Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 12:03 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,452,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
While the Piedmont/Appalachian regions feel somewhat different than the deep South, the 2 areas still feel more alike than they do diffirent. The Piedmont just feels like a higher elevated version of the Deep South to me. Parts of North Florida remind me of parts of GA, North Carolina, VA, etc. Northeast Florida is flat/coastal plain, similar to the coastal areas of the afformentioned piedmont states. But once you drive West on I-10 to Tallahassee, the terrain in the Florida panhandle starts to become hilly and elevate, similar to the drive to the Western sections of the Piedmont states. To me, the Deep South city of Tallahassee feels like a Piedmont town that seeped into Florida. Rolling hills, changing seasons, cold winters, etc.
Funny, I was just thinking the same thing. I was in Tallahassee alot lately because I had family in the hospital there. Large parts of it really do physically look like the Atlanta area terrain wise. Even more so than South Georgia. It also is full of tall pines just like Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 12:13 PM

14,256 posts, read 27,012,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I agree, but there are no drastic differences besides elevations. You take Florida...add some elevation and take away the swampy areas, you get the Piedmont look; also, the Piedmont stretches into the Deep South (central Alabama).

It's weird that, sometimes, in the hilly parts of the South, you don't realize the hills on either side of you because the pines are so thick; once they are cut down, it's so amazing to see the rolling terrain that you never knew existed within the forest.

It's funny that there are swamp lands in the Huntsville area in northern Alabama. I feel that although the South has a variety of topography, it's all similar across the board, especially with one common thing, like you said: tall pine trees.

No, I wasn't trying to make Houston out of something that it's not, but I was traveling on FM 1488 through the forest, I felt like I was driving through the typical rural South (regardless of state). In the respective area is where I'd seen the most Confederate flags. LOL.

megaman, are there any swampy lands in the north that I might have missed?
I agree with this.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Funny, I was just thinking the same thing. I was in Tallahassee alot lately because I had family in the hospital there. Large parts of it really do physically look like the Atlanta area terrain wise. Even more so than South Georgia. It also is full of tall pines just like Atlanta.
Yeah, Tallahassee feels like a tiny Atlanta. That whole area of the Florida Panhandle feels characteristically like the Piedmont. The South is diverse, yet unifying and similar. Which is why cities like Austin, San Antonio and Miami feel like outliers to me. Those 3 cities are part of the South for sure, but they feel different.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:27 PM

20,532 posts, read 33,653,257 times
Quote:
Well, that's what I observed. I compared north Houston to Atlanta and Charlotte since they are being compared in this thread. To me, suburban DC feels different even though it may look like Atlanta or Charlotte; it feels northern due to the PT and other obvious things (it did not feel southern at ALL when I went there!!!!!!).

The northern areas of Houston are the only areas where I feel like I'm at home due to looks.
PT? outside of the immediate areas on the Orange, Blue, and Green Lines, I don't see how anyone can say there is a stark difference between suburban DC and suburban Atlanta in looks or feel. Even suburban Atlanta has public transportation? Let's not get into areas like Woodbridge or Manasses areas in Virginia that has little Public transit whatsoever. Or even Ackokeek and other outer beltways neighborhoods in PG.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:33 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,815,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
PT? outside of the immediate areas on the Orange, Blue, and Green Lines, I don't see how anyone can say there is a stark difference between suburban DC and suburban Atlanta in looks or feel. Even suburban Atlanta has public transportation? Let's not get into areas like Woodbridge or Manasses areas in Virginia that has little Public transit whatsoever. Or even Ackokeek and other outer beltways neighborhoods in PG.
Many more pines in suburban Atlanta. That's about the only major difference I notice.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
I agree, the outer Beltway areas of DC feel like the outer burbs of Atlanta somewhat. Like Megaman said, minus the tall pines, outer DC has that suburban Atlanta feel.

Old 09-09-2014, 04:43 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,846,716 times
Quote:
I'm sorry. I just did not get that feel whatsoever. I felt like I was in suburban NJ or NY instead of the south.

Old 09-09-2014, 04:54 PM

20,532 posts, read 33,653,257 times
Quote:
I'm sorry. I just did not get that feel whatsoever. I felt like I was in suburban NJ or NY instead of the south.
Wow. And where were you at in suburban DC? Maybe the areas like the TOD's inside the beltway can pass for suburban NJ or NY. But beyond the beltway, I don't see how anyone can say suburban DC looks any different than say suburban Charlotte if not Atlanta.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:29 PM

37,923 posts, read 42,168,320 times
Quote:
Wow. And where were you at in suburban DC? Maybe the areas like the TOD's inside the beltway can pass for suburban NJ or NY. But beyond the beltway, I don't see how anyone can say suburban DC looks any different than say suburban Charlotte if not Atlanta.
I don't even think the TOD's make suburban DC feel more like suburban NJ and NY, especially since they're mainly New Urbanist-type developments like Birkdale Village in suburban Charlotte or downtown Decatur (ITP) or Suwanee (OTP) in suburban Atlanta.

Old 09-09-2014, 10:30 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,846,716 times
Quote:
We came in past Dulles way heading east. It didn't feel southern AT ALL. That area to the far west of Dulles reminded me of Northern Kentucky and Ohio. The closer tp Dulles we got, the more it started to look like the suburban northeast.

Last edited by SouthernBoy205; 09-09-2014 at 11:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City