Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2022, 07:47 AM

9,416 posts, read 13,082,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
New Orleans for me. Just a more interesting city overall with more culture. Jacksonville seems like an ok place to live but just doesn't have the same level of culture and intrigue as New Orleans

Springfield MA or Springfield OR?
Springfield, MA. I don’t know much about either, but while I’m sure Springfield, OR is a perfectly lovely place, I’d probably prefer to stay on the East Coast closer to friends or family. If this were a question of where to visit, however, I’d pick Springfield, OR for sure!

Minnetonka, MN or Upper Dublin Township, PA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2022, 08:20 AM

13,814 posts, read 8,095,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Minnetonka, MN or Upper Dublin Township, PA?
Upper Dublin Township. I like Philly as far as big cities go, and it's really a naturally beautiful area. Plus I'd prefer the milder winters compared to the Twin Cities.

Lake Jackson, Texas or Lake Helen, Florida?

Old 11-17-2022, 08:37 AM

2,570 posts, read 2,908,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Upper Dublin Township. I like Philly as far as big cities go, and it's really a naturally beautiful area. Plus I'd prefer the milder winters compared to the Twin Cities.

Lake Jackson, Texas or Lake Helen, Florida?
Lake Jackson... it's a little further from Houston's core than Lake Helen is from Orlando's core, but it does have a lot more going on in the town itself (shopping, restaurant, amenities) which makes it a more appealing place to me for day-to-day living.

Idaho Falls, ID or Missoula, MT?

Old 11-17-2022, 09:13 PM

3,507 posts, read 3,429,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Lake Jackson... it's a little further from Houston's core than Lake Helen is from Orlando's core, but it does have a lot more going on in the town itself (shopping, restaurant, amenities) which makes it a more appealing place to me for day-to-day living.

While I think both cities would be good in their own way, I'll lean towards picking Missoula here. Since to me I slightly prefer Missoula's location, and I think Missoula is a little bigger. That said, Idaho Falls doesn't look bad either when I street viewed it, and I think I'd be fine living in Idaho Falls as well. And not being too far away from Grand Teton National Park, Yellowstone N.P., and the Salt Lake City area isn't bad either. And to be honest, I think there'd be more interesting things for me to explore in rural Montana, than rural Idaho.

I'm bored, so I will compare 2 NY smaller cities that have had very noticeable population declines in more recent decades. Watertown, NY, or Jamestown, NY?

Old 11-17-2022, 09:21 PM

3,942 posts, read 2,255,081 times
Quote:

Probably Idaho Falls. Tampa or Orlando?

Old 11-17-2022, 09:52 PM

4,788 posts, read 3,088,082 times
Quote:

Both must surely have long bitter winters.

OTOH, both have great national parks not far away (Yellowstone & Grand Teton, Glacier).

Both seem to have abundant street trees.

But Missoula's immediate surroundings look more interesting, judging by Streetview
(more peaks and forests), whereas the land around Idaho Falls looks mostly flat.

So I'd choose Missoula.

Pueblo CO or Las Cruces NM?

Old 11-17-2022, 11:26 PM

3,507 posts, read 3,429,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Both must surely have long bitter winters.

OTOH, both have great national parks not far away (Yellowstone & Grand Teton, Glacier).

Both seem to have abundant street trees.

But Missoula's immediate surroundings look more interesting, judging by Streetview
(more peaks and forests), whereas the land around Idaho Falls looks mostly flat.

So I'd choose Missoula.

Pueblo CO or Las Cruces NM?
Pueblo has a little more crime than I prefer, and it appears Las Cruces' cost of living is a little lower. So I'll go with Las Cruces.

One comparison above that didn't yet get answered, was Tampa. As I'd prefer being near the Gulf, I'll pick Tampa.

Reasking my earlier comparison of 2 smaller New York state cities that've seen declining population, in more recent decades: Jamestown, NY, or Watertown, NY?

Old 11-19-2022, 10:28 PM

2,381 posts, read 2,364,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Pueblo has a little more crime than I prefer, and it appears Las Cruces' cost of living is a little lower. So I'll go with Las Cruces.

One comparison above that didn't yet get answered, was Tampa. As I'd prefer being near the Gulf, I'll pick Tampa.

Reasking my earlier comparison of 2 smaller New York state cities that've seen declining population, in more recent decades: Jamestown, NY, or Watertown, NY?
Watertown. I wouldn’t want to be in either to be honest, but Watertown is close to some interesting parks just east like High Peaks.

Santa Fe, NM vs Colorado Springs, CO

Old 11-20-2022, 01:49 AM

6,441 posts, read 5,098,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Watertown. I wouldn’t want to be in either to be honest, but Watertown is close to some interesting parks just east like High Peaks.

Santa Fe, NM vs Colorado Springs, CO
I feel like Santa Fe'd be interesting for a year, just experiencing the culture of millionaires LARPing as hippies, and attending board meetings where an affordable apartment complex gets voted down because the shade of orange of the paint is 0.6% too dark to fit the town's design scheme.

For any longer period of time, COS. I have an old friend in Seattle who grew up there, and is pretty progressive and secular, so the fact that he doesn't trash the place constantly is a pretty strong endorsement. It should be easy enough to find culture outside the church there. The Colorado City neighborhood which I've streetviewed a couple times seems like a cool area to hang out.

Stevens Point, WI or College Station, TX?

Old 11-21-2022, 06:50 AM

8,992 posts, read 17,365,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I feel like Santa Fe'd be interesting for a year, just experiencing the culture of millionaires LARPing as hippies, and attending board meetings where an affordable apartment complex gets voted down because the shade of orange of the paint is 0.6% too dark to fit the town's design scheme.

For any longer period of time, COS. I have an old friend in Seattle who grew up there, and is pretty progressive and secular, so the fact that he doesn't trash the place constantly is a pretty strong endorsement. It should be easy enough to find culture outside the church there. The Colorado City neighborhood which I've streetviewed a couple times seems like a cool area to hang out.

Stevens Point, WI or College Station, TX?
This feels like a trap question. Let me tell you something though, Stevens Point isn't so bad. It isn't on the lake, but there is plenty of hiking and biking up that way. The Green Circle Trail is great. Stevens Point has a nice downtown, it is a nice city if you're into small places. Neither College Station nor Stevens Point would be in my top 10 places to relocate too, but I think Stevens Point is the better place here. On Wisconsin!

Lexington KY or Columbia MO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City