Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 12:02 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,887,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
1. Offering 24-hour service to all its subway lines.
2. Bringing rail service to one of the biggest employment hubs in the area(King of Prussia).
3. Implementing its new state of the art payment system.
4. New Bus-Rapid-Transit lines( SEPTA & NJ Transit)
5. Restoring rail service to Gloucester County(NJ Transit)
I disagree that the gap is going to widen, LA and Denver and Seattle are doing a lot more than that. Sure they have further to go and may never catch up to the Northeast cities, but I find it unlikely they will fall behind. I think LA having 5 rail lines under construction at once beats all five of those things - not to mention through-routing at Union Station for Metrolink, bus-only lanes along Wilshire for the 702 bus and a big renovation of the Blue Line in Long Beach. Seattle I believe has multiple lines under construction and I think Denver might also (but it may only be one line at a time).

Even with all of those improvements I do see LA being the 8th best transit city for a while, the only city I can really see it leapfrogging is another west coast city, San Francisco.

Quote:
Look guys, the three best major cities for transit in the US are NYC, DC, and Chicago. Really not much debate about that...
Yeah well, with my posts I was never arguing anything like that. I was just saying this study makes sense and is most-likely correct. Los Angeles is not a top 3 transit city, nor is it a top 5. It is a top 10.

It's not the most autocentric major city on the planet, unless the United States only has 3 major cities (and even then the claim seems dubious) - same goes for Chicago as the 2nd most autocentric major city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 12:18 PM

32,151 posts, read 34,822,702 times
Quote:
1. Offering 24-hour service to all its subway lines.
2. Bringing rail service to one of the biggest employment hubs in the area(King of Prussia).
3. Implementing its new state of the art payment system.
4. New Bus-Rapid-Transit lines( SEPTA & NJ Transit)
5. Restoring rail service to Gloucester County(NJ Transit)
Isn't rail to KOP still in the planning phase? They haven't even secured funding for it. Yet you throw it into the same category with DC which just completed a new heavy rail line and is currently building new stations along that line.

With Los Angeles, they at least seem to have the planning and funding part of it down. Now it looks like they just need to wrap up some litigation and get on with it.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:28 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,024,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I disagree that the gap is going to widen, LA and Denver and Seattle are doing a lot more than that. Sure they have further to go and may never catch up to the Northeast cities, but I find it unlikely they will fall behind. I think LA having 5 rail lines under construction at once beats all five of those things - not to mention through-routing at Union Station for Metrolink, bus-only lanes along Wilshire for the 702 bus and a big renovation of the Blue Line in Long Beach. Seattle I believe has multiple lines under construction and I think Denver might also (but it may only be one line at a time).
I'm speaking more from a regional perspective as in Northeast, West, South, etc. Of course individual cities like Los Angeles and San Francisco will continue to make great strides in their transit systems but from a regional perspective it is still a huge gap and I don't see that really changing as cities like Washington DC, Philly, and New York City continue to improve as transit cities. To basically sum it up, the Northeast is king when it comes to transportation and that's not going to change anytime soon if ever.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:
I'm speaking more from a regional perspective as in Northeast, West, South, etc. Of course individual cities like Los Angeles and San Francisco will continue to make great strides in their transit systems but from a regional perspective it is still a huge gap and I don't see that really changing as cities like Washington DC, Philly, and New York City continue to improve as transit cities. To basically sum it up, the Northeast is king when it comes to transportation and that's not going to change anytime soon if ever.
Oh okay I see.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:32 PM

7,743 posts, read 5,538,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Isn't rail to KOP still in the planning phase? They haven't even secured funding for it. Yet you throw it into the same category with DC which just completed a new heavy rail line and is currently building new stations along that line.

With Los Angeles, they at least seem to have the planning and funding part of it down. Now it looks like they just need to wrap up some litigation and get on with it.
Yeah SEPTA's gains recently are not nearly as impressive as other cities. I think the most interesting thing for Philadelphia is if SEPTA could extend the BSL farther to Nay Yard. Where some places have the budget to build new, SEPTA is spending most of it on repiars. Extending SEPTA line to the Navy Yard easier said than done - Philadelphia Business Journal

Old 10-14-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
It's not the most autocentric major city on the planet, unless the United States only has 3 major cities (and even then the claim seems dubious) - same goes for Chicago as the 2nd most autocentric major city.
I guess it depends on how one defines a "huge" city. Chicago is the 29th largest metro area in the world. Dallas is 35th and Houston is 39th. Chicago doesn't make the Top 80 list for city propers.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:37 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,024,685 times
Quote:

The KOP project will most certainly happen. It has a lot of support. Now that SEPTA has more secured funding from the state, construction projects like these will most certainly happen.

King of Prussia Rail

Old 10-14-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:

Yeah I believe that the Regional Connector has some issues with the surrounding offices in the Financial District who are worried cut-and-cover digging will disrupt business (which it will), plus they got screwed out of a station at 5th and Flower so they will see less benefit from the project.

The Purple Line has litigation from Beverly Hills which is just.... . However they signed off on the first phase (which terminates in BH borders at Wilshire/La Cienega) so the delay would not be until Phase II, which isn't planned to be finished until something like 2099 anyways (really it's like 2026).

Gold Line to Azusa is more than half finished (defeating a single litigator who settled out of court), as is the Expo to Santa Monica (defeating the litigation from Cheviot Hills). The Crenshaw Line is under construction as well, defeating litigation from (I think) the BRU?

Then I think there are a few in the planning phases, they are partially funded but would require federal dollars, always dicey these days.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
I guess it depends on how one defines a "huge" city. Chicago is the 29th largest metro area in the world. Dallas is 35th and Houston is 39th. Chicago doesn't make the Top 80 list for city propers.
I'd go by metro area and count "huge" as top 50, maybe even top 100.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
The KOP project will most certainly happen. Its has too much support. Now that SEPTA has more secured funding from the state, construction projects like these will most certainly happen.

King of Prussia Rail
Yeah, that's all well and good, but how does a project in the planning phase "widen the gap" when Los Angeles is currently building more rail? They've already voted on it and earmarked funding for it. They're ready to put tunnel boring machines in the ground; SEPTA is still talking. That's a huge difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City