Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2016, 09:15 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times

Advertisements

Oceanwide is pretty busy in CA I see.

They just paid $300 million for a 1 acre lot in downtown SF so they can build a 2m sq ft mixed use development which will include a 905 ft tower.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...oceanwide.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 06:27 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,671 times
$300 million..? Wow. I'm surprised they aren't building taller..

Old 05-20-2016, 06:42 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
It would be good, but I just don't see that much serious interest in moving forward with a N/S rail link right now. Former Govs. Weld and and Dukakis are pushing hard for it, but the current administration doesn't really see it as a priority. I think the administration (secretary of MassDOT) said they may fund a study, but it's so far off the radar that I don't think you could even consider asking a developer for money for it. Maybe $1/2 million for a study, but not more than that.
Well, can't you push for it? Personally?

Infrastructure-wise, it seems like it'd be the best value of any mass transit project in the US. It greatly increases capacity for Boston commuter rail stations which is already strained and the much less useful current solutions of just having more berths at the terminal stations are a bad value overall. Constructing this wouldn't just meet the current demands for greater capacity, but would greatly exceed them so would be a good hedge for the future, but also allows for many new transit patterns and is a strain relief on other parts of the transit system by not having to force transfers at already crowded stations as well as acting as additional rapid transit option within the core. Then on top of all that is that it's an important piece of infrastructure for national infrastructure as not connecting the current two stations means that national (and potentially international to Canada) rail transport is currently broken between the greater national network and the network going north from Boston. It seems ridiculous to not build this unless there's the expectation that Boston and its metro area will not grow to any significant degree and neither will any of the cities north of it.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-20-2016 at 06:50 PM..

Old 05-23-2016, 07:09 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,361,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Two major new projects coming to Chicago's extended Loop.

One is the selling of the Old Chicago Main Post Office which has been sitting derelict for quite some time. It's finally been sold to a developer with the means to redevelop it.

City says deal moves forward to redevelop old main post office - Chicago Tribune

Another is the large 62 acre riverfront lot that was formerly a railyard in the South Loop area that Related has just signed on for as lead developer.

Developer signs deal to build 62-acre neighborhood linking South Loop and Chinatown - Chicago Tribune

Both of these are centrally located, on the riverfront, and massive in size.

Unfortunately, it's also looking a bit grim for the Lucas museum right now.

Thanks Oy Crumbler for pointing this out, since there are apparently not alot of Chicagoans on here boosting all the development in town. These two developments are huge, put forward by reputable developers, and will quite literally change the face of the city. It may give a boost to an already expanding Chinatown, which marches into less desireable areas of the south side. With the negative publicity Chicago gets, the core areas and the outlying areas to the core along with many north side neighborhoods are just short of booming by all appearances.

Old 05-24-2016, 02:12 PM

12,866 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, can't you push for it? Personally?

Infrastructure-wise, it seems like it'd be the best value of any mass transit project in the US. It greatly increases capacity for Boston commuter rail stations which is already strained and the much less useful current solutions of just having more berths at the terminal stations are a bad value overall. Constructing this wouldn't just meet the current demands for greater capacity, but would greatly exceed them so would be a good hedge for the future, but also allows for many new transit patterns and is a strain relief on other parts of the transit system by not having to force transfers at already crowded stations as well as acting as additional rapid transit option within the core. Then on top of all that is that it's an important piece of infrastructure for national infrastructure as not connecting the current two stations means that national (and potentially international to Canada) rail transport is currently broken between the greater national network and the network going north from Boston. It seems ridiculous to not build this unless there's the expectation that Boston and its metro area will not grow to any significant degree and neither will any of the cities north of it.
Sure. But I don't have the kind of pull that would cause this to budge. The politics are against it.

The 2007 cost estimate for NSRL was about $7 Billion. However, the consensus locally is that that number was intentionally inflated by the contractor. Even still, the cost of such an expansion is going to be massive. Say the actual cost will be 1/2 that. $3.5 Billion (and that's a low-ball estimate) for a tunnel under the Financial District is a tough pill to swallow for taxpayers in MA who watched the last tunnel project (Big Dig) under Boston skyrocket above initial estimates. There's currently $2 Million dedicated to "study" (it's essentially an environmental impact study) the project. It's little more

The merits of a North/South Rail Link are undeniable. But at the same time, it's a tough sell for a city that went through so much with a tunnel project in literally the same location a little over 10 years ago. I think one of the issues is that a lot of tax payers around here feel like they're well connected to NYC via rail already. They don't care so much if the NSRL links the rest of the NEC with Montreal (improving connections to Portland ME, at 66k and about 200,000 in the immediate metro area is laughable as motivation for a project of that magnitude- same goes for Manchester and Portsmouth). There aren't many obvious immediate benefits to locals. Again, I know there are benefits, but I'm talking about easily marketable benefits. The South Station expansion, increased headways, system electrification, etc. can all be done without the NSRL.

A Red/Blue Line connection, electrification of the commuter rail network, south station expansion, blue line to lynn, green line extension (which is challenging enough as it is), south coast commuter rail, etc. are all projects that are far easier to sell to the local population. And to be completely honest, I'd prioritize a number of those as being more important in the present for the region than NSRL.

Old 07-12-2016, 03:15 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,136,869 times
And the Midtown Atlanta boom continues...

Atlanta has finally got a big one. This project has been in the works for years now and they recently change the design. It was going to be 3 towers, the tallest one being 720 feet however they decided to go with a two tower approach, but are only building 1 tower for now, however, with that, they redesigned that tower to now be taller.

98 14th Street - 920 feet - 74 Floors. - 382 condos, 180 Corporate Suites, 60,370 SF of Retail

http://media.bizj.us/view/img/100810...rcam03-01b.jpg
http://media.bizj.us/view/img/100810...-cam04-01b.jpg
http://media.bizj.us/view/img/100810...rcam05-04b.jpg
http://media.bizj.us/view/img/100810...uilding-03.jpg
http://media.bizj.us/view/img/100810...ylight-03b.jpg

It will be the tallest all-residential building outside of NYC and I think Miami(I think they recently approved of a residential building that was taller...not sure though). It'll also be Atlanta's 2nd tallest tower in the city.

Developers state they plan to break ground as soon as they receive approval from Midtown and City of Atlanta officials.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...nta-tower.html

Last edited by JMT; 09-03-2016 at 06:50 AM..

Old 07-12-2016, 03:20 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
thats hot. Go #ATL

Old 07-13-2016, 11:36 AM

12,866 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
thats hot. Go #ATL
Ditto. I like that a lot. Nicely done, Atlanta.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:58 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
$300 million..? Wow. I'm surprised they aren't building taller..

From the developer:

“We got it at a great price. We bought it out of foreclosure and bankruptcy,” said Covarrubias. “I describe it as the center of the diamond.”

Old 07-13-2016, 10:48 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,841,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
And the Midtown Atlanta boom continues...

Atlanta has finally got a big one. This project has been in the works for years now and they recently change the design. It was going to be 3 towers, the tallest one being 720 feet however they decided to go with a two tower approach, but are only building 1 tower for now, however, with that, they redesigned that tower to now be taller.

98 14th Street - 920 feet - 74 Floors. - 382 condos, 180 Corporate Suites, 60,370 SF of Retail

It will be the tallest all-residential building outside of NYC and I think Miami(I think they recently approved of a residential building that was taller...not sure though). It'll also be Atlanta's 2nd tallest tower in the city.

Developers state they plan to break ground as soon as they receive approval from Midtown and City of Atlanta officials.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...nta-tower.html
Looks good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City