Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you prefer overall?
Montreal, QC 63 57.27%
Los Angeles, CA 47 42.73%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 02:07 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,718,787 times

Advertisements

It is not a fair game. LA is several times of Montreal's size. Not even the same league.

Montreal should be compared with Philadephia and alike.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:16 PM

Considering it is a US forum and more people choose Montreal answering "where do you prefer to live", I have to say Montreal wins not because people like it or not even know about it, but because of sheer resentment of Los Angeles. Spend one winter in Montreal and come back tell me you prefer Montreal over LA. Don't forget Montreal's sales tax is 13.5% and income tax way higher than California, or probably anywhere in the US.

I think LA only needs a better transit system to be the best city to live in the US (provided one likes to live in big cities, not small cities/towns/countryside, that will be a completely different issue).

Why people hold such negative views against LA is beyond me.

Last edited by JMT; 06-06-2014 at 10:20 PM.. Reason: Please just keep this thread about L.A. and Montreal.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:37 PM

1,312 posts, read 2,168,220 times
^ I prefer Montreal to LA, and I have no "sheer resentment" for LA at all. I just think its culture and vibe are more to my liking. The French presense in Montreal makes it quite unique in North America, and there's a high level of support for the arts for the love of art that gets muddied up in an entertainment capital like LA. And I'm not a fan of year-round heat and sunshine, I prefer seasons. Some of you need to understand that people have different tastes and just because they disagree with you, it doesn't mean they are "pretending" to disagree with you. Montreal is one of my top 5 cities on the continent, numerous friends have settled in Montreal from Wisconsin because they love it so much, gotten married, jobs they like, etc. I loved it on every visit as well.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
^ I prefer Montreal to LA, and I have no "sheer resentment" for LA at all. I just think its culture and vibe are more to my liking. The French presense in Montreal makes it quite unique in North America, and there's a high level of support for the arts for the love of art that gets muddied up in an entertainment capital like LA. And I'm not a fan of year-round heat and sunshine, I prefer seasons. Some of you need to understand that people have different tastes and just because they disagree with you, it doesn't mean they are "pretending" to disagree with you. Montreal is one of my top 5 cities on the continent, numerous friends have settled in Montreal from Wisconsin because they love it so much, gotten married, jobs they like, etc. I loved it on every visit as well.
I like Montreal too. A very charming city indeed. I have even thought about moving there. However, there are many concerns

economy is bad in Quebec in general. Jobs are hard to find and salary is low even by Canadian standard. Even in Toronto, an annual income of 100K is considered very high, and Montreal is probably 20% lower than Toronto.

high taxes. Don't know if you would like that on top of lower income. Housing price is low only by Canadian city standards.

Simply can't deal with the winter. Toronto is bearly bearable (similar to Chicago's temperature plus Boston's snow), Montreal is snowy and cold on a whole different level.

It is largely bilingual but without speaking French somewhat fluently, it is still hard. It is like only speaking Spanish in LA.

LA on the other hand, is a pretty all-around city. Except for the huge sprawl and car dependence, there is not much I particularly dislike about it. Plus, transit is rapidly improving. LA actually has a larger subway/LRT system than Montreal.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:01 PM

118 posts, read 160,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
Every category but weather? What about 'Economy', for starters?
Poverty Rate

Los Angeles 27%
Montreal : 17%

Wage Per Job

Montreal: $63,790
Los Angeles: $50,441

Unemployment Rate

Montreal: 8%
Los Angels: 8.3%

Old 06-06-2014, 03:18 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,410,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis XVI View Post
Poverty Rate

Los Angeles 27%

Wage Per Job

Unemployment Rate

Is this a city vs city comparison? MSA?

The U3 rate for the Los Angeles MSA is currently 7%. None of the five counties in Greater Los Angeles report an medium income under than $54,000, per the census. The poverty rate is much lower than 27%, closer to 15%. Are you using the supplemental poverty measure for Los Angeles and comparing it to Montreal's regular measurement?

Old 06-06-2014, 03:18 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,863,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Considering it is a US forum and more people choose Montreal answering "where do you prefer to live", I have to say Montreal wins not because people like it or not even know about it, but because of sheer resentment of Los Angeles. Spend one winter in Montreal and come back tell me you prefer Montreal over LA. Don't forget Montreal's sales tax is 13.5% and income tax way higher than California, or probably anywhere in the US.
Yup. Think Buffalo is too snowy? Montreal is much snowier and would be the snowiest major city in the US. Like Minnesota temperatures? Then Montreal will be right up your alley. So you can count on the summer being a bit cooler than Minneapolis and still get double the snow and those same lovely bone-chilling temperatures. 7 months of winter can get to you. This coming from one who enjoys a bit of snow.

I hope nobody voting for Montreal is anyone who thinks that the LA government is too corrupt or inefficient. In Montreal it is widely acknowledged that the Mafia has a strong hand in government. Officials are notoriously corrupt and are regularly caught taking bribes and associating with the mob. Just look at the last few mayors. Tremblay resigned around 2012 when his mob connections were uncovered. Then the next guy coming in, Applebaum, saw his term cut short when he was arrested for fraud and racketeering and a bunch of other charges. So if you like kicking up to the Mafia, MTL is right up your alley.

And if you plan on living that US standard of living in MTL, fughettaboutit! Canada is not the US and you will have to make significant sacrifices. And its not the 'sacrifice' where you pay a bit more to live near a palm-lined beach. I'm talking about spending the same to maintain yourself in a harsh climate where you get a lot less bang out of your buck. I am assuming you have already mastered Quebecois French, because of course you need that to have reasonable prospects for a job and have bucks to get a bang out of in the first place. Even then, jobs are fewer and far between, even if your name happens to be Jacques Bouchard or Michel Gagnon and you are effectively bilingual. Be careful with how much gas you pump because those gas prices you like to complain about are like the stuff away in MTL.

I enjoyed living in MTL, but compared to LA its not even a fair competition. Philly vs. Montreal would be much more fair. Yes, we like to hate on LA but are you familiar with Montreal? Talk to some of those Quebecois and guess where so many of them constantly express they wish they could live? LA!

Old 06-06-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Poverty Rate

Los Angeles 27%

Wage Per Job

Unemployment Rate

No way that is accurate.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:26 PM

118 posts, read 160,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Is this a city vs city comparison? MSA?

The U3 rate for the Los Angeles MSA is currently 7%. None of the five counties in Greater Los Angeles report an medium income under than $54,000, per the census. The poverty rate is much lower than 27%, closer to 15%. Are you using the supplemental poverty measure for Los Angeles and comparing it to Montreal's regular measurement?
I couldn't find the stats for Los Angeles city so I did Los Angeles County.

And I would much rather live in Los Angeles, btw. I think it's a far better city. Wasn't trying to trash LA but I don't see how LA's economy is any better than the economy in Montreal for the average person. These days, the middle-class in Canada is generally better off than middle-class in America.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
And I would much rather live in Los Angeles, btw. It's a far better city, IMO. Wasn't trying to diss LA but I don't see how LA's economy is any better than the economy in Montreal for the average person.
The job market is abysmal by American standards. A situation that would make a Californian feel like there are no jobs is the run of the mill situation in Quebec. Everything is more expensive in Quebec. Whatever you paid for that car or that computer or (insert goods) it is more there for no good reason. What you consider a rip off is what a Canadian routinely pays for pretty much everything. Im talking about 30%-50% more expensive is to be expected. So that 60k (or whatever income) in LA looks alot better when things are 30% cheaper. This is why when you go to shopping centers near the Canadian border in Washington, New York. Vermont, or wherever else, it is often filled with Canadians stocking up on things for the lower American prices.

Basically all the economic stuff that Americans complain about is worse in Canada, with the exception of particular instances. The standard of living is hands down better in California. Californians (and Americans) easily have more money in their pockets to spend on what they wish.

Quote:
These days, the middle-class in Canada is generally better off than middle-class in America.
On paper the Canadian middle class is the richest in the world right now. On paper. Housing prices are grossly inflated. This means that a regular home in rural northern Montana is going to be worth much less than an equally rural home across the border in Alberta. The homes can be exactly the same in all their offerings but the owner of the home in Alberta will be 'richer' from their inflated housing prices. Add on to this the fact that everything is much more expensive and your richer Canadian middle class walks away feeling poorer. Canada is sitting on one of the worlds greatest a housing bubbles and wages unfortunately have not kept up with prices.

Last edited by hobbesdj; 06-06-2014 at 03:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City