Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city do you prefer overall?
Montreal, QC 63 57.27%
Los Angeles, CA 47 42.73%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 08:01 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,717,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I was going to say that people in Montreal can take that hour or so trip to Plattsburgh NY to shop for many things. People from Ottawa and Kingston burn up the I-81 corridor to places like Watertown or Syracuse for much of their shopping. So, there are ways to go around the higher Canadian prices.
that's not a good argument to say Canadian cities are not that expensive. You can't possible buy most of your daily necessities in the US. Out of tooth paste, peanut butter and toilet paper, let's drive to the US? That would be silly. Most shopping in the US is restricted to clothing. Plus, there is a daily maximum for cross border shopping.

Plus, for most people in the GTA (about 20% of Canadian population), it is simply too far. Driving to Buffalo takes at least 2.5 hours. Who would have the time to do that on a regular basis, plus the gas might cancel much of the savings. Ask any Canadians how often they actually shop in the US, most likely once or twice a year, and the amount is probably less than $1000 in total. Calgary and Edmonton are even farther.

To use the possibility to shop in the US as an argument that cost of living in Canada is not that low is not that convincing.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:15 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
There's median family income, which includes households of at least two. I've seen median income reported more on the census, the census also shows breakdowns by income brackets.
Here's some info for LA County: Los Angeles County, CA Income and Careers

Orange County: Orange County, CA Income and Careers

Old 06-07-2014, 08:24 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
that's not a good argument to say Canadian cities are not that expensive. You can't possible buy most of your daily necessities in the US. Out of tooth paste, peanut butter and toilet paper, let's drive to the US? That would be silly. Most shopping in the US is restricted to clothing. Plus, there is a daily maximum for cross border shopping.

Plus, for most people in the GTA (about 20% of Canadian population), it is simply too far. Driving to Buffalo takes at least 2.5 hours. Who would have the time to do that on a regular basis, plus the gas might cancel much of the savings. Ask any Canadians how often they actually shop in the US, most likely once or twice a year, and the amount is probably less than $1000 in total. Calgary and Edmonton are even farther.

To use the possibility to shop in the US as an argument that cost of living in Canada is not that low is not that convincing.
I didn't say all items or that Canadian cities weren't expensive, but it is not uncommon for Canadians to buy clothes and stock up on other items while here in the states.

Also, depending on where you live in Canada, I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few shop in the states at least once a month, if not once a week. Toronto to Buffalo is about 2 hours and Niagara Falls is a little less. A lot of Ottawa and Kingston folks come to Syracuse quite a bit too. Many come by bus trips to places like DestinyUSA. Many fly out of airports in the states too.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-07-2014 at 08:33 AM..

Old 06-07-2014, 11:12 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
Quote:
Montclair said the Median income for a two worker family in LA metro (not city proper) is 129K.. I'm not too familiar with how L.A metro works in terms of cities, counties etc... I know its massive lol.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
I didn't say all items or that Canadian cities weren't expensive, but it is not uncommon for Canadians to buy clothes and stock up on other items while here in the states.

Also, depending on where you live in Canada, I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few shop in the states at least once a month, if not once a week. Toronto to Buffalo is about 2 hours and Niagara Falls is a little less. A lot of Ottawa and Kingston folks come to Syracuse quite a bit too. Many come by bus trips to places like DestinyUSA. Many fly out of airports in the states too.
Bingo! We target shop cheaper items - look at those border Premium outlet and Tanger outlet malls - they are littered with Canadian plates and possibly wouldn't exist without them.. Buffalo's economy would literally tank if not for the GTA. That is where we buy our 'named brand' clothing like Tommy, Banana Republic, Lacoste, Coach items and its not just matter of cost - its also selection! While down there we'll pick up some booze, cigarettes and fill up the tank and catch a Bills Game.

Last edited by fusion2; 06-07-2014 at 11:32 AM..

Old 06-07-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

If you need help finding cheap toothpaste, TP and PB in the Greater Toronto Area you let me know! A lot of those items can be found for a steal if you know where to shop. Besides for someone with an income over 60K which is what you need for an Aerogold infinite visa - why are you so worried about paying 1.13 for a tube of crest instead of 1 Dollar... I mean one tube of toothpaste lasts months! I bet you shop at Banana Republic and pay full price at the Eaton Centre lol. Well i'm going to PACIFIC MALL to get a cheap lunch, cell phone screen protector and case and will haggle down the price for them

BTW Shoppers drug mart has lots of items on the cheap mid week as they are trying to get rid of excess inventory for the weekend - just some helpful tips for you.

Last edited by fusion2; 06-07-2014 at 11:31 AM..

Old 06-07-2014, 11:56 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Montclair said the Median income for a two worker family in LA metro (not city proper) is 129K.. I'm not too familiar with how L.A metro works in terms of cities, counties etc... I know its massive lol.
He said Mean income.

Old 06-07-2014, 11:58 AM

342 posts, read 510,893 times
I've been looking at this debate unfold and have to chime in.

I am from Vancouver, and have briefly lived in Southern California and now live outside of Washington DC. I agree that the standard of living is lower in Canada. I dont think this is deniable. When you offer all the ways to make up to get around the expensive cost of living, you are indirectly admitting that the standard of living is not the same. Americans dont jump through these hoops to try deperately to reach the same living standard... Plus you are listing ways to get around it that compromise quality and ease of access. I know firsthand that Americans live better on the same money. Im living it right now. Ive been there denying this but its just the facts. Have you lived in both countries? I have. In Vancouver people from my generation cant make ends meet because housing eats up most of our income. Many of my friends moved to Calgary, Edmonton, or got lucky and went south (like me). You need alot more money in Canada to live the same lifestyle and the wages against husing and cost of living doesnt make up for the difference. Neither does the supposedly "free" healthcare or slightly lower university fees (and I also know firsthand they are only SLIGHTLY lower usually except for a minority of instances). It just doesnt make up for the difference. I wish it did because I would love to see me cousins and grandparents and other family still in Canada be able to to better.

I am from the #3 city in the entire country of Canada and couldnt expect to ever own a home or live a US lifestyle. No jobs, terrible wages, oh and then eveen if you get those things you spend it all to live in a shoebox. Do you think anyone in Chicago (the US #3 city) faces these problems? Nope! Americans would be complaining badly if they were in the financial situation even of Torontonians. I went from a shoebox condo for 4 people to a house with a big yard and a pool and a basement and extra guestrooms when I moved to the US. How can someone logically say that the first situation is better? There is nothing about my situation in Vancouver that was better than my situation in California or here whatsoever. We were making similar income. So dont tell me Canada isnt expensive. I hate hearing that because its really offensive to me to hear to manage their money better when its just not a fair expectation. Its not a matter of managing money, the US economy is just better. I know because Ive lived in both not because of some new study that doesnt take into account cost of housing or cost of living into that income. On a level we like to compete with the US (some are obessed with this) so I think it is had to accept this. The first step to fixing the problem is admitting that there is one!

Last edited by ILikeMike91; 06-07-2014 at 12:28 PM..

Old 06-07-2014, 11:58 AM

23 posts, read 34,039 times
LA is a suburb. Tacky, ugly, and full of illegals.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:00 PM

342 posts, read 510,893 times
Climate: LA
Scenery/Architecture: Montreal
Quality of life: LA
Crime: Montreal
Public transportation: Montreal
Shopping: LA
Universities: LA
Entertainment/Things to see and do: LA
Diversity: LA
Economy: LA
Culture: LA
Food: LA
History: Montreal

Where would you rather live?: LA
Where would you rather visit as first timer?: LA

Overall: LA

Montreal is cool but but very fair because LA is a primary world city and Montreal is #2 in Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City