Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you prefer overall?
Montreal, QC 63 57.27%
Los Angeles, CA 47 42.73%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 04:50 PM

273 posts, read 322,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Nope.

We already had the shopping discussion in the Montreal vs SF thread:
Wrong. The thread is Montreal vs L.A., not Montreal vs SF.

Quote:
And so, if SF destroys Montreal as far as high end shopping boutiques, then IMAGINE THE BEAT DOWN LA(the top shopping city in the Americas after NYC) lays on Montreal as far as shopping.
Wrong. Number of "high end shopping boutiques" that you cherry-picked does not mean better shopping. It just means that you cherry-picked a bunch of chains to suit your narrative. You still haven't proven that L.A. has better shopping than Montreal. And no, hand-picking certain chain stores and counting the number of locations of each does not mean better shopping. You fail good sir.

Quote:
It would have been better for you to just ignore my 'drivel' because I don't say anything I can't back up with facts, hun.
You haven't backed up "with facts" your claim that L.A. has better shopping than Montreal. You posted the number of locations of certain chain stores in S.F. vs. Montreal. That has nothing to do with L.A. On top of that, the number of locations of chain stores has nothing to do with which city has better shopping. Despite your claim that it does.

Quote:
Furthermore, Los Angeles is one the world capitals of the rich and elite, and that demographic demands the best of everything, from shopping to dining to hotels to the best night venues, etc.
And by "rich and elite" you mean illegal Mexican immigrants.

Old 06-08-2014, 05:12 PM

Here's a fun fact for you California homers. Every major survey ranking the World's Most Livable Cities in the last 10 years (Monocle, Economist Intelligence Unit, Mercer Consulting, etc.) has ranked Montreal above Los Angeles.

California dreaming? More like California nightmare.

And dimond park is down for the count! TKO!!!!!!

Old 06-08-2014, 05:14 PM

I'm still waiting for Montclair to prove that L.A. is better for upwardly mobile than Montreal. Or that it has better shopping (not that SF has more chain stores than Montreal). Or any of his many silly claims. He has proven nothing. Just false bravado.

Old 06-08-2014, 05:24 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownDenizen View Post
I'm still waiting for Montclair to prove that L.A. is better for upwardly mobile than Montreal. Or that it has better shopping (not that SF has more chain stores than Montreal). Or any of his many silly claims. He has proven nothing. Just false bravado.
Darling, it's you that haven't posted ANYTHING but deer-in-headlights, shell-shocked, incoherent gibberish.

Los Angeles has one of the most upwardly mobile populations in the United States.
http://obs.rc.fas.harvard.edu/chetty/mobility_geo.pdf

As far as Montreal, I found this sobering story:
Canada Income Inequality: Montreal's Poor Fall Further Behind As Industrial Jobs Disappear

Old 06-08-2014, 05:30 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Quote:
Darling, it's you that haven't posted ANYTHING but deer-in-headlights, shell-shocked, incoherent gibberish.

Los Angeles has one of the most upwardly mobile populations in the United States.

As far as Montreal, I found this sobering story:
Canada Income Inequality: Montreal's Poor Fall Further Behind As Industrial Jobs Disappear
Inside a Filthy, Hazardous Hollywood Slum | Los Angeles | Slideshows | Los Angeles News and Events | LA Weekly

Articles about Slums - Los Angeles Times

Old 06-08-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Darling, it's you that haven't posted NOTHING but deer-in-headlights, shell-shocked, incoherent gibberish.
No. It's you who claimed LA has better shopping than Montreal. You stated this as fact, not opinion. If it's fact, you should have no problem providing proof. If you cannot provide proof, people will call you out as a liar.

Quote:
That's great, but as with all of your links, has nothing to do with this discussion. This discussion is not L.A. vs. other American cities.

ROFLOL! You post a story about income inequality? Really? You know that the United States has FAR worse income inequality than Canada, right? The USA has a gini coefficient around 45. Canada has a gini coefficient around 33. It's not even in the same ballpark.

Are you really suggesting that Montreal has worse income inequality than LA? LOLOLOL!

Old 06-08-2014, 05:36 PM

So as I was saying and unsurprisingly received NO response:
Quote:
Here are some things I just L-O-V-E...

Los Angeles has one of the world's most highly regarded symphonies. Montreal doesn't.
World's Best 20 Symphony Orchestras (1-10)

Los Angeles actually appears twice in this ranking of the world's most visited museums-Montreal doesn't appear at all.
List of most visited art museums in the world - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Academic Ranking of World Universities, 2013 based on this near flawless methodology:

Academic Ranking of World Universities - 2013| Top 500 universities | Shanghai Ranking - 2013 | World University Ranking - 2013

Los Angeles: 4 of the Top 100
6 Cal Tech
12 UCLA
45 UC Irvine
47 USC

Montreal: 1 of the Top 100
58 McGill
I'll add to that this very interesting article:
U.S. jobs picture better than Canada's for past 12 months - Business - CBC News

Los Angeles is also creating jobs at a much healthier rate than Montreal.

Last edited by JMT; 06-08-2014 at 09:35 PM..

Old 06-08-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Los Angeles is also creating jobs at a much healthier rate than Montreal.
link?

Canada's economy has been better than America's since about 2008. The unemployment rate has been better too.

It's good to see you guys are finally digging yourselves out of the ditch though. It will be a long, painful road.

Old 06-08-2014, 05:41 PM

OH NO. I am SOOOOO Sorry MTL people.

Unemployment Rate:
Montreal Metro Area 8.3%
Los Angeles Metro Area 7.0%

Labour force characteristics, unadjusted, by census metropolitan area (3 month moving average) (Sherbrooke (Que.), Trois-Rivières (Que.), Montréal (Que.))
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, CA Economy at a Glance

Old 06-08-2014, 05:42 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Quote:
So as I was saying and unsurprisingly received NO response:

I'll add to that this very interesting article:
U.S. jobs picture better than Canada's for past 12 months - Business - CBC News

Los Angeles is also creating jobs at a much healthier rate than Montreal. And it's not just LA vs Montreal, right now the US is really on fire:
Los Angeles is a bigger city so of course it's going to have more museum visits…it is not a sign of quality, although LA has great museums. Montreal has some great ones as well.

Did you actually read more than the headline of the CBC story you posted? It also says this

"Even though it may not look like it in the monthly jobs reports, Americans still should be envious of Canada's labour market, he says, and some still are.

The New York Times is not buying the world jobs leader boast. A column on Friday was titled, "Good News on Jobs. Why Aren't We Happier?"

8.7M jobs lost in U.S. recession

The upshot is that it took 6½ years from the start of the recession for the U.S. to win back the 8.7 million jobs it lost during it.

By comparison Canada recovered all the 430,000 or so jobs lost during the 2008-09 slump in early 2011, and since has added 600,000 or so more.

Because of population growth, each country has more people to employ than in 2008.

CIBC deputy chief economist Benjamin Tal says that the comparison by this measure is in Canada's favour.

"Remember, they are starting from an extremely low base. So I don't think we should envy them," Tal says. "We didn't see the same decline in employment they saw. . . . They have much more capacity to grow and much more pent-up capacity."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City