Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 03:09 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,397,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Actually born in NJ. 25 years in DC. 10 in Seattle. I still have a place in DC I rent out.

But yes I think DC folks are a bit pretentious and materialistic. Way more than L.A. In LA its about staying young and looking good and that percentage is pretty small. But I still find the people in LA and Seattle much more down to earth. In DC its what degree, what job, where you live, what you drive etc. I'm not saying everybody is like that of course.
We just hired someone at work who moved to the area from Atlanta and she said the exact same thing you're saying. I never knew it was that bad? Maybe I'm just used to it. Everyone or mostly everyone here works hard so it's nice to reward yourself with nice things sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 03:17 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,524,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
You probably did look nice, especially with the blazer (LOVE those!). And that is very interesting, especially since I'm taking a Professional Image class at my community college and we were talking about the different work environments and dress codes of different parts of the country and the world.

It is interesting how the serious and assertive personality of the East Coast (traditional, group-think in work environment) and the laid-back and carefree personality of the West Coast (progressive, individualistic in work environment) often translate in the distinctive dress codes of the two regions.
It's true. I think working in the east is more about conformity to office politics than it is innovation. That's why the mass exodus to the Silicon Valley started in the 1950s. Corporate free thinkers wanted to escape the vertical landscape where an individual stays at his organziation for his whole life. I think once you are outside BOS, DC, NYC, CHI the look and feel of companies change a lot. People want to grow by bouncing around at different companies to gain experience as well as finding their niche.

To the poster who said there is direct correlation between business clothing and getting work done doesn't know what he's talking about.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:18 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
We just hired someone at work who moved to the area from Atlanta and she said the exact same thing you're saying. I never knew it was that bad? Maybe I'm just used to it. Everyone or mostly everyone here works hard so it's nice to reward yourself with nice things sometimes.
I've never noticed much ostentatiousness. What I have noticed is a disproportionate number of Aspies. I once made the mistake of broaching the subject of water with a girl (cute) who had apparently been studying water for her entire life, eventually culminating in a doctorate in hyrdology. Man, this girl kicked my ass on everything related to water. Bottled water, vitamin water, run off water, holy water, you name it. She was to water what Bubba was to the shrimpin' business.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:50 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,209,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
It's true. I think working in the east is more about conformity to office politics than it is innovation. That's why the mass exodus to the Silicon Valley started in the 1950s. Corporate free thinkers wanted to escape the vertical landscape where an individual stays at his organziation for his whole life. I think once you are outside BOS, DC, NYC, CHI the look and feel of companies change a lot. People want to grow by bouncing around at different companies to gain experience as well as finding their niche.

To the poster who said there is direct correlation between business clothing and getting work done doesn't know what he's talking about.
Yeah, I don't even recall Steve Jobs wearing any suits, especially when he did the latest and major announcements before a large audience. I always remembered him wearing causal attire like a tucked-in button-down shirt and some jeans.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:34 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
This is definitely not true in D.C. Who cares about car's here? Millionaires drive Prius here if they drive at all.
Do not pretend that people in DC don't care about cars or don't drive. Everybody I know in DC drives a nice car especially african american professionals. Come on now. Last time I was there a friend picked me up and we met at another friends house and off to Blues Alley we went. Nice Audi A6 she has.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:41 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,513,685 times
People in DC are pretty obsessed with material things, I know this because I live here. Some people think it is a big deal, but I don't think it's a big deal. People here are very into clothing, not cars IMO.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:24 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Do not pretend that people in DC don't care about cars or don't drive. Everybody I know in DC drives a nice car especially african american professionals. Come on now. Last time I was there a friend picked me up and we met at another friends house and off to Blues Alley we went. Nice Audi A6 she has.

I didn't say nobody drives. People drive in NYC too. I guess it depends where you live in D.C. too. Places outside the core of the city north of Columbia Heights, west of Rock Creek Park, and south of the Anacostia river do have high car usage. Why anybody would want to live there is the real question I guess. You might as well live in the suburbs. Different strokes for different folks. If you don't have to park your car in an underground garage, it's not urban enough for me. Personal preference though. That's why we have option's though I guess.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:39 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
so you don't like street parking?

Old 03-07-2014, 10:15 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Why do people always resort to the "everybody I know" statements as if that means something? I could say "everybody I know in Atlanta is Black," which is true, but it really doesn't mean anything. If 39 percent of all households in the District of Columbia don't even own an automobile, then that means you clearly don't know enough people.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:16 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
so you don't like street parking?
It's ok, however, I would prefer grade separated bus/streetcar lanes and bike lanes which don't leave room for street parking except on side streets which is fine. My point was mainly, I prefer an area that is built up so much that you have no choice but to provide underground street parking. It's kind of assumed if you have no choice but to build underground parking, the area will be built up. That's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City