Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2020, 05:16 PM

8,890 posts, read 6,922,883 times

Advertisements

One thing Seattle and Denver share (core cities) is growth politics. Both are on board with new housing in particular, because that's a huge component of affordability and equity.

Seattle goes too far with huge growth fees (to make housing cheaper, go figure!). But it also keeps the parking minimums low or nonexistent in any neighborhood with decent bus service, which is where most new housing goes.

So, both cities have grown hugely, particularly in the past decade. Seattle more so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2020, 05:38 PM

Location: Midwesterner living in California (previously East Coast)
296 posts, read 439,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Not that being compared to KC is the knock some of y'all think it is (Very underrated city), but how is Denver any more similar to KC than it is to Seattle? They're just as different in topography, politics, economy, culture, population growth, climate, industry, architecture and demographics as Seattle and Denver are. Let's make it make sense guys lol.

I also don't get this narrative people on here try to paint that Denver (City) isn't that liberal. A city doesn't have to be on the extreme end of the spectrum and overzealous (Seattle) to be liberal. Just saying.

To me, the city of Denver feels more Midwestern than Left Coast. So, what's wrong with being Midwestern?

A lot of my friends moved to Denver from places like Kansas, Missouri, and Iowa. I think y'all should be proud of that. For those friends of mine, you gotta be a really special place for them to want to leave their hometowns and relocate to a big city that far away.

Old 10-26-2020, 06:01 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,725,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIndependent View Post
To me, the city of Denver feels more Midwestern than Left Coast. So, what's wrong with being Midwestern?
I’m not saying it’s “Left coast” at all. I said it’s just as different from Kansas City as it is from Seattle. And that being compared to KC isn’t a knock. I’d just like to know in what ways KC and Denver are any more similar? Denver is a Mountain West city. Not the Midwest or West Coast. It’s okay to let Denver be it’s own thing y’all.

Quote:
A lot of my friends moved to Denver from places like Kansas, Missouri, and Iowa. I think y'all should be proud of that. For those friends of mine, you gotta be a really special place for them to want to leave their hometowns and relocate to a big city that far away.
I’m sure they have and that’s a great thing. Luckily being near the middle of the country Denver gets immigrants from all parts of the country. But CO gets most of it’s out of state immigrants from TX and CA by a good margin.

Last edited by Mezter; 10-26-2020 at 06:09 PM..

Old 10-27-2020, 06:24 AM

12,893 posts, read 9,635,907 times
Quote:
Not that being compared to KC is the knock some of y'all think it is (Very underrated city), but how is Denver any more similar to KC than it is to Seattle? They're just as different in topography, politics, economy, culture, population growth, climate, industry, architecture and demographics as Seattle and Denver are. Let's make it make sense guys lol.

I also don't get this narrative people on here try to paint that Denver (City) isn't that liberal. A city doesn't have to be on the extreme end of the spectrum and overzealous (Seattle) to be liberal. Just saying.
In one post you criticized me for saying Denver isn’t that liberal but also agreed that Seattle was more liberal, confirming what I said.

Being compared to kc isn’t bad at all. Kc is flat, sprawling, has a four season climate and western roots. All things that can be used to describe denver. Sure Denver is more dense and dynamic but it’s not seattle and again not an insult

Old 10-27-2020, 08:01 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,327,221 times
I am not saying Denver is a bad city. It can currently hold its own. But it is slightly overrated. Its suburbs are pretty blah. What it has going for it is being so close to the Rockies.

On a national scale I do not think people rate it above a B list city. And on an international scale is has almost no recognition.

Old 10-27-2020, 09:36 AM

211 posts, read 137,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfitz1010 View Post
I’ve lived in both Denver and Seattle and visited Minneapolis a few times. All 3 have similarities and are very different in the grand scheme of things. I wouldn’t say Denver is that similar to Minneapolis though. Denver is distinctly Western and Minneapolis is distinctly Midwestern. I will say Denver and Minneapolis both are on the more down to earth side. Too many Seattleites have a VERY superior attitude whereas you won’t find much of that in the other two cities.
People often throw out that Denver has an 'Old Western' vibe, but after living here for 6 years, I don't really see where that culture lives. Did it exist 50-100 years ago? Maybe. But in it's current form, Denver and the metro absolutely feels like a gentrified Midwestern city, with a lot of west coast transplants thrown in. Other than the Buckhorn Exchange, I can't think of any Western-style institutions that still exist. Dodge City KS feels more 'Western' than Denver today.

Also, a lot of residents here do feel quite superior about Denver....to an obnoxious degree. Perhaps that's why you see homers trying to compare downtown Denver with downtown Seattle - anyone who's being honest will tell you DT Seattle is in a much higher tier in re: to historic fabric, architecture, and vibrancy. Minneapolis structurally feels very similar to Denver (streetcar-oriented neighborhoods, business districts, etc), but the general vibe there is much more humble.

Old 10-27-2020, 05:33 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,375,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
In one post you criticized me for saying Denver isn’t that liberal but also agreed that Seattle was more liberal, confirming what I said.

Being compared to kc isn’t bad at all. Kc is flat, sprawling, has a four season climate and western roots. All things that can be used to describe denver. Sure Denver is more dense and dynamic but it’s not seattle and again not an insult
Just because Denver isn't as liberal as Seattle doesn't mean it's not liberal is his point. So no, he didn't confirm what you said.

Denver isn't flat and every US and Canadian city is sprawling.

Denver isn't KC either.

Old 10-27-2020, 05:33 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,725,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Exactly, I didn't disagreeing with that part. I just think it's ridiculous that so many on here feels the need to claim Denver isn't that liberal when the city itself has been blue and progressive for years now. Is Seattle not WAAAY liberal because a place like SF is even more liberal, for example? It just doesn't make much sense to me.
Quote:
Can't someone easily say that Seattle is Outdoorsy, has mountains, more liberal leaning, is actually in the West and rapidly growing like Denver? Since the beginning I've said I don't think Denver and Seattle are that similar. But if you're going to compare Denver to another city that's just as dissimilar, I think there should be consistency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtown boi View Post
Denver and the metro absolutely feels like a gentrified Midwestern city, with a lot of west coast transplants thrown in. Other than the Buckhorn Exchange, I can't think of any Western-style institutions that still exist. Dodge City KS feels more 'Western' than Denver today.
Okay, so what about Denver would qualify as being Midwestern over the Western city that it is? No one can ever give a clear answer and I'm starting to think the suggestion is baseless. On another note, you not being familiar with Denver's institutions doesn't mean they don't exist. The National Western Stock Show, Four Mile Historic Park, The State Capitol Building-Civic Center Park, Downtown Golden, and Black American West Museum and the Buffalo Bill Museum/Grave are just a few that come to mind. Along with restaurants like the Buckhorn Exchange and The Fort of course. Denver's growing, but it's heritage is still there

Last edited by Mezter; 10-27-2020 at 06:15 PM..

Old 10-27-2020, 06:27 PM

211 posts, read 137,670 times
Quote:
Exactly, I didn't disagreeing with that part. I just think it's ridiculous that so many on here feels the need to claim Denver isn't that liberal when the city itself has been blue and progressive for years now. Is Seattle not WAAAY liberal because a place like SF is even more liberal, for example? It just doesn't make much sense to me.

Can't someone easily say that Seattle is Outdoorsy, has mountains, more liberal leaning, is actually in the West and rapidly growing like Denver? Since the beginning I've said I don't think Denver and Seattle are that similar. But if you're going to compare Denver to another city that's just as dissimilar, I think there should be consistency.

Okay, so what about Denver would qualify as being a Midwestern over the Western city that it is? No one can ever give a clear answer and I'm starting to think the suggestion is baseless. On another note, you not being familiar with Denver's institutions doesn't mean they don't exist. The National Western Stock Show, Four Mile Historic Park, The State Capitol Building-Civic Center Park, Downtown Golden, and the Black Western History Museum are just a few that come to mind. Along with restaurants like the Buckhorn Exchange and The Fort of course. Denver's growing, but it's heritage is still there

The architecture/layout in the neighborhoods (largely mirrors Minneapolis or Kansas City), the horticulture (seems like the entire tree-planting program was based on trees that grow well in the Midwest, probably why they look thirsty AF here), the restaurant culture is very similar, the politics are the democratic but not overly progressive kind you'd find in a place like Des Moines, and the natives just have a distinct Midwestern vibe. Unless they hate transplants, then they just have a dick-ish vibe.

Also, I'm familiar with the institutions you listed. The stock show only gives you a glimpse into that world for 2 weeks a year, and seems like more of a regional draw than a city attraction, because there's nothing interesting or distinctly Western about the buildings/grounds at the Complex. And while I appreciate them as city landmarks, there's nothing uniquely Western about Civic Center Park or the State Capitol's design either - they could be Anywhere, USA. I'm thinking along the lines of the historic Boise Depot or Palace of the Governors in Santa Fe - those buildings really root you in a Western sense of place, and it's okay to admit Denver just doesn't have much of it.

Now Golden on the other hand, since you brought it up, I do find to be quite charming and Western in feel. For what it's worth.

Edit: good reminder on the Black American West Museum, that place is cool and enlightening.

Last edited by boomtown boi; 10-27-2020 at 06:55 PM..

Old 10-27-2020, 06:51 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,375,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomtown boi View Post
The architecture/layout in the neighborhoods (largely mirrors Minneapolis or Kansas City), the horticulture (seems like the entire tree-planting program was based on trees that grow well in the Midwest, probably why they look thirsty AF here), the restaurant culture is very similar, the politics are the democratic but not overly progressive kind you'd find in a place like Des Moines, and the natives just have a distinct Midwestern vibe. Unless they hate transplants, then they just have a dick-ish vibe.

Also, I'm familiar with the institutions you listed. The Stock Show is a yearly event, and seems like more of a regional draw than a city attraction, because there's nothing distinctly Western about the buildings/grounds at the Complex. And while I appreciate them as city landmarks, there's nothing uniquely Western about Civic Center Park or the State Capitol's design either - they could be Anywhere, USA. I'm thinking along the lines of the historic Boise Depot or Palace of the Governors in Santa Fe - those buildings really root you in a Western sense of place, and it's okay to admit Denver just doesn't have much of it.

Now Golden on the other hand, since you brought it up, I do find to be quite charming and Western in feel. For what it's worth.
How does a cities restaurants as a whole feel like a region of the country?

Denver is a western city with roots in western expansion and Colorado a big mining industry/history. The Palace of the Governors was built before the American west existed so thats absolutely ridiculous to expect Denver to have architecture like that. That's like saying Atlanta isn't southern because they don't have a version of the Cabildo. The Boise Depot is a replica, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City