Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 12:56 PM

37,901 posts, read 42,041,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metairie View Post
It doesn't matter the size. You are the one continuing on about stores that you brought up. There are bugs, forest everywhere, deer, chipmunks, accents, "bless your heart" daily, few street lights, that equals small town vibe for me. Jesus move on. Most the people that I meet/neighbors said they love the small town feel of Charlotte. People that actually live here now said that to me.
You'd probably think the same thing about Atlanta because everything you're saying is prevalent throughout the Piedmont, which is obviously new to you. Good luck trying to get anybody to take you seriously saying Atlanta--the core, not the outlying areas--has a "very small town atmosphere." And yes, mainly folks from up North talk about how they like the "small town feel of Charlotte." It's a very common refrain, even here in Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 01:09 PM

415 posts, read 607,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You'd probably think the same thing about Atlanta because everything you're saying is prevalent throughout the Piedmont, which is obviously new to you. Good luck trying to get anybody to take you seriously saying Atlanta--the core, not the outlying areas--has a "very small town atmosphere." And yes, mainly folks from up North talk about how they like the "small town feel of Charlotte." It's a very common refrain, even here in Atlanta.
I never said that about at Atlanta.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:16 PM

37,901 posts, read 42,041,430 times
Quote:
I never said that about at Atlanta.
You would if you were familiar with it. Everything you're saying about Charlotte is common to cities in the Piedmont, including Atlanta. Especially the trees: http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...7/P1011281.jpg

The fact is, every city has its critters to deal with, depending on where in the country you are and how far from the core of the city you're located. Yes you'll find lots of trees and chipmunks throughout most of the city in a Piedmont city; bugs (which, again, Charlotte has nothing on New Orleans in that department), deer, etc. will be found more along the outskirts. I still don't know where you're coming from with the "few street lights" thing in Charlotte (except along some stretches of interstate, but that's the responsibility of NCDOT), but accents and Southernisms are not confined exclusively to small towns in the South. Have you ever lived in or extensively visited any other Southern cities besides metro NOLA? Everybody knows NOLA is an anomaly in the South.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You would if you were familiar with it. Everything you're saying about Charlotte is common to cities in the Piedmont, including Atlanta. Especially the trees: http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...7/P1011281.jpg

The fact is, every city has its critters to deal with, depending on where in the country you are and how far from the core of the city you're located. Yes you'll find lots of trees and chipmunks throughout most of the city in a Piedmont city; bugs (which, again, Charlotte has nothing on New Orleans in that department), deer, etc. will be found more along the outskirts. I still don't know where you're coming from with the "few street lights" thing in Charlotte (except along some stretches of interstate, but that's the responsibility of NCDOT), but accents and Southernisms are not confined exclusively to small towns in the South. Have you ever lived in or extensively visited any other Southern cities besides metro NOLA? Everybody knows NOLA is an anomaly in the South.
I've never "lived in" other southern cities but travel quite a bit. I've spent a lot of time in Atlanta and several cities in FL and Biloxi and Gulfport. I love Atlanta! I never got bit by bugs coming in and out of places. Never found spiders on my person in stores, never saw any deer or chipmunks, or cockroaches on the streets outside of the upscale hotels. All of which have happened to me in Charlotte, and probably could happen in Atlanta. I love the diversity of Atlanta and the way people dress, the food, the SHOPPING! Its similar to Charlotte but much more lively, crowded, and fun. Again, thats just my opinion. I remember talking to several people in Atlanta about moving to Charlotte. All of them said, "Why not Atlanta, Charlotte wasn't as fun, was too small etc..." Thats a fact, not something I'm using to defend myself. And the accents in Atlanta are less southern belle to me, but its all relative I suppose.
I consider Atlanta southern obviously, but much different than Charlotte in too many ways to name.
And I'm going to Dallas for the first time very soon. Excited to see it.

Last edited by Metairie; 09-07-2014 at 01:51 PM..

Old 09-07-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
I've never "lived in" other southern cities but travel quite a bit. I've spent a lot of time in Atlanta and several cities in FL and Biloxi and Gulfport. I love Atlanta! I never got bit by bugs coming in and out of places. Never found spiders on my person in stores, never saw any deer or chipmunks, or cockroaches on the streets outside of the upscale hotels. All of which have happened to me in Charlotte, and probably could happen in Atlanta. I love the diversity of Atlanta and the way people dress, the food, the SHOPPING! Its similar to Charlotte but much more lively, crowded, and fun. Again, thats just my opinion. I remember talking to several people in Atlanta about moving to Charlotte. All of them said, "Why not Atlanta, Charlotte wasn't as fun, was too small etc..." Thats a fact, not something I'm using to defend myself. And the accents in Atlanta are less southern belle to me, but its all relative I suppose.
I consider Atlanta southern obviously, but much different than Charlotte in too many ways to name.
I forgot to mention that I've been to Houston a lot as well. Stayed there 2-3 weeks during Katrina.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:49 PM

And New Orleans has a lot of squirrels, mosquitos, and cockroaches. However I only sprayed my house once a year and only saw mosquitos outside never roaches. Squirrels are common. I never knew what a chipmunk even looked like and had never seen a deer in real life or so many roaches there. I never once saw a snake (however lots of people here tell me they've seen at least one), however I did see turtles in water or suntanning sometimes if I drove out to the more rural areas near water. Humidity brings critters, but I have so many bites and so has my son here compared to other places I've been. But NOLA is built to capacity, no natural habitats left for wildlife and such. Which isn't necessarily to brag about and its not pretty to look at either. But it limits critters and creatures in the New Orleans area and 20 minutes or more surroundings.

Old 09-07-2014, 02:33 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,603,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Well politics have zero influence on my opinion.

Going off of my personal experience, I've never even met a native Austinite with a southern accent. You're less likely to find quality southern cooking in Austin. I feel the same about San Antonio. In my opinion they are southern cities, just less culturally so than places further east.
Weird. I know tons of native Austinites with thick Southern accents. Are you sure you're not confusing transplants and natives? Sure, it's a bit more "twangy" than "drawl"... but IMO the "Texas twang" is just another form of Southern accent. Most people outside of the South would agree with this. Even the accents in Midland sound Southern to me, and that's way out in West Texas.

I don't understand why it's so hard for some people (not referring to you) to wrap their heads around the fact that the South, being the HUGE region that it is, has quite a few sub-regions with differences in their particular Southern flavor. Instead, this purist mentality prevails, mainly just in these forums, that if any one certain city or state doesn't fit the deep South stereotype, that it somehow makes that city/state less Southern. People in other regions don't really do this.

Old 09-07-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
3. Houston(Most humid city in Texas. Located in the most culturally Southern region of Texas(East Texas), shares many cultural traits with Southern Louisiana, accents tend to be thick, and have more of a Southern Drawl, rather than a Texas Twang. Very High Black population, but also very high Hispanic population.)

4. Dallas(Large Black population like Houston, and very high Hispanic population like Houston. Has a historical cotton-based agrarian base. Has some cultural connections to Northern Louisiana, but also shares cultural traits with Oklahoma, and other states in the Southern Midwest. Fort Worth is known as where "The West Begins". Strong "Cowboy"/"Vaquero" Rodeo culture. Feels more culturally "Texan" than anything)

5. Austin(Small Black population. Pretty darn geographically faaar from the rest of the South. Very brown, dry, and brushy in some parts, abundance of native cactus growing wild. Parts of West Austin look like it could pass for rural parts of Southern California. Very high Hispanic population. Native Whites more closely identify with being Texans, rather than being Southerners. Just a general lack of Southern culture outside of the Texas Twang that some of the Native Whites have. )
I always get a kick from people referring to Oklahoma as the "Southern Midwest". Nope. Oklahoma is 100% Plains-Southern, with some light influence from it's neighbor to the North, Kansas, which is the ACTUAL Southern Midwest.

Austin, the "geographically faaaar from the rest of the South" city, is only a 2 and a half hour drive from Houston, the "most stereotypically Southern city in Texas". Might want to re-think that one.

Sometimes I have to wonder if anybody in these forums was ever actually paying attention in 8th grade Geography classes.

Last edited by Bobloblawslawblog; 09-07-2014 at 03:36 PM..

Old 09-07-2014, 03:58 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,799,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Weird. I know tons of native Austinites with thick Southern accents. Are you sure you're not confusing transplants and natives? Sure, it's a bit more "twangy" than "drawl"... but IMO the "Texas twang" is just another form of Southern accent. Most people outside of the South would agree with this. Even the accents in Midland sound Southern to me, and that's way out in West Texas.

I don't understand why it's so hard for some people (not referring to you) to wrap their heads around the fact that the South, being the HUGE region that it is, has quite a few sub-regions with differences in their particular Southern flavor. Instead, this purist mentality prevails, mainly just in these forums, that if any one certain city or state doesn't fit the deep South stereotype, that it somehow makes that city/state less Southern. People in other regions don't really do this.
They were definitely natives. No discernible accent.

What it comes down to is that there are certain traits that are commonly associated sith the south. Of all the cities listed Austin has the least amount of these traits.

Old 09-07-2014, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
They were definitely natives. No discernible accent.

What it comes down to is that there are certain traits that are commonly associated sith the south. Of all the cities listed Austin has the least amount of these traits.
Well, I disagree... and I'll just leave it at that. I also know plenty of native Houstonians and native Dallasites who have no discernable accent. Doesn't mean much to me. I still consider all of these cities equally Southern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City