Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Greensboro, NC 12 44.44%
Greenville, SC 15 55.56%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 04:51 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Besides the fact you're clearly the self-appointed cheerleader for Greenville on this forum, logic would seemingly dictate a city with a population of 280K (Greensboro) is going to have a more active downtown overall than a city of 60K (Greenville).
That's absolutely horrible logic. Do you also believe that Charlotte has a more active downtown than New Orleans? Or that Houston has a more active downtown than Boston? There's absolutely no correlation between the size of a city and the vibrancy of its downtown. Plus Greenville has artificially small city limits as SC has restrictive annexation laws. In all actuality it's the size of Greensboro.

If you ever get a chance, you really should check out Greenville's downtown. You'd really be surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Update: Guilford County with Gboro has 34 percent african americans, Greenville county only has 18.5 percent african americans. It goes up to 34 percent or so within the Greenville metro though. I was comparing the two metro areas specifically suburbs, not their respective counties.
Greenville's metro is 17% Black...not sure where you got that 34% figure from. You must have confused it with Columbia (33% Black in the metro).

Greenville-Anderson-Mauldin, SC Metro Area - Profile data - Census Reporter

Old 06-23-2016, 06:04 PM

2,000 posts, read 1,863,463 times
Quote:
The urban area population around Greenville was 400,492, as of 2010.

It is the center of the most populated county, MSA, and CSA in the state of SC. not just a small city of 60,000.

The Greenville MSA has the 63 largest population. Greensboro is at 74.

i do ok, for a 'cheerleader', as you say.
The main difference in that is greenville population is spread out over some 60+ miles away. And Greensboro population is in a tighter area which makes it feels alot bigger than greenville even if that were the same exact size. That and nc has more money is give to its cities for buildings, roads,ect all plays a factor

Old 06-23-2016, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
The main difference in that is greenville population is spread out over some 60+ miles away.
Wait, what????? That's not true at all...Greenville isn't Atlanta.

Quote:
And Greensboro population is in a tighter area which makes it feels alot bigger than greenville even if that were the same exact size.
I'm not sure if you're talking about urbanized area, MSA, etc here. Greensboro's urbanized area and MSA populations are in a "tighter" area because they are smaller than Greenville's. In terms of density, both are roughly in the same ballpark.

Quote:
That and nc has more money is give to its cities for buildings, roads,ect all plays a factor
Greensboro does have a more extensive road network which can give the impression that it is bigger than it is; I can agree with that.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:24 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
The main difference in that is greenville population is spread out over some 60+ miles away. And Greensboro population is in a tighter area which makes it feels alot bigger than greenville even if that were the same exact size. That and nc has more money is give to its cities for buildings, roads,ect all plays a factor
i'm aware of the roads in both states, there are good, adequate roads and roads that could use some work in both states.

i don't know what you mean by buildings. are you talking about school buildings? There are new and renovated school buildings all over SC.

greensboro doesn't feel bigger, they are similar sized. there is a different vibe in the two.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:32 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,509,156 times
I'm very familiar with both areas. Both are nice in their own rights, but I'd choose Greensboro. More to do recreationally, more colleges in the area.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:41 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
what can you do in Greensboro that you can't do in Greenville for recreation?

i'm not sure what colleges have to do with the average working adult, but Greenville, and the Upstate has several universities, Furman, Clemson, Anderson, Bob Jones, North Greenville, USC UpState, Wofford, Converse, and large community colleges. Clemson's business school MBA program is located on Main Street in Greenville.

There is the University Center on Pleasantburg in Greenville where universities in the state offer some classes for working adults to take after work.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:50 PM

2,000 posts, read 1,863,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Wait, what????? That's not true at all...Greenville isn't Atlanta.

Look at clinton. Its a mere 40+miles away from greenville. And its so places further than that. Thats what i mean by spread out

Greensboro does have a more extensive road network which can give the impression that it is bigger than it is; I can agree with that.

Look at clinton. Its a mere 40+miles away from greenville. And its so places further than that. Thats what i mean by spread out

Old 06-23-2016, 09:05 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,872,623 times
Quote:
nc doesn't have better schools. nobody ever backs that up because they don't even prove SC teachers are not as good. Education stems from teaching and teachers.

NC has a lot more schools with 3 and lower school scores. Basically all the inner city schools have a low school score. People who say NC schools are better never talk about these schools.

Washington DC schools receive more money than any schools in the country and they have the most failing students. Money can't overcome unmotivated students or students who are poor learners.
https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...-schools/5335/

In regards to DC, it's not the schools in DC receiving the funding, but schools just outside of it in NOVA and Maryland(where the people with money, working in DC live) which do have high performing schools. Money is not a factor as in the state pumping money into it alone, but schools in more affluent areas any where are going to have better performing schools not because the teachers are better, or students that don't live in these areas just don't have the smarts. When mom and dad have a degree, brother and sister are in college, it's to status quo for kids to do the same. Like wise when mom and dad don't, brother and sister don't, your friends siblings don't, then there isn't really that big of a push(other than those who pushed themselves) when it comes to education.

Basically this is what alters numbers from state to state, It's not that the schools are necessarily no good, but people go to where there job is, which means a brain boost for some states, and a brain drain for others.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:27 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,620,852 times
Not familiar with Greenville--have been once, over 2.5 years ago--but spent two trips in Greensboro earlier this year...

Greensboro's downtown is vastly underwhelming. They have Elm, which is really on live for maybe 2 full blocks, and that's it. I was down there on a Saturday night on one trip in April. Outside of Elm, there was literally nothing. Very disappointing for the supposed "core city" of a metro over ~1.5 million...

The downtown looks even worse in the daytime. It's small and very light on pedestrian traffic. I question whether it or Winston is the true lead city of the Triad....

The neighborhoods of the city were nice enough. I've always heard Downtown Greenville was popping, just haven't seen it myself. There's no way it's all that far behind Downtown Greensboro, if it is at all. Downtown Greensboro is like Downtown Fayetteville with a few taller buildings and a dash of better nightlife, but that's it (overall Greensboro kicks Fayetteville's butt). But Downtown Greensboro?

If you're someone trying to boost Greensboro, please don't mention downtown. Not a good look...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City