Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state do you prefer?
Ohio 44 48.89%
Georgia 38 42.22%
Neither 8 8.89%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 07:54 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,861,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
This poll is rigged. Somehow Ohio is winning, yet NO ONE is commenting as to why Ohio is better than Georgia. Its as though some sad Ohioians are coming into this poll, voting for Ohio, and then running away because they know Ohio doesn't offer what Georgia offers.

You people voting for Ohio should at least provide some substance for your vote.
I would say the issue lies more with the fact that a lot of Ohioans cannot relate to the current discussion. Toledo mountains (now there's a joke!) endless discussion about a piece of granite, and racism.... I have better things to do with my life.

The only reason why I am responding now is because I am really dreading what I have to get done today/tomorrow for Monday. Otherwise I wouldn't be here. This section of the forum and those who post in it in general are a joke.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:01 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,787,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acmilan View Post
I find this hard to believe.First of all your example of comparing percentages between blacks in Ohio and Georgia doesn't make sense. It would make sense if both states had same percentages black population,but they don't. Using your statistics for example you can compare Georgia and Maryland: both states are around 30% black and using your stats you can conclude that blacks are more prosperous in Maryland( as are other minorities) and then you can say Georgia is segregated third-world country compared to Maryland and that would be correct . But Ohio is only like 12% black . There are about
1.4 million blacks in Ohio, Georgia has like double that number. So if you look at the actual numbers there are 990 000 poor blacks in Georgia vs 560 000 in Ohio using the stats you provided yourself.
Also don't forget minimum wage is higher in Ohio - $7.95 vs $5.15 that's almost three dollars per hour more in Ohio. Also I believe Ohio spends more per capita on social services than Georgia. I can attest as a person of low income that our family's benefits in Ohio were pretty much on par with benefits in Maryland ( which is known as a "welfare" state on these forums) so that's another thing to consider. I believe Ohio does more for its poor residents than Georgia. In short I'd rather be poor in Ohio than Georgia.
Also I can't comment on Cincinnati and Cleveland, but I can assure you there are many successful and educated blacks in the Columbus metro area.
And as far as racism and xenophobia goes I've lived for a year in Columbus metro and never experienced any hostility and felt welcome, while I always experience problems traveling through Georgia( basically everybody down there thought I'm illegal Mexican ). Georgia outside Atlanta is very much American born whites and blacks, while Ohio has more diversity spread throughout the state.
I agree actually.Southern states do a horrible job of assisting its poor.
If I were poor I'd rather be anywhere but Georgia and any Southern state.

This might have something to do with the slightly higher poverty rate.

But you got it wrong about the percentage of poor blacks.The total number has nothing to do with the percentage of poor blacks in each state.
thats why its called PERCENTAGES!You take the number from each state that are poor and insteaad using total amounts,you use the amount divided by the totals in each state.Has nothing to do with how many blacks in each state.

There are successful blacks everywhere.Never said there was not ,but the facts show there are more black millionaires and people of color are wealthier and more educated.

"Everybody" thought you were and "illegal Mexican".?Really?

Diversity is severly overated.Especially when your state is more segregated.What good is diversity if you have a "Little Poland",Little Italy,Little whatever.?

And Georgia is a big state that is not a traditional industrialized state where industry has fueled the growth of immagrants to fill jobs like Ohio in the past has.So diversity does lack.

However ,Georgia is growing in diversity and most people even of they don't understand cultures different from themselves,will give you the benefit of the doubt if can assimilate into society well.

This is not 1950.Georgia is a welcoming state.You acting like its not is ridiculous.Especially when so many people are moving here.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:03 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,861,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Im not saying Ohio is bad or anything but why are so many people leaving if it so great?
Ohio's cities are losing people left and right.

If having real cities means less urban sprawl at the expense of loosing people is somehow better,then enjoy it.There is something wrong if people don't want to be there.
Cincinatti and Cleveland have been loosing population for the last 4 to 5 decades.Double digits.
Columbus is an exception.
Let's not even talk about Akron,Dayton,Toledo etc.

There are so many people I know from Ohio in Georgia its just insane.
Rarely do I hear anybody wanting to go back.

I admit there are some great institutions in Ohio that rival the best in the Northeast.No argument from there.

Yes Ohio used to be the state of tolerance because of its Quaker .It is a history to be proud of.
However the cities in Ohio are the most segregated cities in the country.

As far as GA only having Emory and Georgia Tech is just not quite true either.

UGA actually ranks quite high and is the oldest Land Grant University in America.
Spelman College ranks as one of top liberal arts schools in the country.
Mercer University,Convent College,and Berry are good ranked liberal arts and regional colleges.

Wesleyan College is the oldest college for women in the world.The oldest women sororities were founded there.
Among its famous alumnae are Madame Chiang Kai-Shek (Soong May-ling) and her two sisters, three of the most influential women in modern Chinese history.

Im African American.I come from a long line of Georgians going back many generations.
Yes Georgia has an infamous past.Notice I said PAST.

Something people claim Southerns live in but it so ironic that those who are from outside the region are the first to bring it up.
Sounds like insecurity more than anything.

Ignoring the fact that the millions of blacks that have moved back South.Apparently they just don't care about the past.They care about NOW and the future.
Things must be better in the South for them to come back and droves.
That is just fact that many cities up North or LOOSING there black populations.

Georgia had the nations first black Female Chief State Supreme court Justice .This was over 10 years ago.Well before Ohio got a female Justice.
As well as two other black justices sitting on the bench at the same time.

Also a former Black state attorney General and Labor Commissioner.Both state wide elected positions.Georgia is only less than 35% black.

So stop this nonsense.The South has come longer in a short amount of time and blacks are thriving in Georgia.
Blacks are more educated and wealthier in Georgia than Ohio by a long shot.
The poverty rate for blacks in GA is 33% vs 40% for Ohio.
Poverty Rate by Race/Ethnicity | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

Now obviously you have not much experience with Georgia or you would have known that we have colonial cities like Savannah and Brunswick .We also have beautiful beaches and small coastal towns like St.Marys.
Mountain getways with waterfalls and beautiful hiking trails etc.

So yes Ohio has some great things about it but next time you want to make broad negative assumptions by generalizing about what you think(but don't really know)about Georgia,just don't.It makes you look bad.
Congrats that it probably took you an hour to type this post up. Want me to tell you, simply, why Georgia is growing?

Because they buy companies with incentives. And since Gov. Kasich has come into office, his administration has been doing the same with JobsOhio. And the program has been wildly successful at getting new jobs - but it's also very expensive.

All the tax revenue going into JobsOhio (like the $200 mil incentive package to land the Sears HQ that fortunately never materialized, $50 mil to keep American Greetings, etc) is not going into our schools. Or our roads. Or other infrastructure (like mass transit or pedestrian areas), caring for our poorest citizens or wild areas, historic preservation, etc. is not happening instead.

Want some proof? Take a look at any subdivision built in the Atlanta area in 1985. Take some pictures and post them here. Then come to Ohio and post some pictures from a subdivision built there in 1985 (your pick of which city you choose). Include shots of the landscaping, roads, sidewalks, storm drains, etc.

That's the difference.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:19 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,694,636 times
Good grief Acmilan!
I can't believe how badly you butchered & misinterpreted the poverty stats that afonega1 supplied through the link he gave here earlier. It wasn't as if they weren't from a legitimate source or that he made them up.
Additionally, why did you start this thread while already having such extremely strong opinions that got more obvious as the thread continued? It would appear that you weren't willing to learn anything from differing opinions.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
Congrats that it probably took you an hour to type this post up. Want me to tell you, simply, why Georgia is growing?

Because they buy companies with incentives. And since Gov. Kasich has come into office, his administration has been doing the same with JobsOhio. And the program has been wildly successful at getting new jobs - but it's also very expensive.

All the tax revenue going into JobsOhio (like the $200 mil incentive package to land the Sears HQ that fortunately never materialized, $50 mil to keep American Greetings, etc) is not going into our schools. Or our roads. Or other infrastructure (like mass transit or pedestrian areas), caring for our poorest citizens or wild areas, historic preservation, etc. is not happening instead.

Want some proof? Take a look at any subdivision built in the Atlanta area in 1985. Take some pictures and post them here. Then come to Ohio and post some pictures from a subdivision built there in 1985 (your pick of which city you choose). Include shots of the landscaping, roads, sidewalks, storm drains, etc.

That's the difference.
LOL.You are really grasping.
If you think Im about to start posting pictires of subdivision with landscaping,roads and sidewalks etc,you have lost your mind.You do it.
I do know that Georgia's infrastructure is ranked higher than Ohio's overall.

Dude.Read what you just wrote.You guys spent money to KEEP a company you already had.
And others millions to get one you failed at getting that is on the brink of going under!(Sears)

Ohio is doing all it can just to keep whatever business it has from leaving while Georhia is creating its home grown industries as well as attracting others from elsewhere.

We have Georgia Tech Reserch Corporation which is an incubator for high tech job growth.
We also have the FASTEST growing port in the U.S. in Savannah.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
Yeah, I stand by my original post. No unions, low taxes, subsidies from your States/Local Governments and a rather low COL is what attracts companies to the South.

No point in arguing about it, that's what it is. Aside from your homegrown companies of course.

I guess you can thank states like Ohio for all of those skilled, educated workers . Georgia's massive growth obviously isn't from the natives reproducing like rabbits.
Im not arguing about anything.Im simply trying to explain to you that despite your misbelief,there are other factors than simply "low taxes and COL.

That can be found in many places but they don't have the growth GA is experiencing.

The fact that those states are not growing shows that its not just those things you mention but you just don't wish to acknowledge that because of your own prejudices against the South.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:46 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,029,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Good grief Acmilan!
I can't believe how badly you butchered & misinterpreted the poverty stats that afonega1 supplied through the link he gave here earlier. It wasn't as if they weren't from a legitimate source or that he made them up.
Additionally, why did you start this thread while already having such extremely strong opinions that got more obvious as the thread continued? It would appear that you weren't willing to learn anything from differing opinions.
Many people on this site start threads with an agenda in mind. If you support an opinion other than theirs it's a duel to the death.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:52 AM

320 posts, read 578,145 times
Wow.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:40 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,434,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acmilan View Post
I find this hard to believe.First of all your example of comparing percentages between blacks in Ohio and Georgia doesn't make sense. It would make sense if both states had same percentages black population,but they don't. Using your statistics for example you can compare Georgia and Maryland: both states are around 30% black and using your stats you can conclude that blacks are more prosperous in Maryland( as are other minorities) and then you can say Georgia is segregated third-world country compared to Maryland and that would be correct . But Ohio is only like 12% black . There are about
1.4 million blacks in Ohio, Georgia has like double that number. So if you look at the actual numbers there are 990 000 poor blacks in Georgia vs 560 000 in Ohio using the stats you provided yourself.
Also don't forget minimum wage is higher in Ohio - $7.95 vs $5.15 that's almost three dollars per hour more in Ohio. Also I believe Ohio spends more per capita on social services than Georgia. I can attest as a person of low income that our family's benefits in Ohio were pretty much on par with benefits in Maryland ( which is known as a "welfare" state on these forums) so that's another thing to consider. I believe Ohio does more for its poor residents than Georgia. In short I'd rather be poor in Ohio than Georgia.
Also I can't comment on Cincinnati and Cleveland, but I can assure you there are many successful and educated blacks in the Columbus metro area.
And as far as racism and xenophobia goes I've lived for a year in Columbus metro and never experienced any hostility and felt welcome, while I always experience problems traveling through Georgia( basically everybody down there thought I'm illegal Mexican ). Georgia outside Atlanta is very much American born whites and blacks, while Ohio has more diversity spread throughout the state.
This is just flat out wrong. The Hispanic population in South Ga. (where I grew up) has exploded in the past 20 years.

The county I grew up in South Ga about a 3 hr drive from Atlanta is 58% White, 22.3% Black, 17.1% Hispanic. (And that's just the official count. Actually I believe the true percentages for Hispanics there is much higher.)

I see far more Hispanics in Georgia than I saw when I lived in Ohio and even my cousin from Toledo was amazed by the amount of Hispanics he saw when he visited in South Ga.

I would even say I see a lot more Hispanics in rural South Georgia (percentage wise) than I see in Metro Atlanta. Definitely.

When you leave the large cities in Ohio On the other hand it becomes very White.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:23 PM

133 posts, read 384,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
This is just flat out wrong. The Hispanic population in South Ga. (where I grew up) has exploded in the past 20 years.

The county I grew up in South Ga about a 3 hr drive from Atlanta is 58% White, 22.3% Black, 17.1% Hispanic. (And that's just the official count. Actually I believe the true percentages for Hispanics there is much higher.)

I see far more Hispanics in Georgia than I saw when I lived in Ohio and even my cousin from Toledo was amazed by the amount of Hispanics he saw when he visited in South Ga.

I would even say I see a lot more Hispanics in rural South Georgia (percentage wise) than I see in Metro Atlanta. Definitely.

When you leave the large cities in Ohio On the other hand it becomes very White.
Ok could very well be the case, I'm just speaking from my personal experience. Actually in my first post on this thread I said Georgia is more diverse with more Hispanics and Asians than Ohio look it up it's the very first post in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City