Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2021, 10:18 PM

6,440 posts, read 5,095,807 times

Advertisements

New Haven. One of the best locations in the country for day/weekend trips. I also have an old friend/coworker there.

Scranton, PA or Lawrence, KS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2021, 05:03 AM

3,502 posts, read 3,426,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
New Haven. One of the best locations in the country for day/weekend trips. I also have an old friend/coworker there.

Scranton, PA or Lawrence, KS?
Lawrence. Mainly since it'd have milder winters, and I like it's proximity to KC. Although I do like how Scranton has the railroad museum Steamtown(IIRC it's name, it's next to a downtown mall which has struggled for years), which may be cool to visit. And isn't far from Binghamton and slightly further, both the Ithaca and Finger Lakes areas.

Hays, KS, or Chadron, NE?

Old 07-04-2021, 07:12 AM

2,570 posts, read 2,906,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Lawrence. Mainly since it'd have milder winters, and I like it's proximity to KC. Although I do like how Scranton has the railroad museum Steamtown(IIRC it's name, it's next to a downtown mall which has struggled for years), which may be cool to visit. And isn't far from Binghamton and slightly further, both the Ithaca and Finger Lakes areas.

Hays... It's a larger town (20k vs 5k) that's a little less regionally isolated and also has slightly warmer weather year-round.

Cortez, CO or Taos, NM?

Old 07-04-2021, 11:44 AM

14,343 posts, read 9,225,961 times
Quote:

I forget whether Scranton is on the inland or seaward side of the jet stream, but in the winter, the jet stream dips to the south such that just about all of the Central Plains is to its north, which means colder winters. Scranton being north of Philadelphia and also sitting at a higher elevation (it's the biggest city in Northeast Pennsylvania, which is adjacent to the Pocono Mountains), your assumption about Lawrence winters may still be true, but my recollection of my youth in Kansas City compared to winters here in Philadelphia leads me to warn you that may not be the case.

In any case, Steamtown National Historic Site was U.S. Rep. Joseph McDade's effort to rescuscitate downtown Scranton — the museum was located in Vermont and struggling mightily to survive when he arranged to have it handed off to the National Park Service and relocated to the largely abandoned Lackawanna Railroad shops and yards in Scranton. The Mall at Steamtown was part of that same effort. The museum is doing okay, and the Radisson hotel in the former Lackawanna passenger station even better, and on my most recent swing through the city a couple of months ago, it no longer had that preserved-in-amber-circa-1949 look it had when I first visited Steamtown ca. 1990 — I think the popularity of the TV sitcom "The Office," set in a fictional paper company located in Scranton, probably helped lift the spirits of "The Electric City," too. (The nickname comes from its being one of the first cities in the country to have a totally electric-powered streetcar system.)

But let me assure you that, even if its winters may be colder, Lawrence is a Midwestern college town, and just about all of those are cooler than Scranton — and, pace Steamtown, livelier too.

Cortez, Colo., or Taos, N.M.?

Old 07-04-2021, 12:10 PM

10,235 posts, read 1,050,335 times

I would rather live in Taos due to the Artist Colony. I would be interesting to experience this type of life.

Lake George NY or Lake Grove NY??

Old 07-04-2021, 01:56 PM

3,502 posts, read 3,426,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I forget whether Scranton is on the inland or seaward side of the jet stream, but in the winter, the jet stream dips to the south such that just about all of the Central Plains is to its north, which means colder winters. Scranton being north of Philadelphia and also sitting at a higher elevation (it's the biggest city in Northeast Pennsylvania, which is adjacent to the Pocono Mountains), your assumption about Lawrence winters may still be true, but my recollection of my youth in Kansas City compared to winters here in Philadelphia leads me to warn you that may not be the case.

In any case, Steamtown National Historic Site was U.S. Rep. Joseph McDade's effort to rescuscitate downtown Scranton — the museum was located in Vermont and struggling mightily to survive when he arranged to have it handed off to the National Park Service and relocated to the largely abandoned Lackawanna Railroad shops and yards in Scranton. The Mall at Steamtown was part of that same effort. The museum is doing okay, and the Radisson hotel in the former Lackawanna passenger station even better, and on my most recent swing through the city a couple of months ago, it no longer had that preserved-in-amber-circa-1949 look it had when I first visited Steamtown ca. 1990 — I think the popularity of the TV sitcom "The Office," set in a fictional paper company located in Scranton, probably helped lift the spirits of "The Electric City," too. (The nickname comes from its being one of the first cities in the country to have a totally electric-powered streetcar system.)

But let me assure you that, even if its winters may be colder, Lawrence is a Midwestern college town, and just about all of those are cooler than Scranton — and, pace Steamtown, livelier too.

Seeing this comment, I might just look over average winter temperatures for both places now. Maybe for all I know Scranton doesn't get as cold in the winter, as I thought it did? You are right for places not too far west of the Atlantic Ocean, that winter temps can be milder vs. if you go west into the mountains.

For the current one, I'd probably pick Lake Grove. If it was for a vacation, I'd go with Lake George though.

Binghamton, NY, or Williamsport, PA?

Old 07-04-2021, 03:35 PM

899 posts, read 529,370 times
Quote:
Seeing this comment, I might just look over average winter temperatures for both places now. Maybe for all I know Scranton doesn't get as cold in the winter, as I thought it did? You are right for places not too far west of the Atlantic Ocean, that winter temps can be milder vs. if you go west into the mountains.

For the current one, I'd probably pick Lake Grove. If it was for a vacation, I'd go with Lake George though.

Binghamton, NY, or Williamsport, PA?
Williamsport seems to be less run down and poor, and Pennsylvania has far fewer regulations than New York.

Detroit, Michigan or Flint, Michigan?

Old 07-04-2021, 10:23 PM

14,343 posts, read 9,225,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by General I80 View Post
Williamsport seems to be less run down and poor, and Pennsylvania has far fewer regulations than New York.

Detroit, Michigan or Flint, Michigan?
Detroit. For all that time has not been kind to the Motor City, it's been even less kind to the birthplace of General Motors. And Detroit appears to be on the mend in places; I don't think I can say that for Flint yet.

Since I went on about college towns:

Princeton, N.J., or State College, Pa.?

Old 07-05-2021, 02:28 PM

6,440 posts, read 5,095,807 times
I like the more varied architecture in State College. Makes it feel like a bit larger of a city, through evoking the feel of passing through more neighborhoods. The businesses also seem less uniformly "college-town" --- streetviewing around town, I've seen a Philly cheesesteak place, an Italian bakery, and more businesses in general away from the downtown/campus area, which might all make it easier to feel at home as a non-student.

Decatur, IL or Odessa, TX?

Old 07-05-2021, 02:58 PM

899 posts, read 529,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I like the more varied architecture in State College. Makes it feel like a bit larger of a city, through evoking the feel of passing through more neighborhoods. The businesses also seem less uniformly "college-town" --- streetviewing around town, I've seen a Philly cheesesteak place, an Italian bakery, and more businesses in general away from the downtown/campus area, which might all make it easier to feel at home as a non-student.

Decatur, IL or Odessa, TX?
Both cities are similar, but the states of Texas and Illinois are not. Illinois is a lot more restrictive overall than Texas, so I prefer Odessa.

Dublin, Ohio or Dublin, California?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City