Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most like New York City?
Dallas 3 3.06%
Houston 8 8.16%
Phoenix 1 1.02%
Austin 0 0%
Atlanta 25 25.51%
Orlando 4 4.08%
Denver 1 1.02%
San Antonio 0 0%
Charlotte 1 1.02%
Seattle 55 56.12%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 03:19 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,344,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Which of these cities is most like San Antonio?

Paris
NYC
Hong Kong
Seoul
London
Tokyo
Shanghai
Sao Paolo
Moscow
Osaka

?

I'm thinking it might be Seoul, they both have different variations of BBQ, a Korean vs Texan showdown.
Well, there you have it. See, even you were able to find common ground between two cities that are far more different than New York is from any city on the poll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 03:21 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,996,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
"Why so serious?" Lol
The serious ones are those trying to get everyone else to answer. Not those who know that the actual answer is none of the above, and that's about it.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I comprehend. I'm just not going to waste my time thinking about an answer that still won't be even close to what NYC is like.
Yet you don't mind wasting your time posting here several times just to complain about the thread. Mature.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Yet you don't mind wasting your time posting here several times just to complain about the thread. Mature.
I'd think for way longer about the best possible answer than I do in the 10 seconds it takes for me to type. I'm a quick typer, and a quick reader.

What am I not quick at? Picking a random American city that's not LA, SF, or Chicago that is similar even remotely to NYC.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:28 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
Quote:
The serious ones are those trying to get everyone else to answer. Not those who know that the actual answer is none of the above, and that's about it.
Umm what? Most people are answering the question with an explanation if they choose to, I don't see anyone trying to get you or anyone else to answer. There are those on the thread that have chosen to answer the question w/o complaining and then there are those that seem genuinely pissed or annoyed by just the thought of the question. Now which group do you honestly think is taking this more serious and which one do you think you fall in?

Some of you take NYC was too seriously as if it was your child or something.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
I'd have to assume you knowledgeable or well-traveled then. Like I said earlier, it isn't rocket science.
I am both knowledgeable and well-traveled. I just think these cities aren't good match ups to NYC. I think the more well-traveled you are, the more you would know this and the less you'd want to answer this question honestly. The only American cities that are similar to NYC, but IMO aren't better, are LA, SF, and Chicago. Then there's Philly which is similar in look in many ways, but still not on the same level - even as those other 3 cities.

The poll lists a seemingly random bunch of cities and asks you to pick which one is MOST like New York. Why is none such a bad answer? Okay, so they all or mostly have tall buildings, some form of public transportation, some a decent sized population and some have urbanity that's good enough, but none of them come close to NYC. None of them are huge in entertainments, diversity, food, media, or any other cultural, or financial, aspect. None of them are nearly as popular as NYC minus Orlando - which is popular for theme parks. So what's the point? Again, which apple is most similar to this orange? They're all fruits. That's about it: all of those cities and New York are American cities.

Even things like weather/climate aren't similar to NYC. Seattle may come closest in that regard but their weather is much more mild. I doubt they're about to get a 6-12 inch snowstorm with a wind chill of -10 tomorrow, after having a truly brutal heat wave of 95 plus humidity for a week last July. Weather here varies to the extreme.

With the exception of Seattle and Denver, those are all Sunbelt cities which are known to be different from northern (especially Northeastern) cities in look, size, and urbanity.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Umm what? Most people are answering the question with an explanation if they choose to, I don't see anyone trying to get you or anyone else to answer. There are those on the thread that have chosen to answer the question w/o complaining and then there are those that seem genuinely pissed or annoyed by just the thought of the question. Now which group do you honestly think is taking this more serious and which one do you think you fall in?

Some of you take NYC was too seriously as if it was your child or something.
I really think that those taking it seriously are those trying to find an answer. I took one look at this question and instantly said "none". And I'm taking it too seriously? Now, all I'm trying to do is explain why I came to that conclusion of "none of the above" while people are telling me and others who came to that conclusion that we're not comprehending the question or that we are looking at it too hard.

I don't take NYC seriously at all. New York is what it is and no one can change it, no matter how many times they put their city up against it. I'll answer honestly each time, that no city in the US comes close to NYC. It's in a league of its own. I don't even like to debate it to be honest - it's exhausting.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:51 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
Quote:
I really think that those taking it seriously are those trying to find an answer. I took one look at this question and instantly said "none". And I'm taking it too seriously? Now, all I'm trying to do is explain why I came to that conclusion of "none of the above" while people are telling me and others who came to that conclusion that we're not comprehending the question or that we are looking at it too hard.

I don't take NYC seriously at all. New York is what it is and no one can change it, no matter how many times they put their city up against it. I'll answer honestly each time, that no city in the US comes close to NYC. It's in a league of its own. I don't even like to debate it to be honest - it's exhausting.
Well those actually answering the question don't seem to get upset the question was asked in the first place, which is why I don't think they're taking it as serious or seriously at all.

Ehh you kind of do IMO whether you see it or not.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Once again...

You say you comprehend, but it's clear you don't.
What's the difference between similar and most similar, though, really? That one has to be more similar than the rest? It's not always the case, and if it is it may not even be worth pointing out, and if someone doesn't believe it to be the case they don't have to answer. I see all of those as being similar to NYC in some way - but I see almost all cities like that.

Now you're just going on about semantics. 'Similar' vs 'most similar'. Who cares? Not me, because my answer is still none out of that list. It's a terrible list of cities (in comparison to NY, that is - those are all great cities in their own way btw). Give me a list that's actually worth comparing to New York and I will join the discussion with an answer.

Again: out of these apples, which is most similar (or similar) to this orange? Similar: they're all fruits. Most similar:… none. They're apples and oranges.

Which is more similar (or similar) to NYC? Similar: all of them in the most general, basic sense, and maybe even going a little more in depth for a few. Most similar:… none. They're medium or even small American cities that lack pretty much everything that makes NYC so great.

I'm done with this now. You don't have to agree, and you don't have to like it, either. But my honest answer is none no matter how you spin the words in the question.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
It's a terrible list of cities (in comparison to NY, that is - those are all great cities in their own way btw). Give me a list that's actually worth comparing to New York and I will join the discussion with an answer.

Again: out of these apples, which is most similar (or similar) to this orange? Similar: they're all fruits. Most similar:… none. They're apples and oranges.

Which is more similar (or similar) to NYC? Similar: all of them in the most general, basic sense, and maybe even going a little more in depth for a few. Most similar:… none. They're medium or even small American cities that lack pretty much everything that makes NYC so great.

I'm done with this now. You don't have to agree, and you don't have to like it, either. But my honest answer is none no matter how you spin the words in the question.
That is what makes the topic interesting, because you're being challenged to find the common ground amongst cities that really don't have a great deal in common with NYC. Maybe that challenge is too difficult for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City