Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2021, 01:51 PM

3,940 posts, read 2,250,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I've never been to Denver, but I have been to Philadelphia and liked it a lot. While both places would probably be a bit of a culture shock if I had to live and raise my family there, I think I'd have an easier time adjusting to Philadelphia. I also like how the city has so much civic pride. I guess I'd pick Philadelphia.

Going back to the lesser known college town theme:

Greenville, North Carolina or Conway, South Carolina?
Greenville because I prefer NC. Enid OK or Salina, KS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2021, 08:50 PM

899 posts, read 529,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Greenville because I prefer NC. Enid OK or Salina, KS?
I slightly prefer Enid due to lower crime and cost of living. Both are very similar, though.

Gardner, Kansas or De Soto, Kansas?

Old 10-26-2021, 12:45 AM

4,781 posts, read 3,082,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by General I80 View Post
I slightly prefer Enid due to lower crime and cost of living. Both are very similar, though.

Gardner, Kansas or De Soto, Kansas?
Gardner... it has four times the population of De Soto and is closer to an interstate highway.

Which north-of-the-San-Gabriels metro area:

Lancaster/Palmdale CA, or Victorville/Apple Valley CA?

Old 10-26-2021, 07:23 AM

13,772 posts, read 8,081,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Which north-of-the-San-Gabriels metro area:

Lancaster/Palmdale CA, or Victorville/Apple Valley CA?
Victorville/Apple Valley because it's not in LA County.

Barre, Vermont or Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania?

Old 10-26-2021, 09:54 AM

2,567 posts, read 2,905,230 times
Quote:
Victorville/Apple Valley because it's not in LA County.

Barre, Vermont or Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania?
Wilkes-Barre... Would prefer to live in the larger city/metro that's less regionally isolated from other places of note.

Annapolis, MD or Ann Arbor, MI?

Old 10-26-2021, 11:17 AM

3,502 posts, read 3,424,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Wilkes-Barre... Would prefer to live in the larger city/metro that's less regionally isolated from other places of note.

Annapolis, MD or Ann Arbor, MI?
Annapolis, since it has milder winters. Nothing against Ann Arbor as I like that town, just saying one does tired of Midwest winters after so many years of enduring them! And while I have no doubt Annapolis at times gets snow, I imagine it doesn't snow or get cold (including wind chills) as badly in Annapolis.

Btw to the person who mentioned those 2 areas,, Lancaster/Palmdale and Victorville/Apple Valley are more like micropolitan areas, per the Census Bureau.

Lower COL places, not too far from boom areas that still seem a little less discovered for now: Prineville, OR, or Columbia, TN?

Old 10-26-2021, 11:25 AM

13,772 posts, read 8,081,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Prineville, OR, or Columbia, TN?
Columbia. It's a place I could easily see myself living. I'd be much more comfortable there than I would be in Oregon.

Pensacola, Florida or Greenville, South Carolina?

Old 10-26-2021, 12:55 PM

3,502 posts, read 3,424,658 times
Quote:
Columbia. It's a place I could easily see myself living. I'd be much more comfortable there than I would be in Oregon.

Pensacola, Florida or Greenville, South Carolina?
I suspect Pensacola would be nice to live in, but don't think I can deal with the risk of hurricanes. So Greenville, it is. Even if theoretically there was a reduced risk of hurricanes from historical hurricane path maps for Pensacola(a la how Jacksonville, Brunswick, GA, and other places in that inward bend Atlantic coast area north of St. Augustine have had fewer hits historically from hurricanes), I'd rather live near mountains over beaches.

Saint Joseph, MO, or Fort Smith, AR?

Old 10-26-2021, 02:06 PM

14,340 posts, read 9,222,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
I suspect Pensacola would be nice to live in, but don't think I can deal with the risk of hurricanes. So Greenville, it is. Even if theoretically there was a reduced risk of hurricanes from historical hurricane path maps for Pensacola(a la how Jacksonville, Brunswick, GA, and other places in that inward bend Atlantic coast area north of St. Augustine have had fewer hits historically from hurricanes), I'd rather live near mountains over beaches.

Saint Joseph, MO, or Fort Smith, AR?
Tossup. If proximity to a major city matters, then St. Joseph, which has a number of attractive neighborhoods connected by a lattice of green — the city's parkways, which mimic the larger system in Kansas City 50 miles to the southwest. But if it's the city itself you want to focus on, then Fort Smith, which strikes me as both livelier than St. Joseph and having a better future ahead of it.

Leavenworth, Kan., or Leavenworth, Wash.?

Old 10-26-2021, 03:18 PM

4,781 posts, read 3,082,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Tossup. If proximity to a major city matters, then St. Joseph, which has a number of attractive neighborhoods connected by a lattice of green — the city's parkways, which mimic the larger system in Kansas City 50 miles to the southwest. But if it's the city itself you want to focus on, then Fort Smith, which strikes me as both livelier than St. Joseph and having a better future ahead of it.

Leavenworth, Kan., or Leavenworth, Wash.?
This choice is too easy, MarketStEl.

The one in WA!

The faux-Bavaria thing might get old quickly, but look at the nearby landscape:
www.google.com/maps/@47.5730071,-120.696019,3a,75y,113.66h,92.32t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipNTG6pdcPiPSsUcxiy-lS-T3SDDPtduWDOcYlDJ!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.goog leusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipNTG6pdcPiPSsUcxiy-lS-T3SDDPtduWDOcYlDJ%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi-0-ya335-ro-0-fo100!7i8704!8i4352

Two snowy places:

Duluth, Minn or Bozeman, MT?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City