Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has a worse winter?
Minneapolis 283 82.51%
Seattle 60 17.49%
Voters: 343. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 08:39 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Seattle had 2 "very" cold sunny stretches this year that lasted for 10 days when the daily temperature was 35 and the night temperature was 25. I couldn't stay outside for more than 5 minutes because it felt freezing (30-35 degrees, 0 mph wind and clear blue sky!). But when it's wet (it's usually just cloudy), I can stay out all day because it's very mild and the normal Seattle rain can't even get you wet (it's just drizzle). Heavy rain is not typical for Seattle (3-4 days a month outside of summer).
I provided stats, and it said 15+ days a month during winter. Anecdotes need not apply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapper23 View Post
As I am writing this post it is 63 degrees in Seattle and 19 in Minneapolis.

Anyways.
You must be a statistician!

Old 12-10-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post

One other substantial point- one of the main gripes about Seattle's winter weather is the darkness. But that comes with the territory when you're at such high latitude. The people that I've seen complain the most about the winters seem to be from CA, and shorter days could help explain why.
That's a problem in the Twin Cities too, since, like Seattle, it's also within that Northern portion of the world (straddles the 45th parallel). The one and only cool thing about longer nights.....the days feel longer. When it's dark out at 5:00 biologically you expect bedtime to be right around the corner, but it feels like you have extra time because of the longer dark periods. There are obvious drawbacks as well, but that's one silver lining.

Old 12-10-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
2 hours later, it's 59 degrees and sunny with mixed clouds. It feels more like Northern California than anything in the Midwest.
Are you aware of weather patterns and how they're different than climates? It's like people who complain there isn't Global Warming on a day when the temp is below average....just because it's cold THAT DAY.

According to the statistics a 63 degree high is 17 degrees above the typical Seattle December average. I thought you guys were intelligent?

Old 12-10-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
I know right? one of the stupidest threads on this forum and you've got people actually denying facts and trying to make this thread valid. Lol, it's hilarious. Only a homer Minnesotan would chose Minnesota winters over Seattle. Next, someone will try to convince me that southern Arizona summers are comparable to Portland Summers.
The joke is on anyone who doesn't think BOTH places have terrible winters. So far the joke is squarely on Seattlites, who as usual are too busy being in love with themselves to accept the reality around them. At least Minneapolitans accept their fate somewhat, if not with some optimism.

I still haven't seen many people vote that Minneapolis winters are preferred (even if I might, but still haven't voted), yet I see MANY people stating that Seattle winters are wonderful -- the complete opposite point of the thread, yet alas...

Old 12-10-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Seattle's weather has more in common with Northern California than Minnesota.
Not the point whatsoever.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris-on-ponce View Post
Seattle is sunny during the Summer. And its Winters are very mild. More to the point, it is no more overcast during the Winter than much of the country. With the exception of South Florida and Southern California, most of the US is overcast during Winter.

Seattle earns its cloudy/rainy rep in the Fall and Spring. When other cities are seeing the sun peek out around April, Seattle is still looking at day after day of gray clouds and drizzle well into June.

But since we're talking about Winter weather let's look at the averages (all numbers in Fahrenheit):

Avg high in Seattle in January is 46 degrees. Avg high in Minneapolis in January is 22.

Avg low in Seattle in January is 36 degrees. Avg low in Minneapolis in January is 4.

FOUR.

And the averages obviously don't tell the whole story. Any given day in Dec, Jan, Feb, or Mar in Minneapolis the high might be -5. Or worse.

When the high is -5, who cares if it's sunny out? Going out on the town, walking for blocks and blocks through a city in -5 degree weather is far more miserable than walking around in the mid 40s with cloud cover.
I don't think many would deny that (although having sunshine makes a big difference when it's cold). But you just compared an extreme day in Minneapolis to an average day in Seattle -- why? Let's take extreme vs. extreme, or -5 with wind and snow in Minneapolis vs. 35 with wind and rain in Seattle. Which do you prefer? I assume Seattle, but the choice isn't so clear for many, including me.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
Wow, this thread exploded since my post on the first page... Since I knowingly voted against what I correctly assumed would be the popular vote, can anyone give me a rundown on why this thread blew up?
You can't make a thread about how [negative] Seattle is or you will see a [poop] storm. Even if that negative fill-in-the-blank is blatantly obvious to everybody outside of Seattle, just like it's obvious that winters in Minneapolis are harsh and miserable compared to most of the country.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:57 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
The joke is on anyone who doesn't think BOTH places have terrible winters. So far the joke is squarely on Seattlites, who as usual are too busy being in love with themselves to accept the reality around them. At least Minneapolitans accept their fate somewhat, if not with some optimism.

I still haven't seen many people vote that Minneapolis winters are preferred (even if I might, but still haven't voted), yet I see MANY people stating that Seattle winters are wonderful -- the complete opposite point of the thread, yet alas...
It's so ridiculous for you or anyone else to try and almost force people that live or lived in Seattle to admit that winters in Seattle are pure misery when it just isn't for me. I'll take Seattle winters over any place in the midwest, northeast or midatlantic.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:59 AM

591 posts, read 819,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
You can't make a thread about how [negative] Seattle is or you will see a [poop] storm. Even if that negative fill-in-the-blank is blatantly obvious to everybody outside of Seattle, just like it's obvious that winters in Minneapolis are harsh and miserable compared to most of the country.
You're a genius. No one has said Seattle has nice winters. The point is that Seattle has BETTER winters than Minneapolis. None of your comments make sense. Just stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City