Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York vs Florida
New York 113 50.00%
Florida 113 50.00%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 05:34 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
New York vs. New York South. I call it a draw.
This, exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 11:42 PM

821 posts, read 761,314 times
Man this is tough. Really hate both states. If I had to make a choice, would have to be Florida. More growth, less taxes, less expensive. There is a reason over 1 million people have fled NY the past decade and many ended up in Florida...

Old 04-25-2019, 05:08 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoseph View Post
Man this is tough. Really hate both states. If I had to make a choice, would have to be Florida. More growth, less taxes, less expensive. There is a reason over 1 million people have fled NY the past decade and many ended up in Florida...
Many just go to adjacent states like NJ, PA and CT, while still working in NYC or other nearby parts of NY too.

Also, NY State outside of the parts in the NYC really isn’t expensive, but around the national average, give or take.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:54 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,712,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Looking at the census numbers it looks like New Yorkers aren't too fond of their state winch is bleeding to you guessed it Florida! Even the NYS governor blamed Florida for "stealing" residents. On here you'd think Florida was a hated state, but looking at the numbers mote people move to Florida than any other state every single year. Lol
They flee for the same reason people flee CA, cost of living and taxes. If not for their elected politicians/laws, both states are great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Also, NY State outside of the parts in the NYC really isn’t expensive, but around the national average, give or take.
Maybe when it comes to housing its true, but upstate has the same state taxes which are crushing it.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
They flee for the same reason people flee CA, cost of living and taxes. If not for their elected politicians/laws, both states are great.

Maybe when it comes to housing its true, but upstate has the same state taxes which are crushing it.
Even with the taxes(rates-key word), Upstate is still way more affordable than Downstate and is on par with many areas of the South. An example of this, which includes property tax rates: https://www.nahb.org/en/research/hou...ity-index.aspx (click on the 4th section to see what I am referring to)

Also, a price parity map: https://www.businessinsider.com/regi...ity-map-2016-7

Then, there is the aspect of pay: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oessrcma.htm#N and in turn, what you are now seeing is that a lot of baby boomers are retiring and there are job openings occurring because of it. Hence, some of the information I've posted in the NY forum about teacher and bus driver openings, as well as an article in the Buffalo News stating how companies are trying to recruit workers to the area, as people retire. So, there are positions available to those open enough to take them in that part of the state.

Wage info for Florida: https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oessrcma.htm#F

Old 04-25-2019, 09:40 AM

242 posts, read 174,424 times
As a state,New York isn't a top 3 powerhouse.

Now of course NYC is the ultimate tier if we're talking cities and there's probably no city in Florida or even America outside of Los Angeles and Chicago that can go toe to toe with New York.

But we're talking a totally different level if we're talking state's.And Florida is a top dog state without question.
As great as NYC is, it's not enough to trump a great state like Florida.

The Big 3 goes,

California
Texas
Florida

Those are the top 3 states in any order you want to rank them and I think most will agree.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:44 AM

242 posts, read 174,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
This, exactly.
What's funny about New York,is that outside of New York the city... there's not another city on a top tier level and that's how I rank state's from best to worst.

Outside of Miami,we still have Orlando and Tampa,
I'm sure California and Texas can say the same things.

Like these state's offer you more than 1 top tier city and that's what knocks New York out of a top tier state in my opinion.

Even the Carolina's and Georgia are great as state's.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy310 View Post
As a state,New York isn't a top 3 powerhouse.

Now of course NYC is the ultimate tier if we're talking cities and there's probably no city in Florida or even America outside of Los Angeles and Chicago that can go toe to toe with New York.

But we're talking a totally different level if we're talking state's.And Florida is a top dog state without question.
As great as NYC is, it's not enough to trump a great state like Florida.

The Big 3 goes,

California
Texas
Florida

Those are the top 3 states in any order you want to rank them and I think most will agree.
What are you referring to outside of population? For instance, some GDP numbers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...itories_by_GDP

Even if you took the NYC metro portion of NY State out, the GDP for the rest of the state would be on par with states such as Maryland, Indiana and Minnesota, if I'm not mistaken. This is in spite of all of the issues, real and/or perceived, about Upstate NY.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:30 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,351,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy310 View Post
What's funny about New York,is that outside of New York the city... there's not another city on a top tier level and that's how I rank state's from best to worst.

Outside of Miami,we still have Orlando and Tampa,
I'm sure California and Texas can say the same things.

Like these state's offer you more than 1 top tier city and that's what knocks New York out of a top tier state in my opinion.

Even the Carolina's and Georgia are great as state's.
That's such a stupid way of ranking states. So because NYC is by far and away the most important city in NY and the country, NY as a state is worse than Florida, the Carolinas and Georgia? Lol yeah for sure bud. Therefore, Washington, Hawaii, Oregon, Utah, Colorado, Illinois, Minnesota, Indiana, and Massachusetts suck too?

What do Georgia or the Carolinas have outside of Atlanta/Charlotte/Raleigh that compares to Albany, Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse? I'm not saying Syracuse is great. But if I were to rank NY cities outside of the NYC Metro, it would be Buffalo>Albany>Rochester>Syracuse. And even with Syracuse being 4th place, it's still a pretty solid city with a metro of 650k and a great university.

The reason CA and TX can say the're better than NY is because their top cities are some of the world's biggest powerhouses. LA, SF, Dallas, and Houston and 4 of the most important metro areas in the country and compete on a world scale for economies and importance. Orlando has a good economy, but it's not considered world-quality. And Tampa is blegh. Orlando and Tampa are not even close to the importance of SF/SD (top two outside LA) or whatever we put in second and third in Texas. I don't want a debate over Dallas/Houston, so let's just say whichever takes second plus Austin is better than Orlando + Tampa. Then NY comes after because NYC is by far and away the better city over Miami, whereas the CA and TX cities aren't all that far behind NYC. Orlando may be doing better than Buffalo, but I don't see Buffalo as this unimportant backwater decrepit city that people make it out to be and it's definitely better than Tampa for actual living.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:48 AM

7,410 posts, read 6,556,774 times
Garden City, Long Island and surrounding areas of Nassau County would compete as the top dog city in many states...not sure why some are quick to write off a suburban area that rivals others urban areas. It’s not just NYC and upstate NY either....this is without even discussing Long Island beaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City