Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 11:11 AM

37,929 posts, read 42,225,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Wrong, based on sheer size Atlanta is not southern anymore. And why is it wrong to be southern? I was at an intersection the other day and saw more orange NY plates than GA, same with NJ and the other 48 states.
Atlanta is still plenty Southern; stop the madness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metairie View Post
I'm currently living in Charlotte, I moved from New Orleans. I can tell you the people here talk with VERY southern accents. I was even culture shocked (as a southern) by how people talk, how sloooow everything moves, and the old southern sayings I encounter daily.
So I would Charlotte is the most southern of those choices. Not sayings theres anything wrong with being more southern, just is what it is.
I think Charlotte is the most Southern of the bunch, but you're making it sound like Mayberry and it's FAR from that. I definitely think it moves faster than NOLA because it's more business-oriented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 01:40 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,384,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Atlanta is still plenty Southern; stop the madness.

I think Charlotte is the most Southern of the bunch, but you're making it sound like Mayberry and it's FAR from that. I definitely think it moves faster than NOLA because it's more business-oriented.
Why don't you stop the madness? You are so bipolar you say one thing then another ...Charlotte is the most southern of the bunch. I NEVER said Atlanta was not still southern but definitely is not more southern than Charlotte based of size. Do not put words in my mouth. Furthermore, a post earlier you did I agreed with you. Out of these cities Charlotte is the "Mayberry".

Old 09-06-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Why don't you stop the madness? You are so bipolar you say one thing then another ...Charlotte is the most southern of the bunch. I NEVER said Atlanta was not still southern but definitely is not more southern than Charlotte based of size. Do not put words in my mouth. Furthermore, a post earlier you did I agreed with you. Out of these cities Charlotte is the "Mayberry".
Your exact words: "Wrong, based on sheer size Atlanta is not southern anymore."

No matter how you try and twist is, this is as wrong as two left shoes on any given day. Your words are right there for everyone to see.

Oh yeah, and I reported your harassing DM to the administrator.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:56 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,821,660 times
Most to least

1.Charlotte
2.Houston
2.Atlanta
2.Dallas
5.Austin

Last edited by Gunion Powder; 09-06-2014 at 02:07 PM..

Old 09-06-2014, 04:59 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,982,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Why are you so obsessed with this? I've seen your many, many posts in the Texas forums regarding this topic, and they have usually wound up going off on some extremely bizarre and nonsensical tangents.

All of these cities are in the South, and what little variations there are in "Southernisms" are too insignificant to really mean anything. How many of these kind of threads are there at this point on C-D? I would have to imagine close to a thousand. What do they prove? Absolutely nothing, from what I've read.

Exactly!!! Will this ignorance ever end???

Old 09-06-2014, 05:07 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,982,255 times
Quote:
Wrong, based on sheer size Atlanta is not southern anymore. And why is it wrong to be southern? I was at an intersection the other day and saw more orange NY plates than GA, same with NJ and the other 48 states.

Please explain to this ignorant person what size has to do with being Southern? C-D is a source for new knowledge.

Old 09-06-2014, 05:30 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,330,373 times
I think Houston is the most southern to be honest.

Old 09-06-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
I think Houston is the most southern to be honest.
It's kind of hard to make a case for any Texas city being the most characteristically Southern of this bunch IMO; this is largely due to the influence of surrounding regions, since Texas as a whole is where the South meets the Southwest and Great Plains. Then you have the international influence on top of that and Houston is a prime example. The city is still Southern but just has more outside influences than other Southern cities.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:10 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,615,639 times
I just want to know how people are actually gauging the "Southernness" of these cities? What's the criteria? Humidity levels/dew points? Accents? Number of Live Oak trees with Spanish moss dripping from their branches? Number of evangelical churches in proportion to population? Whether or not people refer to all sodas as "Coke"? Number of pickup trucks on the roads?

Any other stereotypes we can use to measure how Southern these cities are and compare notes?

This is supposed to be a site where people go to obtain data. How is this, or any of the million other similarly themed threads providing any tangible data? This is all just wind in sails, and a bunch of homers trying to either "out-Southern" other cities, or do the opposite and claim that their city is somehow "less Southern" due to it's size, number of transplants from outside regions, international population, climate/topography, or because it happens to be in a state that is on the outer edge of the South, rather than deep in it.

It all amounts to nothing, really. Keep making these fantasy lists though. They are admittedly amusing, though quite bizarre.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
I just want to know how people are actually gauging the "Southernness" of these cities? What's the criteria? Humidity levels/dew points? Accents? Number of Live Oak trees with Spanish moss dripping from their branches? Number of evangelical churches in proportion to population? Whether or not people refer to all sodas as "Coke"? Number of pickup trucks on the roads?

Any other stereotypes we can use to measure how Southern these cities are and compare notes?

This is supposed to be a site where people go to obtain data. How is this, or any of the million other similarly themed threads providing any tangible data? This is all just wind in sails, and a bunch of homers trying to either "out-Southern" other cities, or do the opposite and claim that their city is somehow "less Southern" due to it's size, number of transplants from outside regions, international population, climate/topography, or because it happens to be in a state that is on the outer edge of the South, rather than deep in it.

It all amounts to nothing, really. Keep making these fantasy lists though. They are admittedly amusing, though quite bizarre.
This site has a ton of different subforums, including those that have nothing to do with data; the "data" part of the site's name is primarily for those looking for specific relocation information. However, as for a subject like this, it can be open to interpretation depending on the perspectives of the forumers--and they may or may not be based on data or so-called stereotypes (which have some sort of basis in reality). That's what can make discussions like these--which are completely within the boundaries of the rules of this subforum--fun and informative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City