Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York vs Florida
New York 113 50.00%
Florida 113 50.00%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 12:17 AM

1,798 posts, read 1,121,300 times

Advertisements

Being from the West Coast (California), one of the things I prioritize the most is diversity of landscapes. For this alone, I couldn't live in Florida. Everything just looks the same. The scenery just gets really monotonous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2019, 01:09 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,087,591 times
At first, my thoughts were this would easily be New York for me because of New York, the city, but then I remembered how expensive it is, or at least the parts within the state of New York I'd like to live in since I've been told suburban New York is more bland than suburban DFW somehow. I much rather live a financially secure life in a "more boring" city like Tampa (not calling it boring) than paycheck to paycheck, likely with a roommate, in New York. After New York, there isn't a single city in the state of New York I would ever live in; absolutely nothing wrong with the other cities, but they become too cold going north of New York and I also much prefer large cities, with the next city in New York being just over a million residents.

Florida, at least, has several other major cities behind Miami, which, like New York, is an exciting but pricey location. Tampa, Orlando, and Jacksonville are much more affordable than either city while also being large enough for me, except maybe Jacksonville which I've never visited. Plus, Florida also has the nice thunderstorms I have grown to love and enjoy.

As for picking a state for vacation, it is still a tie. Don't get me wrong, I love megacities, really enjoyed Tokyo, Seoul, Los Angeles, and I want to visit places like Moscow and Shanghai some day, but New York has never really been on my bucket list. I have been to New York a handful of times, but not long enough to consider it a proper visit. On the other hand, Disney World is on the list of places I definitely want to visit in my lifetime before I grow too old while I've also heard amazing things about Florida's beaches, all over the coasts.

Old 03-16-2019, 05:22 AM

7,407 posts, read 6,537,276 times
Both are great. There is nothing like Manhattan and then there are the great beach cities of FL. Personally, I’m a fan of the greater Miami area given its year round warm weather, exciting lifestyle and growing urban core that has its share of ex NY’ers (such as myself) aka “the sixth borough”—plus the fact we really have 2 urban areas (Miami/Brickell and Miami Beach) that are only 15-20 minutes apart from one another. Other people prefer other cities/towns in the state. Those state taxes and winters in NY are a killer but I still love visiting NYC and Long Island beaches in the summer. One of these years I need to make it back to Ithaca for a visit to my alma mater.

To the poster who claimed the summers are unbearable in FL, what city did you live in and how many miles inland?...I live on the water in Brickell and we get constant breezes all but 5-7 days of the year, making the summers—to me—tolerable bordering on outright enjoyable (and I moved here from San Diego). This has been the most pleasant surprise to me.

also, chuckling about the references to a $8-15/hour jobs that some think are the only ones available in FL—as evidenced by all the Aston Martins, McLarens, Lambos and $2-45M condos throughout SoFla...LMAO—no money here whatsoever. No doctors, attorneys, real estate developers, bankers, small business owners, wealthy transplants, etc etc either.

Last edited by elchevere; 03-16-2019 at 06:44 AM..

Old 03-16-2019, 07:29 AM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
At first, my thoughts were this would easily be New York for me because of New York, the city, but then I remembered how expensive it is, or at least the parts within the state of New York I'd like to live in since I've been told suburban New York is more bland than suburban DFW somehow. I much rather live a financially secure life in a "more boring" city like Tampa (not calling it boring) than paycheck to paycheck, likely with a roommate, in New York. After New York, there isn't a single city in the state of New York I would ever live in; absolutely nothing wrong with the other cities, but they become too cold going north of New York and I also much prefer large cities, with the next city in New York being just over a million residents.

Florida, at least, has several other major cities behind Miami, which, like New York, is an exciting but pricey location. Tampa, Orlando, and Jacksonville are much more affordable than either city while also being large enough for me, except maybe Jacksonville which I've never visited. Plus, Florida also has the nice thunderstorms I have grown to love and enjoy.

As for picking a state for vacation, it is still a tie. Don't get me wrong, I love megacities, really enjoyed Tokyo, Seoul, Los Angeles, and I want to visit places like Moscow and Shanghai some day, but New York has never really been on my bucket list. I have been to New York a handful of times, but not long enough to consider it a proper visit. On the other hand, Disney World is on the list of places I definitely want to visit in my lifetime before I grow too old while I've also heard amazing things about Florida's beaches, all over the coasts.
Suburban NYC in NY State varies due to having suburban cities and villages with walk ability that could be standalone communities themselves. Places like the southern and Rivertown villages/cities in Westchester County; Nyack/South Nyack, Haverstraw/West Haverstraw and Suffern in Rockland County and many villages/cities throughout Long Island. So, that aspect varies.

Also, if you took the regions/CSA’s along the I-90 corridor in Upstate NY, it would have more population than about half the states in the country(about 4.5 million people in that corridor). Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse and Albany are the heart of CSA’s/regions with over 1 million people.

Old 03-16-2019, 07:37 AM

37,123 posts, read 39,337,475 times
NYS has a lot of interesting topography and some great hiking. There are also many beautiful towns and small cities, some down on their luck, but some doing well and full of character.

Old 03-16-2019, 09:15 AM

7,407 posts, read 6,537,276 times
One such example is Beacon—artsy, Bohemian town a good friend of mine lives in.

http://escapebrooklyn.com/beacon-ny/

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
NYS has a lot of interesting topography and some great hiking. There are also many beautiful towns and small cities, some down on their luck, but some doing well and full of character.

Old 03-16-2019, 01:19 PM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
One such example is Beacon—artsy, Bohemian town a good friend of mine lives in.

A Guide to Beacon, NY - ESCAPE BROOKLYN
A nice, walkable Main Street and nice mix of folks as well: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5082...6!9m2!1b1!2i38

City Council, City of Beacon, NY
https://s4.ad.brown.edu/projects/div...cityid=3605100
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...york/PST045218

Access to NYC via the Metro North too: MNR Stations
Page Unavailable
MNR Map

A favorite of mine: https://nyack-ny.gov/
https://nyack-ny.gov/village-trustees/
Visit Nyack, New York | One Visit Will Capture Your Heart.
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...york/PST045218

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.0910...2!9m2!1b1!2i38

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-16-2019 at 01:40 PM..

Old 03-16-2019, 02:13 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
NY for me.

Florida is flat, hot, humid, a hurricane playground, and has a crime rate that comparatively makes NY look like a Utopia.

As much as I dislike about NY, we have changing terrain at the very least.

Old 03-16-2019, 03:39 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Florida

Old 03-17-2019, 11:18 AM

17,122 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post

also, chuckling about the references to a $8-15/hour jobs that some think are the only ones available in FL—as evidenced by all the Aston Martins, McLarens, Lambos and $2-45M condos throughout SoFla...LMAO—no money here whatsoever. No doctors, attorneys, real estate developers, bankers, small business owners, wealthy transplants, etc etc either.
THis. Makes me chuckle every time I see such claims. I live in Orlando, and the place is filled with wealthy people. Considering how everyone constantly posts about how “suburbish” and car-centric the place is, who is buying up all of these houses? And who is driving the cars? I find it hard to believe that people making $8-$15 are living like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City