Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2016, 09:26 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times

Advertisements

44 is mindboggling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 06:39 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,825,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
How many highrises are going up in Miami and NYC? I know NYC has TONS going up.

Chicago is currently at 44 under actual construction and 3 more that are having site-work/demo. There are 60+ proposals, but I don't really look at much until financing is in place and there is actual site-work/demo (it's GOING to happen).

What about other places with a lot of highrise construction? Stats?
That's great Seattle only has 25 towers under construction but we have over a dozen sites that are site-work/demo and dozens of proposed.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:48 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,709,317 times
Quote:

Chicago is currently at 44 under actual construction and 3 more that are having site-work/demo. There are 60+ proposals, but I don't really look at much until financing is in place and there is actual site-work/demo (it's GOING to happen).

NYC has about ~100 highrises currently U/C. Its hard to track though.
There are 19 skyscrapers over 670ft currently u/c, 7 supertalls u/c with 6 recently topped out.
In addition, there are 12 more skyscrapers over 670ft in site prep, including 6 supertalls.

There are proposals for about 25 more supertalls, and ~50 skyscrapers above 670ft. I am pretty sure nobody tracks highrise proposals, because people can barely keep track of all the highrises currently u/c in all the boroughs in the first place, let alone proposals.

Here is a render of most current and future projects we know of:
http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/o...20-skyline.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 09-03-2016 at 06:43 AM..

Old 09-02-2016, 06:10 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,622,948 times
Quote:

Well what do you define as a highrise?
How many stories or feet high?

Remember Miami is a tiny city at 35 Square miles but the construction overflows to suburbs like Miami Beach , Sunny Isles Beach , Ft. Lauderdale ,etc.

Old 09-02-2016, 11:28 AM

1,780 posts, read 1,761,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
NYC has about ~100 highrises currently U/C. Its hard to track though.
There are 19 skyscrapers over 670ft currently u/c, 7 supertalls u/c with 6 recently topped out.
In addition, there are 12 more skyscrapers over 670ft in site prep, including 6 supertalls.

There are proposals for about 25 more supertalls, and ~50 skyscrapers above 670ft. I am pretty sure nobody tracks highrise proposals, because people can barely keep track of all the highrises currently u/c in all the boroughs in the first place, let alone proposals.

Here is a render of most current and future projects we know of:
I knew NYC had tons of development action from surfing the forums at SSP, but damn, I hadn't seen a rendering of them all together.

NYC is disgusting. (I mean this in the best way possible)

Brooklyn is essentially going to become lower Manhattan in the next decade, from a skyline perspective.

Old 09-02-2016, 11:40 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
I knew NYC had tons of development action from surfing the forums at SSP, but damn, I hadn't seen a rendering of them all together.

NYC is disgusting. (I mean this in the best way possible)

Brooklyn is essentially going to become lower Manhattan in the next decade, from a skyline perspective.
True, but im not a fan of those super slender towers tho.

Old 09-02-2016, 11:46 AM

1,780 posts, read 1,761,471 times
It's extremely hard to count, but LA has several highrises going up across the city. The 5 square mile downtown freeway loop has over 20 currently u/c, but as decentralized as LA is, the rest of the city (Koreatown, Hollywood, Westlake, Wilshire corridor) also have about a half dozen each going up.

I don't know how many outside LA know this, but NIMBY opposition has become extreme in Hollywood especially, and anti-development backers are pushing for a bill that would put a 2-year moratorium on all large projects, city-wide. This bill would be detrimental to LA's progress, and I really hope it doesn't pass. The polls as of now are encouraging, but they successfully pushed the vote to March, knowing there will be a lower turnout. It's sickening, because the AIDS healthcare foundation has spent over $1 million of their own funds on the campaign, which could've gone to actual AIDS Research. Even Leonardo Dicaprio and Kirsen Dunst have come out as activists pushing this measure.

Why the 'Neighborhood Integrity Initiative' would worsen L.A.'s affordability crisis - LA Times

P.S. If you check out the link, you will see a picture of Michael Weinsteins (Head of the AIDS healthcare foundation) office view. This whole thing started because a development at the Palladium next door would construct two residential highrises of the same height as the AHF office building. His corner office view wouldn't be so great anymore, now would it.

Old 09-02-2016, 12:56 PM

574 posts, read 689,510 times
NYC is certainly a beast! I just hope it doesn't become too much to where it starts to look cluttered (well more cluttered than it already looks). Is NYC doing this to keep the Asian cities at bay?

Old 09-02-2016, 01:39 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,885,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ambitious View Post
NYC is certainly a beast! I just hope it doesn't become too much to where it starts to look cluttered (well more cluttered than it already looks). Is NYC doing this to keep the Asian cities at bay?
The cost and permits required to build a high rise in the U.S. is a whole different ballpark than building a high rise in Asian countries.

Old 09-02-2016, 01:58 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,757,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
The cost and permits required to build a high rise in the U.S. is a whole different ballpark than building a high rise in Asian countries.
That's an understatement. It's not even close. And the environmental review is out of control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City