Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2018, 07:02 PM

755 posts, read 578,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post

Sheboygan, WI

It is larger (50k vs 5k) and is much closer to major cities like Chicago and Milwaukee with all the amenities they offer. Cheboygan, MI certainly is well located for vacations though, with easy access to Mackinac Island and Michigan's UP area, but is much further from urban areas. Sheboygan, WI is preferable for full time living IMO.

Platteville, CO or Stewartville, MN?
Stewartville, MN. Lower cost of living, more people, & is near Minneapolis, St.Paul, & La Crosse, WI.

Plano, TX or Sugar Land, TX?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 11:13 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,227,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASJackson814 View Post
Stewartville, MN. Lower cost of living, more people, & is near Minneapolis, St.Paul, & La Crosse, WI.

Plano, TX

These are both large and generally well regarded suburbs of Dallas (Plano) and Houston (Sugar Land). Forbes recently rated Plano as the safest US city with over 100,000 population. The metroplex also provides another major city not too far away, for what it's worth: Fort Worth. Has NHL hockey. Houston does not.

May be wrong on this but while almost all of Texas is too hot in the summer IMO, I think Houston/Sugar Land usually gets the high heat and humidity a few weeks longer than Dallas/Plano.

Baton Rouge, LA or Richmond, VA?

Last edited by chessgeek; 06-21-2018 at 11:40 PM..

Old 06-21-2018, 11:26 PM

631 posts, read 567,671 times
Quote:
Plano, TX

Slight edge. These are both large and generally well regarded suburbs of Dallas (Plano) and Houston (Sugar Land). The metroplex also provides another major city not too far away, for what it's worth: Fort Worth. Has NHL hockey. Houston does not.

May be wrong on this but while almost all of Texas is too hot in the summer IMO, I think Houston gets the high heat and humidity a good few weeks to a month longer than Dallas.
You broke down the game -- you need to post 2 cities.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:27 PM

631 posts, read 567,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASJackson814 View Post

Sugar Land -- it's closer to the Gulf beaches and to New Orleans.

Lafayette, LA
or
Lafayette, IN

Old 06-22-2018, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Plano, TX

These are both large and generally well regarded suburbs of Dallas (Plano) and Houston (Sugar Land). Forbes recently rated Plano as the safest US city with over 100,000 population. The metroplex also provides another major city not too far away, for what it's worth: Fort Worth. Has NHL hockey. Houston does not.

May be wrong on this but while almost all of Texas is too hot in the summer IMO, I think Houston/Sugar Land usually gets the high heat and humidity a few weeks longer than Dallas/Plano.

I did provide two cities... Baton Rouge, LA or Richmond, VA?

Old 06-22-2018, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ner View Post
Sugar Land -- it's closer to the Gulf beaches and to New Orleans.

Lafayette, LA
or
Lafayette, IN
Lafayette, IN

Much closer to Indianapolis than Lafayette, LA is to New Orleans. Less oppressive summer weather, not to mention late spring/early fall. (heat/humidity). Would probably choose Lafayette, LA for a visit; but Lafayette, IN to live.

Old 06-22-2018, 04:46 AM

14,343 posts, read 9,230,666 times
Quote:
Lafayette, IN

Much closer to Indianapolis than Lafayette, LA is to New Orleans. Less oppressive summer weather, not to mention late spring/early fall. (heat/humidity). Would probably choose Lafayette, LA for a visit; but Lafayette, IN to live.

Richmond, in part for the same reasons you chose the Indiana Lafayette over the Lousiana one. (You won't dine as well for having done so, though.) But Baton Rouge feels like the state capitol and the state university define everything, while the capitol isn't the only thing going on in Richmond. (Both states have distinctive capitol buildings; it's interesting to contrast Jefferson's modest Greek temple in Virginia with Huey Long's Art Deco skyscraper in Louisiana. What do those buildings tell you about their respective states?) I think it's also way more physically attractive than Baton Rouge and has several interesting neighborhoods (coughFan District, Monument Avenuecough)to hang out in (the former) / gawk at (the latter).

Mission Hills, Kan., or Beverly Hills, Calif.?

Old 06-22-2018, 12:05 PM

2,570 posts, read 2,907,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Richmond, in part for the same reasons you chose the Indiana Lafayette over the Lousiana one. (You won't dine as well for having done so, though.) But Baton Rouge feels like the state capitol and the state university define everything, while the capitol isn't the only thing going on in Richmond. (Both states have distinctive capitol buildings; it's interesting to contrast Jefferson's modest Greek temple in Virginia with Huey Long's Art Deco skyscraper in Louisiana. What do those buildings tell you about their respective states?) I think it's also way more physically attractive than Baton Rouge and has several interesting neighborhoods (coughFan District, Monument Avenuecough)to hang out in (the former) / gawk at (the latter).

Mission Hills, Kan., or Beverly Hills, Calif.?
Beverly Hills... Mission Hills seems like a nice place to live but since I already live in a very expensive metro (NYC), having my dollar stretch farther is not that important to me. I'd ultimately like to live in the area with nicer weather, proximity to the ocean, more cultural diversity, and more to-do overall.

Wichita, KS or Toledo, OH?

Old 06-22-2018, 12:22 PM

675 posts, read 648,474 times
Been through Toledo at night. Never the day. Looked a tad depressed, but livable. I could always head to Detroit if I wanted a megacity, and Windsor is nearby for Canada. Wichita seems like a nice midwestern city, and maybe better kept, but kind of bland. But again, never been to KS, and have lots of family in OH (CLE, which I'm having a hard time liking, even though I adore the rest of Ohio).

So, Toledo by a hair.

Pensacola (western FL panhandle) or Panama City (eastern FL panhandle)?

Old 06-23-2018, 09:26 AM

23,569 posts, read 44,282,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Transplant View Post
Been through Toledo at night. Never the day. Looked a tad depressed, but livable. I could always head to Detroit if I wanted a megacity, and Windsor is nearby for Canada. Wichita seems like a nice midwestern city, and maybe better kept, but kind of bland. But again, never been to KS, and have lots of family in OH (CLE, which I'm having a hard time liking, even though I adore the rest of Ohio).

So, Toledo by a hair.

Pensacola (western FL panhandle) or Panama City (eastern FL panhandle)?
Pensacola, since it has less of a tourist orientation Plus I was born there.

Dallas, TX or Atlanta, GA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City