Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2022, 08:37 AM

2,566 posts, read 2,900,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I'm probably your opposite number in that regard, but in the pair you were given, I'd also go with New Braunfels over New Brunswick because better barbecue.

However, I'd prefer the New Jersey Lumberton over the Texas one because greener, more intimately scaled and in a more interesting metropolitan area (the one I already live in). I'd have to do without Whataburger, though, and that's a loss.

Matchup between the state capitals of my native and adopted home states, which have several things in common, actually:

Jefferson City, Mo., or Harrisburg, Pa.?
Harrisburg... It's more urban/cosmopolitan and is part of a much more attractive region to me. Jefferson City seems like a decent place, but is less of what I'm looking for politically/culturally.

In another state capital battle:

Concord, NH or Dover, DE?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2022, 10:13 PM

899 posts, read 528,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Harrisburg... It's more urban/cosmopolitan and is part of a much more attractive region to me. Jefferson City seems like a decent place, but is less of what I'm looking for politically/culturally.

In another state capital battle:

Concord, NH or Dover, DE?
Concord. It's a lot safer, and it has New Hampshire taxes (which are very low).

Madison, WI or Santa Barbara, CA?

Old 11-29-2022, 11:02 PM

2,377 posts, read 2,350,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by General I80 View Post
Concord. It's a lot safer, and it has New Hampshire taxes (which are very low).

Madison, WI or Santa Barbara, CA?
Santa Barbara, I think you’d have to be crazy to go with Madison here. I’m not the biggest fan of SB, but who wants to endure a Wisconsin winter? Plus, SB is pretty nice anyway, it’s just small for my taste.

Arlington, VA vs Cambridge, MA

Old 11-29-2022, 11:16 PM

887 posts, read 481,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Santa Barbara, I think you’d have to be crazy to go with Madison here. I’m not the biggest fan of SB, but who wants to endure a Wisconsin winter? Plus, SB is pretty nice anyway, it’s just small for my taste.

Arlington, VA vs Cambridge, MA
Arlington for me since it’s warmer and I prefer the DC MSA to Boston. It’s also more affordable as well. Both are great though.

Philadelphia vs Chicago

Old 11-30-2022, 01:29 PM

3,934 posts, read 2,243,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
Arlington for me since it’s warmer and I prefer the DC MSA to Boston. It’s also more affordable as well. Both are great though.

Philadelphia vs Chicago
Chicago. I've always had a thing for that city. Albuquerque or Tucson?

Old 11-30-2022, 07:44 PM

16,589 posts, read 10,726,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Chicago. I've always had a thing for that city. Albuquerque or Tucson?
I prefer Tucson, but I don't think I could survive their summers. So, Albuquerque it is.

Amarillo, TX or El Paso, TX?

Old 11-30-2022, 11:04 PM

14,317 posts, read 9,198,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I prefer Tucson, but I don't think I could survive their summers. So, Albuquerque it is.

Amarillo, TX or El Paso, TX?
El Paso. Even though it's more isolated than Amarillo, it has more interesting character and culture thanks to its being wedged between Mexico and New Mexico (and IMO it really belongs in the latter state).

Topeka, Kan., or Little Rock, Ark.?

Old 12-01-2022, 07:29 AM

13,755 posts, read 8,058,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Topeka, Kan., or Little Rock, Ark.?
I'd go with Little Rock mainly for the milder, wetter climate that makes for greener and more tree-rich environs.

Saginaw, Michigan or Gadsden, Alabama?

Old 12-01-2022, 07:48 AM

5,300 posts, read 6,107,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I'd go with Little Rock mainly for the milder, wetter climate that makes for greener and more tree-rich environs.

Saginaw, Michigan or Gadsden, Alabama?
This is tougher than I thought. I'm a Michigan homer so I tend to be biased toward MI. But the area around Saginaw/Tri-cities are some of the most economically stagnant in the state, and it's generally regarded around 20 years behind times. My least favorite cities in the state. My initial thought was Gasden for the better weather/ prettier scenery. However it's relative isolation and smaller population may not be enough to over come Saginaw's negatives for me. You can still have a pretty good quality of life in Saginaw with a lot more day to day amenities that come with a more populated area. As long as you have a degree or skillset decent jobs, and excess disposable income are not hard to come by.

I'll take Saginaw for the fantastic summers, amenities of 500k metro, and access to Michigan vacation country. Though Gadsden with it's better overall winters and being within an hour or Bham and what it has to offer is a close second here.

Madison WI, or Huntsville AL?

Old 12-01-2022, 08:20 AM

14,317 posts, read 9,198,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
This is tougher than I thought. I'm a Michigan homer so I tend to be biased toward MI. But the area around Saginaw/Tri-cities are some of the most economically stagnant in the state, and it's generally regarded around 20 years behind times. My least favorite cities in the state. My initial thought was Gasden for the better weather/ prettier scenery. However it's relative isolation and smaller population may not be enough to over come Saginaw's negatives for me. You can still have a pretty good quality of life in Saginaw with a lot more day to day amenities that come with a more populated area. As long as you have a degree or skillset decent jobs, and excess disposable income are not hard to come by.

I'll take Saginaw for the fantastic summers, amenities of 500k metro, and access to Michigan vacation country. Though Gadsden with it's better overall winters and being within an hour or Bham and what it has to offer is a close second here.

Madison WI, or Huntsville AL?
Two dynamic college cities, one of them a state capital. Damn good and awfully close match.

I suspect that many might choose one or the other based on their political preferences, though I'll wager that Huntsville isn't terribly conservative since it's a college town. But that's not what tips the scale for me.

It's cheese.

They make tons of it in Wisconsin. I don't think they make any in Alabama.

And since I'm not a winterphobe, the weather is a non-issue. I'll take Madison in this matchup.

Normal, Ill., or Erie, Pa.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City