Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2015, 12:53 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
I get a laugh at all the people acting like Chicago is so bad. All cities (including Chicago) are way down from twenty years ago. Twenty years ago, the Bronx alone had over seven hundred murders. The only difference is some cities became "policed states" or "policed cities." Camera's on every corner including cops everywhere. Poor Chicago really gets vilified unfairly on here. Just because their city didn't drop to levels like NYC and Los Angeles. There still much lower per rate than many cities, yet they are laughed at like they are not a city that can get it together. Even though that they have half of the murders that they had twenty years ago.
Chicago gets vilified because Obama is from Chicago. Right wing newpapers made it their mission to make the city he comes from look as bad as possible, then it took it off from there and the momentum hasn't stopped.

Despite the fact that many cities have higher murder rates, it's much more fearing to say that 500-600 murders is basically a warzone vs. a city that only has 95 murders, but a higher murder rate because of a lower population.

Just my theory anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 12:54 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Chicago gets vilified because Obama is from Chicago. Right wing newpapers made it their mission to make the city he comes from look as bad as possible, then it took it off from there and the momentum hasn't stopped.

Despite the fact that many cities have higher murder rates, it's much more fearing to say that 500-600 murders is basically a warzone vs. a city that only has 95 murders, but a higher murder rate because of a lower population.

Just my theory anyway.
Blame Spike Lee, he is a right winger. Damn you Spike Lee lol

Old 12-11-2015, 01:51 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,150,954 times
Quote:

Just my theory anyway.

I have a sort of similar theory and I think it's a joke. Chicago's murder rate is actually a lot lower than many cities. This so called "murder zone" is in such a small area. Every city has their bad areas. I think people should just chill on the Chicago hate. It's a really great city and many cities would just love to be as "crappy" as Chicago.

Old 12-11-2015, 03:30 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
I have a sort of similar theory and I think it's a joke. Chicago's murder rate is actually a lot lower than many cities. This so called "murder zone" is in such a small area. Every city has their bad areas. I think people should just chill on the Chicago hate. It's a really great city and many cities would just love to be as "crappy" as Chicago.
Well it's not really "such a small area" that has all the problems. It has a population almost as large as San Francisco if you look at the core west/south sides that have 75% of the murders. It would be like San Francisco having 325 murders for 800,000 people - horrific. That's almost Detroit/Baltimore/St Louis levels of homicide rate.

On the flip side though the entire downtown area that tourists and visitors see and say in each year and the north and northwest/southwest sides of the city are perfectly fine. Tens of millions of tourists, over 100,000 college students, 600,000 employees in the loop, shoppers, etc. The central area gets around a million people a day on weekdays and rarely ever sees any shootings or murders.

Then there's the rest of the city other than those dangerous ghettos, those areas are basically like two San Francisco's lumped together in population and have a murder rate far below the national average.

It's a tale of two very very distinct cities and I know most cities are like that - but Chicago is somewhat unique because of the sheer scale of those two distinct cities. They're each as large as some of the largest freestanding cities in the country.

I do agree Chicago seems to get beat down on crime more than I would think it should seeing how it normally comes in middle of the pack for homicide/crime rates comparing large US cities. I mean Washington DC, Atlanta, Miami, etc. They all have higher homicide rates, but you don't ever hear them talked about above Chicago if you're bringing up crime.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:48 PM

142 posts, read 193,689 times
Quote:

Just my theory anyway.
Facts!

Old 12-12-2015, 12:51 AM

448 posts, read 591,881 times
Baltimore recorded its 325th homicide. That's an insane amount.

Old 12-12-2015, 12:06 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
If NYC had the Baltimore rates it would have like four and a half thousand murders, the media would go insane

Old 12-12-2015, 12:10 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
If NYC had the Baltimore rates it would have like four and a half thousand murders, the media would go insane
I agree with you but NYC especially Manhattan real estate would never allow that, NYC has more millionaires than any place in the USA. NYC crime was high the 70s and 80s but mostly in the Bronx and parts of Brooklyn and Queens but its way down now.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:12 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I agree with you but NYC especially Manhattan real estate would never allow that, NYC has more millionaires than any place in the USA. NYC crime was high the 70s and 80s but mostly in the Bronx and parts of Brooklyn and Queens but its way down now.
Not true. Upper Manhattan had more drugs and crime than just about anywhere in NYC.
https://books.google.com/books?id=_O...20city&f=false

In fact, Harlem was nicknamed Dodge city and had the highest murder rate in NYC back in the 70's and 80's.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:07 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,036,841 times
Killeen Tx population 127,000 recorded its 20th homicide last night. That's a new record for the small town north 45 min of Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City