these things don't play a role is not looking at the big picture....at all. Again look at the UK and Australia ion comparison. These countries you can somewhat make similar comparisons to Canada in Black population history and politics. Not the 310 million people country that is nearly 15% black with nearly 40 million black people in total.

And besides this thread is Houston vs Toronto. Not Canadian blacks vs US blacks. You are getting waaay off topic. Bring it back.
How's it off topic?Im still black whether Im in Houston or Toronto or Seattle.
It was not I that keeps bringing up the history of African Americans in the U.S. versus Canada.

If we take just Ontario or Toronto and match it with a city with similar demographics it just does not measure up well.Houston does have a long history of African American presence and I said this is why Houston is better intergrated than Toronto.That is when you an other brought up all thses objections as to why.Once again it it just does not matter if you are a minority being affected in Toronto.
How you don't see that is mind boggling!

Take a city like say Seattle. Toronto's demographics mirrors that of Seattle.Neither city has strong African roots but they still managed to have a black mayor.That was in 1989..
The state of Washington has also had a Chinese governor as well.

Their are 2 Indian American governors in 2 Southern states currently that have no long histories of having large communities of people from India.Both are Republican,
Even the Chairman of the Republican party has been black.

Denver has a black governor for over 10 years back in the late 1980's also.

We have not even got into Lt.Governors and State Supreme Court Justices.
As far as the UK.Canada and the U'K handle things very much the same way so its no surprise.Although I do think the U.K. is a little further along than Canada.

Its called apathy.That goes on in the U.S. among minorities,but it seems in Canada its much worse by far.

Nova Scotia has had a significant black history dating back for a long time..What top black officials have they produced?

Old 09-24-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
How's it off topic?Im still black whether Im in Houston or Toronto or Seattle.
It was not I that keeps bringing up the history of African Americans in the U.S. versus Canada.

If we take just Ontario or Toronto and match it with a city with similar demographics it just does not measure up well.Houston does have a long history of African American presence and I said this is why Houston is better intergrated than Toronto.That is when you an other brought up all thses objections as to why.Once again it it just does not matter if you are a minority being affected in Toronto.
How you don't see that is mind boggling!

Take a city like say Seattle. Toronto's demographics mirrors that of Seattle.Neither city has strong African roots but they still managed to have a black mayor.That was in 1989..
The state of Washington has also had a Chinese governor as well.

Their are 2 Indian American governors in 2 Southern states currently that have no long histories of having large communities of people from India.Both are Republican,
Even the Chairman of the Republican party has been black.

Denver has a black governor for over 10 years back in the late 1980's also.

We have not even got into Lt.Governors and State Supreme Court Justices.
As far as the UK.Canada and the U'K handle things very much the same way so its no surprise.Although I do think the U.K. is a little further along than Canada.

Its called apathy.That goes on in the U.S. among minorities,but it seems in Canada its much worse by far.

Nova Scotia has had a significant black history dating back for a long time..What top black officials have they produced?
Denver had a black governor? Since when do cities have governors?? You mean the state of Colorado?

Anyways I'm not going back and forth about Blacks in Canada vs Blacks in the U.S. as my previous posts unmistakeably say the difference between two different countries with clearly different black histories.

You are still not understanding the very minor black population and history in Canada, (whether its Canada as a whole, Nova Scotia or whatever) compared to the U.S as stated in numerous posts of mine. For some reason my posts are not getting through to you. No worries. I will let you slide homeboy.

By the way this thread is Houston vs Toronto. The majority of your post is off topic in case you wanted me to explain what I meant by "off topic".

Also, I have already provided how Atlanta does not stack up with Toronto overall in another thread (the stats were very underwhelming for Atlanta honestly... worse than I thought it would be). I shouldn't have to do the same for Houston which is a Beta+ city by the way. The OP's post (//www.city-data.com/forum/31404737-post1.html) was talking about a variety of topics, and overall Houston cannot match Toronto overall.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Denver had a black governor? Since when do cities have governors?? You mean the state of Colorado?

Anyways I'm not going back and forth about Blacks in Canada vs Blacks in the U.S. as my previous posts unmistakeably say the difference between two different countries with clearly different black histories.

You are still not understanding the very minor black population and history in Canada, (whether its Canada as a whole, Nova Scotia or whatever) compared to the U.S as stated in numerous posts of mine. For some reason my posts are not getting through to you. No worries. I will let you slide homeboy.

By the way this thread is Houston vs Toronto. The majority of your post is off topic in case you wanted me to explain what I meant by "off topic".

Also, I have already provided how Atlanta does not stack up with Toronto overall in another thread (the stats were very underwhelming for Atlanta honestly... worse than I thought it would be). I shouldn't have to do the same for Houston which is a Beta+ city by the way. The OP's post (//www.city-data.com/forum/31404737-post1.html) was talking about a variety of topics, and overall Houston cannot match Toronto overall.
You made it about Atlanta once again you are stretching the truth.For blacks in Atlanta AND HOUSTON they are wealthier and more intergraed. Dont know what you mean by underwhelming.Oh yeh...because the "Olympics were the worst ever".Big whoopee do".Atlanta STILL has an economy thats bigger than Toronto AND it has surpassed Toronto in the film industry.What does Toronto own?Sure its a much more livable city,but for WHOM?The city is growing increasingly white at an alarming rate and the minorities are moving further from the center to the edges of the city.This is a trend according to Canadian authoriteis that is a concern as the city also becomes more expensive to live.

Atlanta is not the largest city in a country,Toronto is.Yet Atlanta has a higher GDP,and a more integrated society.Atlanta also happens to be a Alpha- city.a half notch below Toronto.If Toronto was a U.S. city,it be right there with Atlanta.
The ONLY reason Atlanta is not growing as fast as Toronto at the moment is because its just now coming out of the recession.Before then,Atlanta was booming for over 30 years.Its slow now but still doing fairly well.

I even acknowledged how Toronto is more of a world class city.No one in their right mind would say otherwise.
Atlanta is beyond where it should be and is still growing.Toronto is only now beginning to get a little notoriety.

Just like Houston has things over Atlanta,so to does Atlanta have over Houston.Toronto ONLY beats both of the cities in being denser.There is not more to do or see in Toronto.(or less for that matter)

Please elaborate how Toronto beats Houston other than density and transportation?Do you even know what Houston has?Or for that matter Atlanta?

Man you really believe Toronto is so ngreat but I have been all over the world and trust me :its at best average.In that regard Houston ,Atlanta are ALL average cities.Nobody goes to either of them and says "WOW,its one of the best places in the world!".So get off your high horse.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
You made it about Atlanta once again you are stretching the truth.For blacks in Atlanta AND HOUSTON they are wealthier and more intergraed. Dont know what you mean by underwhelming.Oh yeh...because the "Olympics were the worst ever".Big whoopee do".Atlanta STILL has an economy thats bigger than Toronto AND it has surpassed Toronto in the film industry.What does Toronto own?Sure its a much more livable city,but for WHOM?The city is growing increasingly white at an alarming rate and the minorities are moving further from the center to the edges of the city.This is a trend according to Canadian authoriteis that is a concern as the city also becomes more expensive to live.

Atlanta is not the largest city in a country,Toronto is.Yet Atlanta has a higher GDP,and a more integrated society.Atlanta also happens to be a Alpha- city.a half notch below Toronto.If Toronto was a U.S. city,it be right there with Atlanta.
The ONLY reason Atlanta is not growing as fast as Toronto at the moment is because its just now coming out of the recession.Before then,Atlanta was booming for over 30 years.Its slow now but still doing fairly well.

I even acknowledged how Toronto is more of a world class city.No one in their right mind would say otherwise.
Atlanta is beyond where it should be and is still growing.Toronto is only now beginning to get a little notoriety.

Just like Houston has things over Atlanta,so to does Atlanta have over Houston.Toronto ONLY beats both of the cities in being denser.There is not more to do or see in Toronto.(or less for that matter)

Please elaborate how Toronto beats Houston other than density and transportation?Do you even know what Houston has?Or for that matter Atlanta?

Man you really believe Toronto is so ngreat but I have been all over the world and trust me :its at best average.In that regard Houston ,Atlanta are ALL average cities.Nobody goes to either of them and says "WOW,its one of the best places in the world!".So get off your high horse.
Underwhelming world class city lists. Shall I repost them here for everyone to see how Atlanta ranks?

Remember. Big economy, reality shows and all that you posted... Toronto still outclassed Atlanta terribly on just about every list.

If you want me to repost and extend the lists with more results, just ask...

Old 09-24-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Underwhelming world class city lists. Shall I repost them here for everyone to see how Atlanta ranks?

Remember. Big economy, reality shows and all that you posted... Toronto still outclassed Atlanta terribly on just about every list.

If you want me to repost and extend the lists with more results, just ask...
I did not and you know it.When was "Gone With The Wind" a reality show?Or the Walking Dead?LOL.Oh thats right you ignore those things for ONLY the negative.Wow..just wow dude

And that would prove what?So because Chicago is whopping that ass you need Atlanta or Houston to validate you?Go ahead do what you feel.Its irrelevant.Atlanta is a great city that has more people that visit each year by DOUBLE than Toronto and growing.In spite of anything negative.A 500% increase in international visitors since 1970 and ranks nineth in the U.S.
Those are not bad numbers at all to be ashamed of.Especially for a city of only 443,000 people.

So any negative stuff you can post are just obvious trolling because you cannot defend the indefensible.

I can honestly say I have NEVER has any desire to live in Toronto.In fact I would pick Vancouver or even crazy ass Montreal over Toronto. Any day. Ok .Maybe not Montreal as a city to live in over Toronto,but definitely to visit.

Post away but Toronto will still be Toronto with all its problems and so will Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City