Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2021, 01:24 PM

19 posts, read 13,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by councilor j View Post
Although Lafayette is a nice small city in Louisiana it’s also kind of plain in my opinion. I’d definitely give Huntington a chance. West Virginia looks pretty.

Fresno CA or St George Utah?
St. George seems like a decent town.

Chardon, OH or Iron Mountain, MI?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2021, 03:14 PM

3,942 posts, read 2,253,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCreditNoProblem View Post
St. George seems like a decent town.

Chardon, OH or Iron Mountain, MI?
Chardon. Not as Bakersfield CA or Tallahassee FL?

Old 12-10-2021, 03:45 PM

13,814 posts, read 8,089,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Bakersfield CA or Tallahassee FL?
Tallahassee. I loved living there and would happily move back if the circumstances were right.

Missoula, Montana or Harrisonburg, Virginia?

Old 12-10-2021, 05:18 PM

19 posts, read 13,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Tallahassee. I loved living there and would happily move back if the circumstances were right.

Missoula, Montana or Harrisonburg, Virginia?
Harrisonburg because the Appalachians don't get droughts or wildfires.

Lancaster, PA or Grand Island, NE?

Old 12-10-2021, 05:45 PM

9,728 posts, read 9,497,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCreditNoProblem View Post
Harrisonburg because the Appalachians don't get droughts or wildfires.

Lancaster, PA or Grand Island, NE?
Lancaster, PA due to having a better downtown and more historic things to experience.

Ashland, KY or Jonesboro, AR?

Old 12-12-2021, 02:45 PM

44,413 posts, read 20,161,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Lancaster, PA due to having a better downtown and more historic things to experience.

Ashland, KY or Jonesboro, AR?
Ashland, KY. I've never been to either city, but after doing a bit of research on both, Ashland appeals to me more. Its location in Appalachia (I had no idea it was that far east!), its parks & rec department and city amenities all appear very inviting. It looks like a lovely place to live.

South Bend, IN or Kalamazoo, MI?

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 12-12-2021, 04:21 PM

9,728 posts, read 9,497,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSaturn View Post
Ashland, KY. I've never been to either city, but after doing a bit of research on both, Ashland appeals to me more. Its location in Appalachia (I had no idea it was that far east!), its parks & rec department and city amenities all appear very inviting. It looks like a lovely place to live.

Very close call. I have more experience with South Bend and have only driven through Kalamazoo. I like South Bend's downtown and the Notre Dame campus. The city has really cleaned up from what it used to be. Kalamazoo looks inviting as well. I will choose Kalamazoo for its newer looking downtown and arts scene.

St. Paul, MN or Richmond, VA?

Old 12-12-2021, 04:35 PM

3,507 posts, read 3,427,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSaturn View Post

Both cities to me, have a similar vibe to them. Along with having certain nearby suburbs and also towns not too far away, that are nice(i.e. New Carlisle west of South Bend, and Lawton west of K'zoo). And Goshen isn't too far away from South Bend, and same with Paw Paw not far from K'zoo. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few other good ones, but that's okay. On a side note I think certain posters sometimes underrate South Bend a little bit on C-D, IMO.

Now to really make a narrow determination, between these 2. This one is tough, since I see both advantages and disadvantages to either place. The crime rate is almost the very same between both cities, looking at the C-D profile pages for both cities and looking under the annual crime rates. I'll be honest though beforehand I had this weird feeling that I'd prefer Kalamazoo, but the more I dig and look at K'zoo, the more it doesn't stand out as much as I thought. And when I checked flightconnections.com , South Bend's airport has 12 destinations(including a few as current limited time seasonal destinations), and K'zoo's airport only has 2 destinations(ETA which are only to Chicago or Detroit). Between that and the South Shore Line train, and a slightly lower cost of living(when it comes to average house prices), I'll very narrowly go with South Bend. I'd have nothing against living in Kalamazoo, though.

Toledo, OH, or Erie, PA?

Last edited by SonySegaTendo617; 12-12-2021 at 05:04 PM..

Old 12-12-2021, 04:53 PM

11,669 posts, read 18,012,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Both cities to me, have a similar vibe to them. Along with having certain nearby suburbs and also towns not too far away, that are nice(i.e. New Carlisle west of South Bend, and Lawton west of K'zoo). And Goshen isn't too far away from South Bend, and same with Paw Paw not far from K'zoo. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few other good ones, but that's okay. On a side note I think certain posters sometimes underrate South Bend a little bit on C-D, IMO.

Now to really make a narrow determination, between these 2. This one is tough, since I see both advantages and disadvantages to either place. The crime rate is almost the very same between both cities, looking at the C-D profile pages for both cities and looking under the annual crime rates. I'll be honest though beforehand I had this weird feeling that I'd prefer Kalamazoo, but the more I dig and look at K'zoo, the more it doesn't stand out as much as I thought. And when I checked flightconnections.com , South Bend's airport has 12 destinations(including a few as current limited time seasonal destinations), and K'zoo's airport only has 2 destinations. Between that and the South Shore Line train, and a slightly lower cost of living(when it comes to average house prices), I'll very narrowly go with South Bend. I'd have nothing against living in Kalamazoo, though.

Toledo, OH, or Erie, PA?
Erie, PA. I've actually been there back in 2013 and kind of liked it. It was winter, even. But it had the industrial great lakes aesthetic and vibe which I really like. I like the small size of the city, too.

Jacksonville, FL or Burlington, VT?

Old 12-12-2021, 09:52 PM

14,343 posts, read 9,230,666 times
A couple of perhaps nonconformist picks. First, this one got skipped:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Very close call. I have more experience with South Bend and have only driven through Kalamazoo. I like South Bend's downtown and the Notre Dame campus. The city has really cleaned up from what it used to be. Kalamazoo looks inviting as well. I will choose Kalamazoo for its newer looking downtown and arts scene.

St. Paul, MN or Richmond, VA?
Both are state capitals, and St. Paul is also part of a bigger metropolitan area than Richmond is. In addition, the Twin Cities are known for having a high QOL, outstanding arts and culture, and lots of greenery thanks to the parks surrounding those lakes.

But Richmond is pretty green, too. It also has some outstanding arts and culture facilities, in particular the Virginia Museum of Art, and you can go whitewater rafting on the James River downtown. Love may be all around in St. Paul (okay, Mary Richards lived in Minneapolis, but it will count here), but Richmond has a vibe that mixes Southern charm with urban cool in a way I haven't seen anywhere outside New Orleans.

So Richmond it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Erie, PA. I've actually been there back in 2013 and kind of liked it. It was winter, even. But it had the industrial great lakes aesthetic and vibe which I really like. I like the small size of the city, too.

Jacksonville, FL or Burlington, VT?
Again, Jacksonville dwarfs Burlington. But both are the most populous cities in their respective states.

I'm not a winterphobe, so the fact that Burlington has much more of it doesn't faze me a bit. Since I've never been to either, I may be selling one or both short, but it seems to me that Jacksonville is sort of sleepy (for a large city) while Burlington is pretty lively (for a small one).

So Burlington it is.

Des Moines or Albuquerque?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City