Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 11:30 AM

1,027 posts, read 2,050,664 times

Advertisements

Witch of these cities is most and least southern Charlotte, Atlanta ,Austin , Houston or Dallas.

I read Austin is not that southern very liberal ,urban yuppie ,hipster ,party type and smoking marijuana and drinking crowd.

Dallas more traditions in behavior ,dress ,customs ,preppy , businesses casual , nice car , people dress up more,nice clothes and more had working.

Well Dallas suburbs like the city of Arlington and Garland more southern than Dallas.

Houston more working class ,blue collar worker ,less fashion oriented ,more pick up truck and SUV than expensive car like in Dallas,very casual in how people dress ,less southern customs and behavior.

Out of the five where do think still has most southern accents these days.

I hear that Charlotte and Houston most people don't have southern accents these days. And Atlanta more south of down town more southern accents well north of down town hardly so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 11:40 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,894,638 times
Most - Atlanta
Least - Houston

Old 09-05-2014, 12:38 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,561,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Most - Atlanta
Least - Houston
Replace Houston with Dallas.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:46 PM

37,889 posts, read 41,990,657 times
Most: Charlotte
Least: Austin

Old 09-05-2014, 01:31 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,444,430 times
Least-Charlotte

Old 09-05-2014, 01:47 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,374,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Most: Charlotte
Least: Austin
Agree

Old 09-05-2014, 02:03 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,600,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
Witch of these cities is most and least southern Charlotte, Atlanta ,Austin , Houston or Dallas.

I read Austin is not that southern very liberal ,urban yuppie ,hipster ,party type and smoking marijuana and drinking crowd.

Dallas more traditions in behavior ,dress ,customs ,preppy , businesses casual , nice car , people dress up more,nice clothes and more had working.

Well Dallas suburbs like the city of Arlington and Garland more southern than Dallas.

Houston more working class ,blue collar worker ,less fashion oriented ,more pick up truck and SUV than expensive car like in Dallas,very casual in how people dress ,less southern customs and behavior.

Out of the five where do think still has most southern accents these days.

I hear that Charlotte and Houston most people don't have southern accents these days. And Atlanta more south of down town more southern accents well north of down town hardly so.
Why are you so obsessed with this? I've seen your many, many posts in the Texas forums regarding this topic, and they have usually wound up going off on some extremely bizarre and nonsensical tangents.

All of these cities are in the South, and what little variations there are in "Southernisms" are too insignificant to really mean anything. How many of these kind of threads are there at this point on C-D? I would have to imagine close to a thousand. What do they prove? Absolutely nothing, from what I've read.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:17 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,050,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Why are you so obsessed with this? I've seen your many, many posts in the Texas forums regarding this topic, and they have usually wound up going off on some extremely bizarre and nonsensical tangents.

All of these cities are in the South, and what little variations there are in "Southernisms" are too insignificant to really mean anything. How many of these kind of threads are there at this point on C-D? I would have to imagine close to a thousand. What do they prove? Absolutely nothing, from what I've read.
I think you where the one spending some time in Dallas and Houston and said it was not that southern any more and a lot of people did not have a southern accents in Dallas or Houston.

The cities I talk above are at risk of losing all Southerness and in 50 years from now nothing left.That is why I made this poll to see what most and least Southerness of what is left in these cities.

Only 10% or 20% people have southern accents in Dallas and Houston now where a lot more in say Charlotte, or Atlanta???

Old 09-05-2014, 02:29 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,600,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweat209 View Post
I think you where the one spending some time in Dallas and Houston and said it was not that southern any more and a lot of people did not have a southern accents in Dallas or Houston.

The cities I talk above are at risk of losing all Southerness and in 50 years from now nothing left.That is why I made this poll to see what most and least Southerness of what is left in these cities.

Only 10% or 20% people have southern accents in Dallas and Houston now where a lot more in say Charlotte, or Atlanta.
My point is, as it was in your other similarly-themed threads... who cares? I don't think there are too many people going around these cities gauging the accents of all their millions of residents and keeping track of percentages. They're all transplant-heavy boom towns with people moving in from all over the nation and the world. Doesn't change the fact that they are all still in the American South. I mean, even Miami is still technically in the South, and just because you'll be hard-pressed to hear any Southern accents there or find much traditional old Southern culture, doesn't take anything away from it being part of that region.

Not all cities in ANY given region are going to be the same. Pick a region. Let's say the Midwest. How similar are Youngstown, OH and Topeka, KS? Or Minneapolis and Cincinatti? Still, they are all Midwestern cities.

And I never said Houston and Dallas "weren't that Southern anymore". They are both just as Southern today as they were 30 or even 50 years ago. They're just much bigger now and much more diverse.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:31 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,561,459 times
I didn't even see Austin in there. So actually, replace Houston with Austin.

This is my list.
1. Charlotte
2. Atlanta
3. Houston
4. Dallas
5. Austin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City