Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York vs Florida
New York 113 50.00%
Florida 113 50.00%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 03:45 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,952,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
I will give credit where credit is due. FL is nothing like many other Southern states. I went to check what pending bills in the state were big considerations this session. One was to restrict abortion access, but it died in the subcommittee on 5/3/19.
https://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Secti...9&SessionId=87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I will also give credit where credit is due. FL made the right move to kill it and yes as I stated earlier, FL is an attractive option for people moving who may not want the true "Southern Culture." But just b/c people ARE moving to FL, doesn't mean they are doing it willingly or are happy there. I am sure there ARE some NYers who are happy there but simply just moving to FL isn't enough for Floridians to say "oh people are moving here that means they like it" … b/c that is not always true.

Long Island happens to be pretty conservative but most of NY is not. It is the LIers who are moving so yeah for people who already have the conservative mindset, it may not be an issue to them.

FL is not for me. I personally don't like the weather or the landscape there and I wouldn't even think of moving to any state is not blue. That's just my own opinion. I am sure there are people who hate NY too.

In the interest of finding some common ground I will REP both of these posts. Sums up the differences nicely and succinctly for people wanting an honest look at NY vs FL in terms of the political spectrum.

Just really hate the strawmanning and lumping of FL in with the extreme Southern when considering our geography we're pretty darn moderate and most "conservatives" I know are of the libertarian live and let live variety.

BTW I'd never move to any state that isn't as purple as Florida because I love the left right balance, however I don't hate NY at all. From NYC to Niagra it's one awesome but often frigid place!!

Great people too, they are most of my neighbors for most of my life. Hate the Jets flag nextdoor but I digress...

Last edited by OrlFlaUsa; 05-15-2019 at 04:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 04:27 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,388,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
In the interest of finding some common ground I will REP both of these posts. Sums up the differences nicely and succinctly for people wanting an honest look at NY vs FL in terms of the political spectrum.

Just really hate the strawmanning and lumping of FL in with the extreme Southern when considering our geography we're pretty darn moderate and most "conservatives" I know are of the libertarian live and let live variety.

BTW I'd never move to any state that isn't as purple as Florida because I love the left right balance, however I don't hate NY at all. From NYC to Niagra it's one awesome but often frigid place!!

Great people too, they are most of my neighbors for most of my life. Hate the Jets flag nextdoor but I digress...
Most NYers are rational & can see the good & bad in every situation. I’m not someone who is gonna come on here & say “FL sucks” “NY rules” without real backing reasons.

NYS is exciting to me bc I love that within 10 minutes i’m @ the beach, 35 minutes i’m in NYC, 45-1hr i’m in rural farming towns & within 3 hours I’m in the Adirondacks.

I can ski, go to wineries, camping, beaches, orchards all without leaving my state.

But hey if FL works for people, cool beans

Old 07-20-2019, 07:14 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,847,734 times
Many people are leaving Fl for NC. There is that..

Old 07-20-2019, 07:27 PM

330 posts, read 294,784 times
New York State has the best city in the world, FL doesn’t. The end of discussion.

Just kidding.

Old 07-20-2019, 10:50 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,036,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnobbishDude View Post
New York State has the best city in the world, FL doesn’t. The end of discussion.

Just kidding.
Not everyone views NYC as the best city in the world.

Old 07-21-2019, 06:22 AM

37,161 posts, read 39,451,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Not everyone views NYC as the best city in the world.
Who said anything about NYC? It’s Buffalo, bruh.

Old 07-21-2019, 05:48 PM

330 posts, read 294,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Who said anything about NYC? It’s Buffalo, bruh.
Actually as a Los Angeleno, I found Upstate New York, despite being an entirely different beast from California, to be actually quite pleasing.

Buffalo is not as dangerous as I thought it would be, I walked alone in the downtown buffalo area at night, no problem at all. Also, being close to Niagara Falls is definitely another plus, despite the view on the US side is not as good as the one on the Canadian side.

Old 07-21-2019, 09:41 PM

23,552 posts, read 24,064,911 times
New York.

Old 07-22-2019, 08:32 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,454,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post

A point of curiosity (as someone whose father now lives in central FL but avoids visiting unless necessary): Aren't many of these "moderate conservatives" or libertarians in central FL transplants? Not that this disputes any of your points, other than considering North FL and the Panhandle. Aren't those areas more "truly southern" with fewer transplants and more of the "Religious Right" types?

Another point of curiosity: Do you still feel Florida has "left right balance" considering Republicans control both the governorship and state legislature?

Old 07-06-2020, 01:48 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,388,746 times
Compare how both states handled a major health pandemic.

Ny went from the worst in the country to the best. That should tell you something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City