Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most like New York City?
Dallas 3 3.06%
Houston 8 8.16%
Phoenix 1 1.02%
Austin 0 0%
Atlanta 25 25.51%
Orlando 4 4.08%
Denver 1 1.02%
San Antonio 0 0%
Charlotte 1 1.02%
Seattle 55 56.12%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 09:49 AM

32,119 posts, read 34,767,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
seems like the best of the worst choices. More yuppie in the center, center is the most pedestrian friendly. And not being a southern city makes it less culturally different. Nowhere as diverse, of course, though metro-wide Seattle's diversity isn't as low as some imagine it to be.
I figured that was the case though Atlanta is also very yuppie in the center. It's also received more New Yorkers than any metro save Miami.

What's interesting is that Atlanta has always had a pretty sizeable Jewish population, but it was never that big (or so I thought). According to the Association of Religious Data archives, it now has a Jewish population of 260,300, which is almost as large as the Baltimore-Washington CSA (276,455) and the Philadelphia MSA (285,950).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 09:50 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,104,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Quiz: One of these things is not like the others. Can you find it?

Dallas
Houston
Phoenix
Austin
New York City
Atlanta
Orlando
Denver
San Antonio
Charlotte
Seattle
LOL! Best reply yet!

Old 01-06-2014, 09:54 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,822,405 times
We don't need other cities like New York. One is enough!

Old 01-06-2014, 09:58 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,104,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
You can't honestly say that a city like Atlanta doesn't share more characteristics with New York than a city like Austin. It's as simple as that. You vote for the city that you perceive to have more in common with NY than the others on the list. It's not rocket science.
This is the equivalent as asking the following:

Which of these vehicles is most like an F-22 Raptor:

M1 Abrams tank
Jeep Wrangler
Kawasaki Ninja 1100
USS Nimitz
The Hindenburg

And then griping that none of the above is the best reply.

Quote:
It's utterly sad that I'm repeatedly having to explain the difference between "similar" and "most similar" to a bunch of adults. But like every other City Data thread, none of you are able to put your biases (or lack of perception) aside in order to make an objective call.
Most of us stopped playing make-believe long before we reached puberty. To make a comparison between NYC and any of the other cities on the list is doing just that.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:13 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,535,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I figured that was the case though Atlanta is also very yuppie in the center. It's also received more New Yorkers than any metro save Miami.

What's interesting is that Atlanta has always had a pretty sizeable Jewish population, but it was never that big (or so I thought). According to the Association of Religious Data archives, it now has a Jewish population of 260,300, which is almost as large as the Baltimore-Washington CSA (276,455) and the Philadelphia MSA (285,950).
I've had a good bagel in Atlanta surprisingly at Goldberg's, not as good as New York bagels, but good... Plus they have matzo ball, split pea, knish, good lox, pastrami, etc.

Are Atlanta and Miami metros the two biggest metros with NY transplants? LA probably has a lot also, maybe not as much though.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:33 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,927,954 times
For the sake of choosing one of the choices, I would choose Houston. But again, this is only if I had to choose on of the answers; ideally, the answer should be none of the above.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:24 PM

32,119 posts, read 34,767,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Are Atlanta and Miami metros the two biggest metros with NY transplants? LA probably has a lot also, maybe not as much though.
Yeah, but Miami obviously destroys Atlanta when it comes to that. If there's any place that can legitimately claim it's now "northernized" as a consequence of Northern in-migration, it's South Florida.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:16 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,537,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
seems like the best of the worst choices. More yuppie in the center, center is the most pedestrian friendly. And not being a southern city makes it less culturally different. Nowhere as diverse, of course, though metro-wide Seattle's diversity isn't as low as some imagine it to be.
Seattle is also the only one of the choices that's a port city(Houston is too, but it's core doesn't feel built around a port like Seattle)--as well there's sort of an industrial feel at the south end of downtown and further south. Not really that much like New York at all overall, but it's a little closer in feel to an East Coast city at least in it's core in a very broad sense--a lot of older brick buildings and older apartments in between the newer dense infill in lower Queen Anne and Capitol Hill and the International District/Pioneer Square. Further out though in Seattle it's too semi-urban to suburban to be anything like New York(and far too mellow).

Though there's also the funny trivia fact that Seattle's original settlement at Alki Point was originally named "New York"(and then "New York Alki"). If Portland, Oregon had ended up being named Boston(which could've occured had the guy from Portland, Maine not won the coin toss to name the city in the 1850s) and Seattle ended up going with the name of New York rather than the newer settlement's name, the US could've ended up with a bizzaro world New York and Boston on the West Coast--complete with a similar Boston-New York sports rivalry. That would've just been weird though...

Alki Point, Seattle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Deezus; 01-06-2014 at 04:50 PM..

Old 01-06-2014, 04:21 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,535,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yeah, but Miami obviously destroys Atlanta when it comes to that. If there's any place that can legitimately claim it's now "northernized" as a consequence of Northern in-migration, it's South Florida.
Yeah, good you say South Florida... b/c it's not just Miami... it's the whole metro. Back to the Jewish thing, I know there is a heavy presence in Boca.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:02 PM

644 posts, read 1,431,878 times
I just went to Miami in December, for my 30th birthday....and I loved it. It definitely doesn't feel like the south at all!! The feel is very New York and so is the feel and attitudes of people....I loved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City