Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York vs Florida
New York 113 50.00%
Florida 113 50.00%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 09:08 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,357,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
What the California tourist industry conveniently forgets to tell potential beach tourists is the Pacific Ocean in Southern California is almost too cold to swim in, even in the summertime without a wetsuit. The Pacific Ocean is about 20 degrees cooler than the Atlantic Ocean and Gulf Of Mexico in Florida.
Even NY has warmer water temperatures in summer than SoCal lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 09:22 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,565,413 times
Not to mention it is a shorter 3 hour flight from NY vs a 6 hour cross country flight, is home to the cruise capital of the world, is within a relatively short connection to 20+ Caribbean islands, Cancun, and elsewhere, and has consistently warmer air temperatures than SoCal from mid November through mid April....as for scenery, turquoise waters and impressive skylines (will I get banned from CD for using that word??), at least in Miami, with luscious foliage and palm trees isn’t chopped liver not to mention fine white sand on the Gulf Coast.

I love, both, NY and FL and am too lazy this morning to look up but I would be willing to bet there are far more NY’ers relocating to FL (such as myself, though I took a circuitous route via CA) than vice versa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Even NY has warmer water temperatures in summer than SoCal lol

Old 05-07-2019, 09:35 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,357,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Not to mention it is a shorter 3 hour flight from NY vs a 6 hour cross country flight, is home to the cruise capital of the world, is within a relatively short connection to 20+ Caribbean islands, Cancun, and elsewhere, and has consistently warmer air temperatures than SoCal from mid November through mid April....as for scenery, turquoise waters and impressive skylines (will I get banned from CD for using that word??), at least in Miami, with luscious foliage and palm trees isn’t chopped liver not to mention fine white sand on the Gulf Coast.

I love, both, NY and FL and am too lazy this morning to look up but I would be willing to bet there are far more NY’ers relocating to FL (such as myself, though I took a circuitous route via CA) than vice versa.
Don't get me wrong. I know I've talked bad about Orlando on this thread. But as a native Californian now living in NJ, I'd choose moving to Miami over anything in CA. It's just not worth the price to me anymore since I grew up with it all. And if I'm ever moving somewhere for beaches, I might as well go to the best beaches.

From what I see, young people in NYC seem to pick CA over FL. Upstate NY picks FL over CA. NJ splits pretty evenly. That's just from my personal observations and experiences as a millennial knowing other millennials. Middle-aged and elderly people definitely prefer FL over CA due to the COL.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:50 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,565,413 times
^ ^ ^

Yup, that’s what I did...though I chose to relocate to Miami following 30 years in SoCal more for excitement and lifestyle rather than COL (which is almost on par cost wise with San Diego, but QOL is much better)...Santa Monica would be higher COL.

Last edited by elchevere; 05-07-2019 at 09:59 AM..

Old 05-07-2019, 10:34 AM

17,208 posts, read 15,428,659 times
I'll add a little to what I was saying about Orlando (Florida cities in general.)
The Orlando area DOES have some ugly suburban hell. I'm not denying that. The aforementioned Lake Nona, as well as pretty much everything East of the 417 (Sanford not included) is hideous IMO.

However, one can easily avoid those areas. There are some pretty nice urban areas around the core, where everything IS accessible on foot.

Just today, roller-blading from South Eola on my lunch break, I crossed through quite a few of those, and can easily stop and grab lunch, hit the gym, or just enjoy some parks while never needing to get in a car. The city has done quite a solid job in recent years connecting these neighborhoods with pedestrian bridge crossings, wider sidewalks, and bike trails throughout. It's not nearly as bad as some make it out to be. (pictures taken today. I started well behind the buildings in the distance. Bottom pictures are about a mile North of the top one, still going away from downtown.)

This goes on for quite a few miles, through several different neighborhoods. And it's not including places right next to this, including College Park to the West, Baldwin Park to the East, and Winter Park to the North.

If one chooses to live in "suburban hell," that's their choice. There are plenty of alternatives.

Last edited by Arcenal813; 05-07-2019 at 11:04 AM..

Old 05-07-2019, 10:58 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,952,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
I will give you Mt. Dora and St Augustine as two small towns with a lot of character, and I already mentioned Key West. The others look much more sprawling than most NYS small towns, offer less historic architecture, etc. Beach side condo high rises are not my idea of small town charm. To be clear, this is just my preference, but I think that's what this thread is about.

Point is, in Florida, the charming, historic and unsprawling cities are few and far between compared to New York. There is just way too much new development in Florida. Just look at the towns throughout the Finger Lakes Region : Ithaca, Geneva, Watkins Glen, Seneca Falls, Corning, Cooperstown, Canadaigua, Penn Yan, Hammondsport, etc. They all feature small, historic downtowns. This doesn't even get to other parts of the state like Saratoga Springs, Saranac Lake, Lake Tupper, Tuper Lake, and so on.

The weather is again a preference. Yes, the weather is nice at times of the year just like weather is nice at times of the year in New York. I prefer four strong, distinct seasons to warm (mild) and hot. Not sure how it is much more variable in most of the state, other than the presence of storms and hurricanes. If that is your preference, then great!

Yep, Florida surely has natural beauty. I just prefer New York's. I love outdoor recreation and much prefer climbing a high mountain (and the reward of the view at the end), skiing and lakes to what Florida has. To each their own.
I was just nameing towns off the top of my head. And I assume you're referencing NSB when you say beachside condo towers. I was def talking about the Flagler Ave stretch which is a quaint but alive Main St with shops, cafes, surf rentals, bars, and more, that leads directly down to the ocean. Nothing better than a few brews at The Booty and a nice stroll on the beach up to the inlet/jetty to people watch.

I'll agree it's preference but Florida definitely has plenty of charming small towns all over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Literally nobody I know has anything good to say about Orlando. If Orlando is brought up at all, it's either for Disney or being the epitome of suburban hell. Maybe other social circles like Orlando, but nobody in mine does. New Yorkers and New Jerseyans that I know all go to Miami because it's the most non-Florida part of Florida.
I'm willing to bet most of those people you're talking about have never set foot in downtown Orlando, or one of our core neighborhoods, and have formed their perception from the attractions area. I mean NYC is just chain restaurants, neon signs, naked people with guitars, and overpriced tourist stores right??

Enjoy Miami, I get that on the surface it looks like the best FL has to offer but many (myself included) just don't get the appeal of living there full time.The incorrect correlation between denser development and vibrancy is often made by outsiders from the NE where that statement is almost always true.

Last edited by OrlFlaUsa; 05-07-2019 at 11:36 AM..

Old 05-07-2019, 11:33 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,952,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I'll add a little to what I was saying about Orlando (Florida cities in general.)
The Orlando area DOES have some ugly suburban hell. I'm not denying that. The aforementioned Lake Nona, as well as pretty much everything East of the 417 (Sanford not included) is hideous IMO.

However, one can easily avoid those areas. There are some pretty nice urban areas around the core, where everything IS accessible on foot.

Just today, roller-blading from South Eola on my lunch break, I crossed through quite a few of those, and can easily stop and grab lunch, hit the gym, or just enjoy some parks while never needing to get in a car. The city has done quite a solid job in recent years connecting these neighborhoods with pedestrian bridge crossings, wider sidewalks, and bike trails throughout. It's not nearly as bad as some make it out to be. (pictures taken today. I started well behind the buildings in the distance. Bottom pictures are about a mile North of the top one, still going away from downtown.)

This goes on for quite a few miles, through several different neighborhoods. And it's not including places right next to this, including College Park to the West, Baldwin Park to the East, and Winter Park to the North.

If one chooses to live in "suburban hell," that's their choice. There are plenty of alternatives.
Nice pics. I'm assuming you took the Orlando Urban Trail aka O.U.T. to Mills Park area??

Old 05-07-2019, 10:52 PM

700 posts, read 422,700 times
Im a native New Yorker (NYC) and I am sure aside from NYC I would choose Florida over the state of NY anyday of the week. But of course I love my hometown NYC more than any city in Florida.

Old 05-08-2019, 06:59 AM

93,414 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveFashion View Post
Im a native New Yorker (NYC) and I am sure aside from NYC I would choose Florida over the state of NY anyday of the week. But of course I love my hometown NYC more than any city in Florida.
Just curious, but why would that be the case?

Old 05-09-2019, 10:39 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,525,745 times
Florida in the future will be very old, and very Republican. Same for any other state old people move to in droves. At least the overpopulation caused by the baby boomers will be relegated to the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City