Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Toronto vs. Houston
Toronto 105 64.02%
Houston 59 35.98%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 09:36 PM

126 posts, read 152,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Who exactly voted Canada least racist country on planet Earth!?

Still the Least Racist Country in the World | National Review Online
US...A , US....A

LOL!

The guy cites no facts, studies, or numbers at all. I lived in the USA for 2 years, and have been to more than a dozen States. There is far, far more overt racism in the USA than there is in Canada. Anybody who has lived in both countries can attest to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 10:36 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Man View Post
LOL!

The guy cites no facts, studies, or numbers at all. I lived in the USA for 2 years, and have been to more than a dozen States. There is far, far more overt racism in the USA than there is in Canada. Anybody who has lived in both countries can attest to this.
Some decent points have been made that we do need to improve the number of visible minorities in leadership roles in our society... that representation is low and an improvement in their earning capacity is desirable - which will happen in time - we still are a new multicultural/ethnic/racial society so not that shocking... lotsa FOBS here.. but yeah, the U.S is far from a utopic society for racial equality or even socioeconomic equality..and violence is a real problem in many U.S cities where 100's of young people in each are getting shot to death - thousands and thousands are murdered every year.. The shrinking middle class should be a huge cause for concern in both countries.. Certainly a lot of throwing stones in glass houses going on... yeah some pretty wacky things have been said to me here.. like the reason Toronto didn't get the Olympics are due to 'painful' realities lol.... - what is that supposed to mean...as if Toronto is Nazi German or that I don't sleep at night because Toronto lost the Olympics in 1996 to Atlanta... BIG DEAL... nobody in Toronto cares about that!!

Last edited by fusion2; 09-20-2013 at 10:53 PM..

Old 09-21-2013, 07:41 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
Agreed. For example, you look at Toronto's most watched news channel CP24 and many of the newer news anchors and meteorologists are all South Asian or Black, or Asian etc. Barely any whites.

In my office whites are the minority as well. I am in the public sector, but I feel like there are much more minorities than there are supposed to be when I look at around lol. But we all get along and everyone is totally cool.

And every Olympics it seems there are more minorities marching in Canadian jackets at the opening ceremonies.

These are only a few examples.

This definitely says a lot of the standard of living in Toronto and the safety of the city.
The Olympics?Football?Are you serious?Even in Spain and Italy the teams are diverse.How is that proof the countr is safer because its divers?that makes NO sense whatsoever.You guys really aredrinking the "kool aid"(refer to Jim Jones incident for that remark)

On a visit to America in February, the president of Georgia, Mikheil Saakashvili, said:

Quote:
“The other day, I was in a small company — and there were Asians, Koreans, Middle Easterners, some other people. And they had been in America for, like, two, three, four years. And they talk American. They look American. Body language is American. I’m sure they already think American. Go to Korea and become Korean in one or two years’ time. Good luck with that. That’s what’s so special about this country.”
Actually I think this says more....

[Enhanced video] Shooting of Sammy Yatim by Toronto Police - Police Brutality - YouTube
Hundreds protest police violence for streetcar shooting victim, Sammy Yatim | Globalnews.ca

Royal Bank of Canda CEO"

RBC CEO Gord Nixon’s pay surges to $12.6-billion on record profit | Financial Post
American Express CEO:

Bank of America fmr Chairman(Morehouse College graduate and former President-Its a highly regarded HBCU in Atlanta with many famous graduates like Spike Lee,Samuel L Jackson,Lawrence Fishbrn,Martin Luther King and Herman Cain to name a small portion of world famous grauates):

Massachussets Governor

Louisanna Governor

Ontario Province Premier

You guys are clueless.You gotta be younger than 30 and grew up well off because you attitude is one of just oblivious to what many other blacks face.May I ask are you a dark skinned Afro-Canadian/Caribean Canadian or light skinned.
Not an insult aimed at you or anyway.Just curious about how you are viewed and how you view yourself and and why?
I dont mind answering those questions about myself if you want me too.

Last edited by afonega1; 09-21-2013 at 08:00 AM..

Old 09-21-2013, 07:49 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Man View Post
LOL!

The U.S. is big an diverse(I mean in demographic terms of different places).If you were a black in Edmonton ,Calgary ,Saskatchewan or Halifax ones view are far worse than most places in the U.S.
Most Americans are clueless about those places and the Canadian talk about some places in the U.S. using Toronto and Vancouver as the standard.Typical Canadian mindset of putting there heads in the sand.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:11 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,972 times
There's no equivalent to a place like Atlanta, which is dominate black and a huge thriving metropolis. Even a place like El Paso that is dominate Hispanic and thrives. Most European countries are very racist even more so in today's world. The US has lingering issues but no country works as hard at it and has advanced more quickly. We have the hardest time with kids from lower class areas succeeding in general, middle class kids of all races have a pretty level playing field for success.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:53 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
There's no equivalent to a place like Atlanta, which is dominate black and a huge thriving metropolis. Even a place like El Paso that is dominate Hispanic and thrives. Most European countries are very racist even more so in today's world. The US has lingering issues but no country works as hard at it and has advanced more quickly. We have the hardest time with kids from lower class areas succeeding in general, middle class kids of all races have a pretty level playing field for success.
The situation isn't as bad for Toronto's visible minorities of middle class either.. its getting everyone over the poverty hump - it will take some time but we'll get there and are moving there.

As I said before the biggest issue both Canada and the U.S have to deal with is a shrinking middle class!

Old 09-21-2013, 09:07 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,604,614 times
Quote:
All very nice but this thread is Toronto vs Houston, not Canada vs USA.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:18 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
The situation isn't as bad for Toronto's visible minorities of middle class either.. its getting everyone over the poverty hump - it will take some time but we'll get there and are moving there.

As I said before the biggest issue both Canada and the U.S have to deal with is a shrinking middle class!

I agree. If you arent guided and self motivated you will be left in the dust. Thats also why I said that its more an issue with class (which is disproportionate minority) than it is race, but things they are a'changin...

Old 09-21-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
The Olympics?Football?Are you serious?Even in Spain and Italy the teams are diverse.How is that proof the countr is safer because its divers?that makes NO sense whatsoever.You guys really aredrinking the "kool aid"(refer to Jim Jones incident for that remark)

On a visit to America in February, the president of Georgia, Mikheil Saakashvili, said:

Actually I think this says more....

[Enhanced video] Shooting of Sammy Yatim by Toronto Police - Police Brutality - YouTube
Hundreds protest police violence for streetcar shooting victim, Sammy Yatim | Globalnews.ca

Royal Bank of Canda CEO"

RBC CEO Gord Nixon’s pay surges to $12.6-billion on record profit | Financial Post
American Express CEO:

Bank of America fmr Chairman(Morehouse College graduate and former President-Its a highly regarded HBCU in Atlanta with many famous graduates like Spike Lee,Samuel L Jackson,Lawrence Fishbrn,Martin Luther King and Herman Cain to name a small portion of world famous grauates):

Massachussets Governor

Louisanna Governor

Ontario Province Premier

You guys are clueless.You gotta be younger than 30 and grew up well off because you attitude is one of just oblivious to what many other blacks face.May I ask are you a dark skinned Afro-Canadian/Caribean Canadian or light skinned.
Not an insult aimed at you or anyway.Just curious about how you are viewed and how you view yourself and and why?
I dont mind answering those questions about myself if you want me too.

What's the point of your trolling? There are white people in charge of American companies too. And there are non-whites in charge of Canadian companies. In fact, the CEO of my company is an immigrant from China.

And your posting of a non-white being shot by the cops is stupid. Non-whites are shot by cops in the USA all the time.

Indeed it is you who is clueless.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
The U.S. is big an diverse(I mean in demographic terms of different places).If you were a black in Edmonton ,Calgary ,Saskatchewan or Halifax ones view are far worse than most places in the U.S.
Most Americans are clueless about those places and the Canadian talk about some places in the U.S. using Toronto and Vancouver as the standard.Typical Canadian mindset of putting there heads in the sand.
I was born in Edmonton. There aren't many blacks there, but there is almost no racism against the blacks that are there.

How much time have you spent living in Edmonton, Calgary, etc. And how would you know what the "views" of the black people there are?

I lived in the United States for two years BTW. You're the one with your head in the sand if you think there's no racism there. Just look at all the hate against Middle Easterners and Muslims.

Miss America 2014 Win Prompts Racist Twitter Backlash, Followed By (Some) Twitter Apologies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City