Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York vs Florida
New York 113 50.00%
Florida 113 50.00%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 10:04 PM

131 posts, read 138,843 times

Advertisements

New York and Florida are both large states. Those two are arguably the two best known along the 95 corridor. Many people are flocking New York for Florida, and believe it or not, some people are moving back to New York from Florida. Both are very large states.

Florida is a very nice state. It has Disney World, Universal, Sea World, Aquatica in Orlando. Orlando is basically one big tourist trap, however. Miami is known for its rooftop parties and hardcore nightlife. Jacksonville and St Augustine are again very nice, but often get overlooked by Miami and Orlando. Florida also has its negatives. One example is the unbearable heat during the summer months. Floridas weather is basically warm season and very hot season. The heat also leads to the next two drawbacks, bugs and diseases. Lots of bugs swarm Florida. The diseases spread more in the tropical climate. Finally, my last big drawback in Florida is the lack of very good medical care and schools in Florida. Some schools and hospitals are good, but dont compare to the Northeast.

My choice is New York. The whole state of New York is beautiful. NYC is my favorite city in the world and not one of the large cities in Florida can offer the same amount of things NYC offers. Although I would never live in NYC. Another positive with New York is its natural things to do. The Adirondacks, Catskills, and Taconics are some of the best mountain ranges in the United States. That said, I still love the Blue Ridge Mountains in the Carolinas over New York mountains. One more positive with New York is also the mid-sized cities and small towns. Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse are often under looked because of New York City. And finally, the weather is much better in New York. The weather up here is less bland than in Florida. New York also has its negatives. The taxes, especially property taxes, are ridiculous compared to Florida. That said, the higher taxes bring better schools and healthcare.

My take, I will take New York any day over Florida. Although share your opinion on which state you prefer down below and vote in the poll
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 08:32 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,412,451 times
New York all the way. NYC and other good cities. Florida just isn't that great.

Old 07-05-2015, 03:48 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,619,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
New York all the way. NYC and other good cities. Florida just isn't that great.
I have to disagree! There aren't other two states who love each other ( well maybe Jersey!) as Florida and New York!
We **** on the I-95 corridor going north until we get to Newark and see the Manhattan skyline!

Old 07-05-2015, 08:01 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,154,770 times
I like Florida more simply because its my home state. I like football > basketball. Water activities > snow. Four interesting and diverse large cities.

When Buffalo and Rochester come back (they're pretty close) then this could potentially swing the other way despite my love for FL. NYC wins out with transit and walkability. Also with opportunity, diversity, arts and culture.

FL cities are improving on all of the above, and obviously have the better road infrastructure and maintenance, but we'll never catch up in those categories.

Old 07-05-2015, 03:21 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,889,980 times
New York

New York City alone is just too awesome and exciting to be overcome by anything in Florida
Florida for cost of living though

Old 07-05-2015, 03:38 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
I have to disagree! There aren't other two states who love each other ( well maybe Jersey!) as Florida and New York!
We **** on the I-95 corridor going north until we get to Newark and see the Manhattan skyline!

Yes, while careening from lane to lane at 90 mph trying to cover your eyes so you don't have to look at the South between Daytona Beach and D.C.

That's why the majority of cars pulled over up and down the entire I-95 corridor tend to be from Dade, Broward & Palm Beach Counties.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:19 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,655,346 times
If you wanna make more than $15/hour and have decent non-wage benefits and opportunities for professional growth, then New York is the clear winner.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:23 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,465,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
If you wanna make more than $15/hour and have decent non-wage benefits and opportunities for professional growth, then New York is the clear winner.
Why would anybody want to do that, then they have to pay more taxes for the leeches.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:52 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
I always felt that Florida is nice for a vacation, but New York is definitely the preferable state for living in.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:15 PM

215 posts, read 384,957 times
New York is my home state, and I have never been to Florida so I could not state my feelings on Fl. I don't have a huge, yearning desire to visit. When I want to go to a warm state with nice beaches and pretty scenery I go to California and cannot imagine what Florida would have that CA would not. Anyway, getting off track here..I voted for NY.

With all this said, in the dead of winter I don't think I would pass down a trip to Florida if it was offered to me!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City