Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2015, 05:18 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,238,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
This thread is really interesting. I stumbled upon a website that display every reported shooting in the USA the past year, just enter the city and bam.
I took a look at San Francisco and... Man, just like DC, this city is split in half, the east part is where everything happen, 2/3rd of the city does not even see a single shooting... On the other side, Baltimore is a warzone

Gun map

Quote:
2/3 of San francisco did not even see a single shooting the past year
FYI, that's incorrect. That source has incomplete data (as it admits), and the data they have for SF is definitely incomplete. They only list 41 shootings in SF, but SF sees several hundred shootings per year (with anywhere from 100+ to 350+ nonfatal shooting victims per year between 2000-2014). Crime is obviously concentrated in certain parts of SF, including shootings (just like any other city), but even middle class and upper class areas see them now and then. Just last week, two people were just shot inside and next to Golden gate park in separate incidents, and stuff like that isn't exactly uncommon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 06:35 PM

448 posts, read 592,319 times
Baltimore at 342 now

Old 12-29-2015, 06:44 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,011,395 times
Quote:
You can fight as much as you want but at the end of the day, both Southside Chiraq and Oakland are very dangerous place that should put the emergency signal... And I would not live in neither of them

NYC is at 333 with 8.5 millions... Baltimore has more (I think 354) with only 650k... The bay area is about 300 with 7.5 millions... Both the bay and NYC are pretty safe... I would say the bay is kind of safer because a very smal part (Oakland) has about 1/3rd of the murder while in NYC is kind of spread out with Bronx having the worst rate but stand at about 5/100k while Oakland stand at about 20 / 25 per 100k.

So in the end, defend Oakland as much as you want but an Oaklandless bay area will have a murder rate of about 3/100k. After looking at the shooting map, It seems that the bay area is pretty safe, 2/3 of San francisco did not even see a single shooting the past year... All of them was on the east side (1/3rd) of the city. Kind of like DC where the west side did see just 1 shooting.

I just took a look at Chicago and even the north side sees some shootings there and there
LoL no one needs to "defend" Oakland. There is nothing to "defend". It's a small town with 400,000 people and less than 100 murders a year.

Food for thought: Oakland and SF could DOUBLE the amount of murders that they have now, and the bay area would still have fewer murders than Chicago.

There is really no other way to slice it. If it were not for the heroic actions of first responders and hospital staff, Chicago would be the murder capitol of the world.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:24 PM

142 posts, read 193,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbidy View Post
Baltimore at 342 now
343, somebody was shot this afternoon on garrison blvd. Numbers been increasing so quick you don't know how many it's been since the last victim smh

Old 12-29-2015, 08:23 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,635,195 times
ST.LOUIS

I was looking for year by year homicide numbers for St.Louis but couldn't find any. I did find this on Wikipedia;

1894 80 homicides

1901-1910 there were 804 homicides

1921 138 homicides

1915 police reported 74 homicides while the medical examiners reported 103.
After 1934 St.Louis reported crime statistics to the FBI.

2011 113 homicides.

Last edited by aliasfinn; 12-29-2015 at 08:34 PM..

Old 12-29-2015, 09:55 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Well allow me to help you. You're statistical likelyhood of getting shot in Chicagoland is much higher than it is in the bay area.
Yes, the City of Chicago vs the entire Bay Area you are more likely to get murdered. Although Chicago's MSA murder rate vs San Francisco's MSA isn't far apart, interestingly enough. The entire Bay I have no seen a statistic for, however.

Quote:
Your statistical likelyhood of being shot in Chicago is much higher than the likelyhood of getting shot anywhere in the entire bay area. Your statistical likelyhood of getting shot on the south side or west side is much, much higher than it would be in Oakland.
I haven't seen the shooting numbers for places like Oakland versus actual deaths, but we know for a fact that you're more likely to get killed in Oakland than in Chicago. Stockton could possibly be added to that list as well.

I'm also sure that if you broke off bad sections of Oakland and looked at the homicide rate for those areas that the rate would increase dramatically, so spare me the subdivision of Chicago into smaller entities instead of using the overall rate. That's what it's for.

Quote:
LoL no one needs to "defend" Oakland. There is nothing to "defend". It's a small town with 400,000 people and less than 100 murders a year.

Food for thought: Oakland and SF could DOUBLE the amount of murders that they have now, and the bay area would still have fewer murders than Chicago.

There is really no other way to slice it. If it were not for the heroic actions of first responders and hospital staff, Chicago would be the murder capitol of the world.
Since when did a city of 400,000 plus become small? Also murder capital of the world? Please. Chicago isn't even the murder capital of the United States, and it's not like other American cities have 3rd world medical facilities by comparison. But yes, please do continue to ignore Chicago's murder rate and focus on the raw number.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:05 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,011,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Yes, the City of Chicago vs the entire Bay Area you are more likely to get murdered. Although Chicago's MSA murder rate vs San Francisco's MSA isn't far apart, interestingly enough. The entire Bay I have no seen a statistic for, however.

I haven't seen the shooting numbers for places like Oakland versus actual deaths, but we know for a fact that you're more likely to get killed in Oakland than in Chicago. Stockton could possibly be added to that list as well.

I'm also sure that if you broke off bad sections of Oakland and looked at the homicide rate for those areas that the rate would increase dramatically, so spare me the subdivision of Chicago into smaller entities instead of using the overall rate. That's what it's for.

Since when did a city of 400,000 plus become small? Also murder capital of the world? Please. Chicago isn't even the murder capital of the United States, and it's not like other American cities have 3rd world medical facilities by comparison. But yes, please do continue to ignore Chicago's murder rate and focus on the raw number.

Chicago boosters be like, "A 400 person town in Iowa had a triple homicide. They have a higher murder rate than us!"

And Chicagoland and the Bay Area murder rates are far apart. Did you fail math as a child? The bay area has fewer murders than the City of Chicago. While throwing the suburbs in may help your cause, the rate is still going to be much much higher in Chicagoland.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:15 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
Quote:
Chicago boosters be like, "A 400 person town in Iowa had a triple homicide. They have a higher murder rate than us!"
Yes, because a city with more than 400,000 is somehow too small to calculate a rate per 100,000 people and compare

Quote:
And Chicagoland and the Bay Area murder rates are far apart. Did you fail math as a child? The bay area has fewer murders than the City of Chicago. While throwing the suburbs in may help your cause, the rate is still going to be much much higher in Chicagoland.
Chicago's MSA: 6.6 murders per 100,000
San Francisco's MSA: 4.6 murders per 100,000

Is that the whole Bay, no, but I also never claimed it would be because I haven't seen a complete Bay Area statistic. San Jose's MSA's rate is also half that of San Francisco's.

There's a thread on this using the in General Forum. Feel free to make your own calculations using the linked FBI data in the thread, math genius
//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...-capitals.html

Old 12-30-2015, 03:44 AM

391 posts, read 754,009 times
Why are people talking about having more murders being a good thing? Listened to too much rap music perhaps? You are not "hard" because there are a lot of murders in your city. You are you wherever you are.

Old 12-30-2015, 06:31 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,101,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svedski View Post
Why are people talking about having more murders being a good thing? Listened to too much rap music perhaps? You are not "hard" because there are a lot of murders in your city. You are you wherever you are.
Really haven't sensed that in this thread to any great extent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City