Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2016, 08:17 AM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD28194 View Post
Just in today news, this South Station tower is definitely moving along more positive than you thought:

South Station Tower Plan Revived - Banker & Tradesman
I'm guessing you haven't followed this project for very long. We've seen essentially the same news multiple times since 2006. Developer is "ready to go" then nothing happens. I hope I'm wrong this time, but we've seen the same headlines for over a decade. There's been a proposal for the air rights over South Station for 50 or so years (not an exaggeration- literally half a century of proposals here). Nothing's come of it. Why not? It's not because the economy hasn't cooperated. It's because it's an air rights development. It's incredibly challenging from an engineering standpoint and exceedingly expensive. There's a reason proposals like Fenway Center and Columbus Center died slow and painful deaths.

So the best way to read the latest news on SST is with cautious optimism. Personally, I'd ignore it all until you actually see steel rising. While the tower as-is is approved, the developer wants to make significant changes (including adding a major residential component which will most likely result in a design change) which will require them to go through another approval process (public hearings, community meetings, etc.). And again, this is an air rights development above New England's largest rail transit hub, not construction on an surface parking lot above bedrock. An early 2017 groundbreaking is exceedingly optimistic. Since we've seen the same headlines multiple times, you'll have to forgive me for not paying this any mind until steel is rising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 11:37 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
DC Area Class A Rents Rise at Fastest Pace Since 2010

So much for overbuilding. The building BOOM continues in D.C.....

DC Area Class A Rents Rise at Fastest Pace Since 2010

Old 04-09-2016, 04:34 AM

4 posts, read 4,643 times
I can attest Atlanta has seen major growth in the past few years. I live in midtown Atlanta and the sky is full of cranes in my neighborhood alone. The skyline is filling out, it's becoming more urban and rapidly adding housing. I'm glad you mentioned the beltline which should be a comprehensive network of light rail/bike trails/pedestrian paths and development corridor which wraps the entire city in a 22 mile loop. We've also added a street car downtown and passed legislation to begin expanding existing public transit probably in the form of light rail. As the home of many Fortune 500 companies and as a liberal city in the south, I'd say we have a lot to offer!

Old 04-09-2016, 09:02 PM

176 posts, read 175,003 times
3D interactive Miami Downtown Development Map

A few of the latest projects are missing, but this map highlights 116 projects for just the greater Miami downtown.
among the highlights are:

6 new Super tall buildings/structures planned (2 under construction)
A regional Grand Central type Train Station complex with a planned super tall (under construction)
a new convention center and Hotel
Zaha Hadid's (RIP) first and only western hemisphere tower (gone vertical)
Bayside Science Museum w/ aquarium (uc online late 2017)
Brickell City Center (online 2017)
Soccer stadium for new Beckham United team
15 buildings over 500' under construction

Old 04-09-2016, 10:34 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobchbud1 View Post
3D interactive Miami Downtown Development Map

A few of the latest projects are missing, but this map highlights 116 projects for just the greater Miami downtown.
among the highlights are:

6 new Super tall buildings/structures planned (2 under construction)
A regional Grand Central type Train Station complex with a planned super tall (under construction)
a new convention center and Hotel
Zaha Hadid's (RIP) first and only western hemisphere tower (gone vertical)
Bayside Science Museum w/ aquarium (uc online late 2017)
Brickell City Center (online 2017)
Soccer stadium for new Beckham United team
15 buildings over 500' under construction
That's an awesome site, and I don't discount some fantastic, individual buildings and development going forward there but I can't help to consider how it continues to wall off the edge of the coastline from a human scale perspective there, and for buildings that are rarely occupied by local residents, empty most of the time as just investments from foreign owners.

I am so thankful of our (grossly restrictive to developers) coastal zoning here in California that effectively precludes construction of almost all buildings above 30' in height along coastal zones as well as guarantees perpetual access to all coast areas at anything below high tide. It should be available to the masses visually and actually, and in this state it is and always will be.

Last edited by T. Damon; 04-09-2016 at 10:44 PM..

Old 04-12-2016, 12:51 PM

176 posts, read 175,003 times
No other US city outside of New York has more tower construction than Miami. The reason why there is so much tower construction in Miami is simply because there is a demand for it. Even if the majority were bought by foreign owners as investments, the condo buildings are far from empty. They are often rented to young professionals who want to work and play in downtown. The residential occupancy rate has risen steadily since the end of the last boom in 2007 and has hovered around 95% for the last few years. Since 2000 the downtown population has grown 150% to 85000. Such a large influx brings the vibrancy, amenities, and demographic that make the area more attractive to investors.

As for "walling up the coastline," I don't think New York, Chicago, and San Francisco are much different. The reality is the towers are increasingly being planned farther from the water. The Bay and the beaches are still as free and easily accessible as ever to all. The planned bay and river walks that accompany many of the the waterfront developments will only make them more so. I submit that more residents presently enjoy the visual beauty of Biscayne Bay from their tall towers than 30 years ago.

Old 04-19-2016, 01:32 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,244,428 times
Saw this all over the news today.
Downtown Los Angeles Economic Development | Civic Center

Old 04-19-2016, 01:51 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,452,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
It's good to hear. Would love to see more common amenities than high-end restaurants and bars. We were just remarking the other day about conventions like Anime Expo held downtown (though no longer), and how that general audience of younger folks doesn't necessarily want or can afford to wander about the area buying expensive cocktails. Of course, DTLA has a lot of different regions, but nightlife and dining establishments seem to be what's bringing most of the excitement. More residents means more "on-the-daily" rather than destination places to frequent.

Old 04-19-2016, 01:55 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,992,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
It's good to hear. Would love to see more common amenities than high-end restaurants and bars. We were just remarking the other day about conventions like Anime Expo held downtown (though no longer), and how that general audience of younger folks doesn't necessarily want or can afford to wander about the area buying expensive cocktails. Of course, DTLA has a lot of different regions, but nightlife and dining establishments seem to be what's bringing most of the excitement. More residents means more "on-the-daily" rather than destination places to frequent.
not all the bars & restaunts are high end though. Some parts yes, but there are still dives. Also, most of the places that are downtown cater towards a younger audience so I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:16 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,452,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
not all the bars & restaunts are high end though. Some parts yes, but there are still dives. Also, most of the places that are downtown cater towards a younger audience so I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that.
Near Staples where conventions would draw in young folks from out of the area I can only think of Hank's as a cheap dive, regardless of age. I don't have a problem hoofing it to other parts of downtown, but what else is college cheap nearby?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City