Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2021, 11:15 AM

7,780 posts, read 10,202,415 times

Advertisements

Interesting one cause it pits two cities that I find intriguing but that I know would take a miracle of sorts for my wife to consider. Ultimately, for us both Pittsburgh would just offer a bit more...larger city, prettier vantage points around downtown, better transit, and most importantly, a much bigger tech scene. So Pittsburgh.

San Diego v St Petersburg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2021, 05:58 PM

9,718 posts, read 9,477,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Interesting one cause it pits two cities that I find intriguing but that I know would take a miracle of sorts for my wife to consider. Ultimately, for us both Pittsburgh would just offer a bit more...larger city, prettier vantage points around downtown, better transit, and most importantly, a much bigger tech scene. So Pittsburgh.

San Diego v St Petersburg
San Diego due to better culture. The downtown also offers more things to do.

Chattanooga, TN or Wilmington, DE?

Old 10-20-2021, 07:01 PM

6,431 posts, read 5,079,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
San Diego due to better culture. The downtown also offers more things to do.

Tough one. I was guessing Wilmington would have a higher percentage of the population with a bachelor's degree, but Chattanooga is actually slightly higher (35% vs. 31%). On the other hand, streetviewing around them now, Wilmington's downtown is more vibrant than I was expecting, while Chattanooga's has a lot of dead zones. I think I'll take Chattanooga, despite and actually because of Wilmington being so close to Philly and Baltimore --- if I lived in Wilmington, I'd probably just wish I were in one of those cities all the time. Chattanooga is also growing faster currently, although a lot of the edge cities around Philly have been growing and gentrifying in recent years (Newark, Reading, York, Lancaster), so I'd expect the same will be happening to Wilmington soon if it isn't already.

Yreka, CA or Vernal, UT?

Old 10-20-2021, 07:02 PM

864 posts, read 710,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Wilmington for being so close to a major city (Philadelphia).

Grand Rapids or Hartford?

Old 10-20-2021, 08:58 PM

16,587 posts, read 10,726,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Yreka, CA or Vernal, UT?
Never heard of either of them, but Utah is very high on my list of desirable states in which to live, while California is in the bottom five. So, Vernal it is. Hope I'll like living there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey the Otter View Post
Grand Rapids or Hartford?
Grand Rapids, all day, every day. It's a surprisingly enjoyable city with a growing future and generally friendly people, in an otherwise fairly uncrowded little corner of the world. Hartford, on the other hand, is not particularly appealing. Moreover, Connecticut is one of the other states on my bottom-five list.

And now, the two cities on opposite ends of Interstate 86: Erie, PA or Binghamton, NY?

Old 10-21-2021, 01:35 AM

3,495 posts, read 3,417,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Never heard of either of them, but Utah is very high on my list of desirable states in which to live, while California is in the bottom five. So, Vernal it is. Hope I'll like living there!

Grand Rapids, all day, every day. It's a surprisingly enjoyable city with a growing future and generally friendly people, in an otherwise fairly uncrowded little corner of the world. Hartford, on the other hand, is not particularly appealing. Moreover, Connecticut is one of the other states on my bottom-five list.

And now, the two cities on opposite ends of Interstate 86: Erie, PA or Binghamton, NY?
This was a tough one, since both cities are similar in certain ways. That said I think I'll go with Erie, since number one that the cost of living is a little bit cheaper. Number 2, is that the weather temps don't get as cold in Erie, as they do in Binghamton. And to me, I'd LOVE to explore Presque Isle State Park a LOT more myself. Same with also some of the nearby towns and cities, i.e. Lakewood and Jamestown in NY state, Meadville(PA), and not being far from either Cleveland or Buffalo, and Pittsburgh isn't too much further away. Or for that matter, also Ontario(Canada) between Toronto, Hamilton, down to Niagara Falls. One final bonus, is that Amtrak has a train(Lake Shore Limited) that stops in Erie.

Penn Yan, NY, or Seneca Falls, NY?

Old 10-21-2021, 04:27 AM

2,566 posts, read 2,900,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
This was a tough one, since both cities are similar in certain ways. That said I think I'll go with Erie, since number one that the cost of living is a little bit cheaper. Number 2, is that the weather temps don't get as cold in Erie, as they do in Binghamton. And to me, I'd LOVE to explore Presque Isle State Park a LOT more myself. Same with also some of the nearby towns and cities, i.e. Lakewood and Jamestown in NY state, Meadville(PA), and not being far from either Cleveland or Buffalo, and Pittsburgh isn't too much further away. Or for that matter, also Ontario(Canada) between Toronto, Hamilton, down to Niagara Falls. One final bonus, is that Amtrak has a train(Lake Shore Limited) that stops in Erie.

Penn Yan, NY, or Seneca Falls, NY?
Seneca Falls for its closer proximity to Syracuse, Rochester, and I-90.

Mt. Vernon, IL or Mt. Vernon, OH?

Old 10-21-2021, 08:06 AM

3,495 posts, read 3,417,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Seneca Falls for its closer proximity to Syracuse, Rochester, and I-90.

Mt. Vernon, IL or Mt. Vernon, OH?
I'd pick Mt. Vernon, Ohio no question. I street viewed both places now, and for sure the one in Ohio had a nicer downtown. Even though part of me wonders if some of the streets running through its downtown are a little wide, and could be road dieted just at least a little bit?

Plus it isn't as far to a bigger city and metro(Columbus), vs. the fact it'd be further to go to a bigger micropolitan or metropolitan area with more things to do from the one in Illinois(either Carbondale, or Saint Louis). Granted I suppose Marion, IL isn't far away(appears to only be a 40ish minute drive), but I'd be skeptical there would be as many things to do in that town vs. Carbondale. I.e. myself knowing the fact they had an indoor mall(Illinois Star Centre) that shuttered their inside a few years ago, and that today it ONLY has a few anchors left(i.e. Dillard's, Target, and a movie theater) you can enter from the outside. And honestly at the end of the day, I'd rather be closer to Columbus.

Let's try another comparison with both towns sharing a name, but being in different states. I'll be honest that I have NOT looked up the latter town much myself before, but thought it might be interesting to street view(and look at its stats) myself. Anyway: Ottawa, IL, or Ottawa, KS?

Old 10-22-2021, 04:17 AM

14,317 posts, read 9,198,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
I'd pick Mt. Vernon, Ohio no question. I street viewed both places now, and for sure the one in Ohio had a nicer downtown. Even though part of me wonders if some of the streets running through its downtown are a little wide, and could be road dieted just at least a little bit?

Plus it isn't as far to a bigger city and metro(Columbus), vs. the fact it'd be further to go to a bigger micropolitan or metropolitan area with more things to do from the one in Illinois(either Carbondale, or Saint Louis). Granted I suppose Marion, IL isn't far away(appears to only be a 40ish minute drive), but I'd be skeptical there would be as many things to do in that town vs. Carbondale. I.e. myself knowing the fact they had an indoor mall(Illinois Star Centre) that shuttered their inside a few years ago, and that today it ONLY has a few anchors left(i.e. Dillard's, Target, and a movie theater) you can enter from the outside. And honestly at the end of the day, I'd rather be closer to Columbus.

Let's try another comparison with both towns sharing a name, but being in different states. I'll be honest that I have NOT looked up the latter town much myself before, but thought it might be interesting to street view(and look at its stats) myself. Anyway: Ottawa, IL, or Ottawa, KS?
I'm somewhat familiar with one of those two, having gone on Sunday drives to it with my grandparents growing up.

The Kansas Ottawa is a little bit closer to its nearest major city (Kansas City) than the Illinois one is to its (Chicago), but the Illinois one is just a tad bigger, and its downtown a bit more substantial. Rivers split both in two — the Illinois for Ottawa, Ill., and the Marais des Cygnes for Ottawa, Kan. Ottawa, Kan., has some nice residential districts across the river from downtown, and it has a university, but I think the quality of the downtown gives the edge to the Illinois town.

Keeping in this same territory: We could set up an NCAA-style bracket and have the many places in this country with this name compete in the tournament. I think these are the two largest of them, or maybe the one in Illinois clocks one or both:

Springfield, Mo., or Springfield, Mass.

Old 10-22-2021, 01:57 PM

899 posts, read 528,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I'm somewhat familiar with one of those two, having gone on Sunday drives to it with my grandparents growing up.

The Kansas Ottawa is a little bit closer to its nearest major city (Kansas City) than the Illinois one is to its (Chicago), but the Illinois one is just a tad bigger, and its downtown a bit more substantial. Rivers split both in two — the Illinois for Ottawa, Ill., and the Marais des Cygnes for Ottawa, Kan. Ottawa, Kan., has some nice residential districts across the river from downtown, and it has a university, but I think the quality of the downtown gives the edge to the Illinois town.

Keeping in this same territory: We could set up an NCAA-style bracket and have the many places in this country with this name compete in the tournament. I think these are the two largest of them, or maybe the one in Illinois clocks one or both:

Springfield, Mo., or Springfield, Mass.
Springfield, Missouri is cheaper. Although it’s more dangerous, it’s easier to buy a gun in Missouri.

Saratoga Springs, New York or Saratoga Springs, Utah?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City