Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 02:14 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,643,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
I get more questions on where I went to school and what I do from East Coasters than natives. I'll tell them and some answer "Oh, I like that!" as if I was trying to impress them. lol.
East Coast people definitely care more about where you went to school. I got asked all the time back east but here almost never. I chalk it up to the fact that California has traditionally had such a solid, well funded state university system...there's less need to go to a fancy private school than there is back east. A lot of that has changed with budget cuts though from what I understand. Its a shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 02:17 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
I lived in Hoboken, NJ for a few years. That place seems to be similar to the yuppie demographic you are describing. Super preppy and/or greasy Italian Workahaulics wearing ties to sports bars after work making cheap pick ups towards women and sticking within their own social groups. Hoboken and Arlington, VA probably go hand-in-hand with the types of east coast yuppie we are both discussing. The "What do you do?" thing is not just a DC or NY thing, it happens out here in LA all the time. It's bragging rights for people in the entertainment industry to plug whatever they are working on.

I don't miss 'wearing a tie' to work. Give me a polo shirt and jeans to work in LA instead.
Here on the East Coast, we call that Casual Fridays as you already know

Too bad it's only for a single day.....

I just finally learned how to tie a tie (Thank God for YouTube!!) and I am happy about that, but it would definitely be tiresome for me to go to work in a suit every single day except maybe Fridays and the weekend...And I usually don't mind suits sometimes. You guys on the West Coast should consider yourselves lucky!

Old 03-06-2014, 02:22 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,643,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Wait....aren't you from L.A.? Something isn't computing with that statement. Is there a less fake place on the planet? Pass the plastic surgery.
Board certified plastic surgeons per 100,000 residents

1. Salt Lake City - 4.89
2. Miami - 4.62
3. San Francisco - 3.88
4. Jacksonville - 3.79
5. Charlotte - 3.53
6. Austin - 3.49
7. Los Angeles - 3.42
8. Portland - 3.37
9. Tampa - 3.34
10. Birmingham - 3.19

Pageviews per 1,000 residents of plastic surgery related search terms

1. San Antonio - 82.99
2. Oklahoma City - 72.54
3. Austin - 71.57
4. San Diego - 67.69
5. San Francisco - 63.71
6. Miami - 63.39
7. Charlotte 62.09
8. Atlanta - 61.85
9. Dallas - 57.37
10. Los Angeles - 55.92

Source: San Antonio Tops List Of US Cities Most Interested In Plastic Surgery | Business Insider

I love stereotypes.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:28 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
How many non-board certified plastic surgeons are there? The surgeon who operated on Kanye's mother wasn't board certified.

Quote:
Finally, Adams is not board-certified in plastic surgery. Certification is not required to practice, but its absence "should be a red flag," Kulber says, because it can indicate "a problem in your training or education, something that's a serious deficiency."
Kanye's Tragic Loss: Death After Plastic Surgery - Death, Untimely Deaths, Plastic Surgery, Coping and Overcoming Illness, Kanye West : People.com

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
Board certified plastic surgeons per 100,000 residents

1. Salt Lake City - 4.89
2. Miami - 4.62
3. San Francisco - 3.88
4. Jacksonville - 3.79
5. Charlotte - 3.53
6. Austin - 3.49
7. Los Angeles - 3.42
8. Portland - 3.37
9. Tampa - 3.34
10. Birmingham - 3.19

Pageviews per 1,000 residents of plastic surgery related search terms

1. San Antonio - 82.99
2. Oklahoma City - 72.54
3. Austin - 71.57
4. San Diego - 67.69
5. San Francisco - 63.71
6. Miami - 63.39
7. Charlotte 62.09
8. Atlanta - 61.85
9. Dallas - 57.37
10. Los Angeles - 55.92

Source: San Antonio Tops List Of US Cities Most Interested In Plastic Surgery | Business Insider

I love stereotypes.
Kinda ironic that SF is higher than LA on both lists lol

2,098 posts, read 3,524,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Here on the East Coast, we call that Casual Fridays as you already know

Too bad it's only for a single day.....

I just finally learned how to tie a tie (Thank God for YouTube!!) and I am happy about that, but it would definitely be tiresome for me to go to work in a suit every single day except maybe Fridays and the weekend...And I usually don't mind suits sometimes. You guys on the West Coast should consider yourselves lucky!
Oh I do consider myself lucky! It's funny because I was at a user group recently in LA dressed in slacks, bazer, boat shoes, and button down (no tie.) Let's call it poor mans east coast business casual. Everyone at work commented how nice I looked. Then at the user group I was way overdressed and some senior manager at a competing company mentioned how business people in LA "never wear ties." Only maybe in finance and banking which is rare as is in LA. That's it. It's almost frowned upon out here if you wear a tie. You almost need an excuse to do it!

Old 03-06-2014, 02:30 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Wait....aren't you from L.A.? Something isn't computing with that statement. Is there a less fake place on the planet? Pass the plastic surgery.
Actually born in NJ. 25 years in DC. 10 in Seattle. I still have a place in DC I rent out.

But yes I think DC folks are a bit pretentious and materialistic. Way more than L.A. In LA its about staying young and looking good and that percentage is pretty small. But I still find the people in LA and Seattle much more down to earth. In DC its what degree, what job, where you live, what you drive etc. I'm not saying everybody is like that of course.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:32 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,524,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Actually born in NJ. 25 years in DC. 10 in Seattle. I still have a place in DC I rent out.

But yes I think DC folks are a bit pretentious and materialistic. Way more than L.A. In LA its about staying young and looking good and that percentage is pretty small. But I still find the people in LA and Seattle much more down to earth. In DC its what degree, what job, where you live, what you drive etc.
True that. I worked in NYC for 2.5 years. Supposedly those people are "more direct" but I never encountered more smoke and mirrors and lies in my life!

Old 03-06-2014, 02:35 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
But yes I think DC folks are a bit pretentious and materialistic. Way more than L.A. In LA its about staying young and looking good and that percentage is pretty small. But I still find the people in LA and Seattle much more down to earth. In DC its what degree, what job, where you live, what you drive etc.
Pretentious, yes. Materialistic, no. The type of person that's lured to DC is not as interested in money as they are in power. As Frank Underwood says in House of Cards...

"Money is the McMansion in Sarasota that starts falling apart after ten years, power is the old stone building that stands for centuries. I can not respect someone who does not see the difference."

Old 03-06-2014, 02:40 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:

But yes I think DC folks are a bit pretentious and materialistic. Way more than L.A. In LA its about staying young and looking good and that percentage is pretty small. But I still find the people in LA and Seattle much more down to earth. In DC its what degree, what job, where you live, what you drive etc. I'm not saying everybody is like that of course.
This is definitely not true in D.C. Who cares about car's here? Millionaires drive Prius here if they drive at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City