Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Toronto vs. Houston
Toronto 105 64.02%
Houston 59 35.98%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 03:54 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,712,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I don't think anyone is expecting Canadian cities to have equal representation of black upper class as US cities, but they do want to see a black upper-class that represents the community that exists. There is absolutely no reason why we should only have one black city council member, zero blacks at the C Level positions at the Big 5 banks or zero black managing partners at any of the big law firms in Toronto.

It is that attitude to accept mediocrity that I never quite jived with when living in Toronto. Its that type of attitude that holds us back as a community as well. I don't care what a couple white Canadians born and raised in Toronto want to say, but doing barely "better" than where you came from is not enough for many of us.
I wasn't saying we should accept this. As a black person myself of course I would like to see more representation.

But again there are a lot of factors that you have to take into consideration as to why things are the way they are.

How many Blacks actually ran for city council? Percentage of Blacks in the city vs other races? Past trends in races and politics? And so on... So many things.

There is much more to having Blacks represented in council just because there are Blacks people there. A lot has to be looked at. That's all I'm saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 04:31 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,792,576 times
Default !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
I wasn't saying we should accept this. As a black person myself of course I would like to see more representation.

But again there are a lot of factors that you have to take into consideration as to why things are the way they are.

How many Blacks actually ran for city council? Percentage of Blacks in the city vs other races? Past trends in races and politics? And so on... So many things.

There is much more to having Blacks represented in council just because there are Blacks people there. A lot has to be looked at. That's all I'm saying.
How old are you?It sounds like you are fairly new in the professional workforce.Not to mention ,you work in the public sector which is far different than the private sector and corporate America(meaning North America).

What you are not getting is :You already know WHY just like I do.We get the whys.But its an excuse.When you focus so much on why,you just accept that as an EXCUSE.
That is the MAIN difference between Black Canadians and African Americans.
Black Canadians have been there longer than ANY group.They been there almost as long as the whites.

Asian Canadians(some coups like the South Asians,Chinese and particular Asian groups are able to make it and assimilate much faster than blacks.Does it matter why?NO!

Old 09-21-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
How old are you?It sounds like you are fairly new in the professional workforce.Not to mention ,you work in the public sector which is far different than the private sector and corporate America(meaning North America).

What you are not getting is :You already know WHY just like I do.We get the whys.But its an excuse.When you focus so much on why,you just accept that as an EXCUSE.
That is the MAIN difference between Black Canadians and African Americans.
Black Canadians have been there longer than ANY group.They been there almost as long as the whites.

Asian Canadians(some coups like the South Asians,Chinese and particular Asian groups are able to make it and assimilate much faster than blacks.Does it matter why?NO!
I'm in my 20's. Im fully aware of the public and private sector due to where I work since I deal with both sectors everyday.

If its an excuse then so be it. *shrugs shoulders*.

There are many successful black engineers, doctors, and other professionals, artists, athletes, etc. Not every black person will be a CEO or politician. Things change all the time by the way.

Last edited by mrjun18; 09-21-2013 at 05:19 PM..

Old 09-21-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
I'm in my 20's. Im fully aware of the public and private sector due to where I work since I deal with both sectors everyday.

If its an excuse then so be it. *shrugs shoulders*.

There are many successful black engineers, doctors, and other professionals, artists, athletes, etc. Not every black person will be a CEO or politician. Things change all the time by the way.
I not suggesting that at all.Im simply saying its a wider gap that is more evident in Canada than the U.S.Both countries are better than in Europe,but Canada is farther behind the U.S than it needs to be or should be.

You guys have better more thoughtful laws but they do not translate in to action as much.Thats my point.Its not me claiming Toronto is racist or behind the times but this is an important areas that needs to change sooner than later.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:59 AM

Quote:
I not suggesting that at all.Im simply saying its a wider gap that is more evident in Canada than the U.S.Both countries are better than in Europe,but Canada is farther behind the U.S than it needs to be or should be.

You guys have better more thoughtful laws but they do not translate in to action as much.Thats my point.Its not me claiming Toronto is racist or behind the times but this is an important areas that needs to change sooner than later.
Agreed.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:19 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
Not getting into the argument but having minorities in positions of political power even at local level is far more important than having office workers, a stereotypical "black athlete" or an "asian doctor". In fact, they aren't really related as one is based on ability and the other is based on popular opinion. It is definitely telling about the areas values and views, and this goes for all cities.

Is there even a single african-canadian male in Canadian parliament out of the 313 members of the entire country?

Last edited by grapico; 09-22-2013 at 10:30 AM..

Old 09-22-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Not getting into the argument but having minorities in positions of political power even at local level is far more important than having office workers, a stereotypical "black athlete" or an "asian doctor". In fact, they aren't really related as one is based on ability and the other is based on popular opinion. It is definitely telling about the areas values and views, and this goes for all cities.

Is there even a single african-canadian male in Canadian parliament out of the 313 members of the entire country?
There are 2 black members in Parliament out of 313.
Over a 20 year period the black Canadian Populace has exploded
The Prison populace of blacks has grown to a 69% incarceration rate.

Black Canadians are 2.5% of the population. Thats is about 3% so I guess they are over represented technically.How ever when you look at other government bodies and top executive positions its not even a tenth of that.
Aboriginals make up 4% of the populace and have no representation in Parliament as far as I could find but I did not look very good so I could be wrong.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:

Black Canadians are 2.5% of the population. Thats is about 3% so I guess they are over represented technically.How ever when you look at other government bodies and top executive positions its not even a tenth of that.
Aboriginals make up 4% of the populace and have no representation in Parliament as far as I could find but I did not look very good so I could be wrong.

There are 7 (out of 308) Aboriginals in the Parliament of Canada, which equals about 2.3%. The Aboriginal population in Canada is 3.8%.
"...seven elected members of Parliament with first nations, Inuit or Métis heritage..."
Record number of aboriginal MPs heading to Ottawa - The Globe and Mail

As for Blacks there are 2 (out of 308, not 313), which results in a

Overall not only does Canada have a under-representation of minorities, but the U.S. does as well:

"Despite the level of diversity in the 113th Congress, the makeup of the House and Senate still did not reflect the portion of the United States that is minority or female, according to Census Bureau data.
Only 15 percent of both chambers of the 113th Congress were minorities, and 85 percent were white. Nationwide, more than a third of Americans identified themselves as being a minority at that time, and non-Hispanic whites made up only 63.4 percent of the population, according to the Census Bureau.
Women, meantime, made up only 18 percent of the membership of the House and Senate. Nationwide, women made up about 51 percent of the American population, according to the Census."
113th Congress - Details and Information

Within both countries, not everything will be perfect as there is under-presentation on both sides of the border

Last edited by mrjun18; 09-23-2013 at 09:27 AM..

Old 09-23-2013, 01:50 PM

739 posts, read 1,187,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
I picked Houston just because I might be able to quickly adapt there than Toronto (weather, culture, etc.)
I've met several Canadians here, who love Houston.... majority of them like the climate here (warmer).

Old 09-23-2013, 03:04 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
Quote:

I think that one guy is Jamaican mon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City